IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Saddleback Caterpillar

empireo22

Anyone have these exotic looking caterpillars in their garden? I do and their sting is quite painful. I read they are common on Adonidia merilli...

We don't get them in Cali, but if you want to kill 'em off, get yourself some bacillus thuringensis (sp?) aka "BT" from Home Despot or wherever.

Bacteria that kills caterpillars and beetle grubs, nothing else.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

We don't get them in Cali, but if you want to kill 'em off, get yourself some bacillus thuringensis (sp?) aka "BT" from Home Despot or wherever.

Bacteria that kills caterpillars and beetle grubs, nothing else.

Dave,

Thanks for the response. I do have them, but they arent a major problem, just a very painful sting....I was wanting to hear some members experience with them...

by the way the "bt" sounds useful for the japanese beetles

I walked face first into some kind of stinging caterpillar at a nursery & got stung on the neck. A really painful, burning sting that lasted about a hour. I never got a good look at it cause I immediately obliterated with my shoe, but it was bright green.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

In my 30 years at the nursery, I probably have been stung more than anyone. And I still get really pissed!!!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ah geeze, something else to look forward to. We have a stinging nettle caterpillar that's a real beaut. I saw a couple in the yard a few years ago, but

thankfully not since then. They are really bad on some parts of the island and the sting can last for a week or so. Nice huh?

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here's what this little bugger looks like...

post-1122-0-60878400-1345128713.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

One brushed my forehead once (it was on a banana leaf. It felt just like a ball bat hitting me in the head. I couldnt feel what had hit me that hard --- I turned the leaf over and lo and behold.

Stinging caterpillars can be deadly, though we don't seem to have really nasty ones here in the U.S.

Here's one in Latin America:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonomia

800px-Taturana.JPG

800px-Lonomia-Obliqua.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That previous moth is Lonomia obliqua

DEADLY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonomia_obliqua

I've been hit a few times. It really does hurt. I had a piece of tissue slough off at the point on contact about three days latter.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Here are a few shots of saddlebacks in my garden. I've had them on bananas, palms (various) and birds of paradise. I've been stung more than a few times bringing potted plants in for the winter.

A.stimulea.20100828-01.jpg

A.stimulea.20100828-02.jpg

This one is probably already dead - killed by larvae (of a parasitic wasp) that are now pupating in the many cocoons attached to its back.

A.stimulea.20100828-03.jpg

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com