IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms of Colombia

Jeff in St Pete

Colombia has long been on my top 5 list of places to visit and next month I'm finally going. I plan to spend my time between Bogota and Medellin. I think both cities have botanical gardens which I will visit, but does anyone have any other recommendations for palm viewing?

I was reading a Colombian Tourism site (http://www.colombia.travel/en/) which says:

Colombia is first in the world with

• 1,876 bird species, equivalent to 20% of the world total
  • 258 species of palm trees, the highest number in the world

I realize that many of these palm species are most likely found in the Amazon region of Colombia (which I do not plan to visit on this trip), but what about the areas around Bogota and Medellin? If anyone has any recommendations, I would really appreciate the input. I look forward to seeing lots of Ceroxylon!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Colombia is a beautiful place! I was lucky enough to spend a month there last summer and spent a few days in both Bogota and Medellin. Between the two cities you are visiting, I definitely preferred Medellin. It was a great city wth a nice botanical garden. However, I would definitely recommend getting away from the large metropolis and check out some of the smaller towns in the coffee growing regions. Also, if you are taking a bus between Bogota and Medellin, it would be well worth your while to take the route through Salento (a nice small town to spend a day or two in) and check out the Valle de Cocora. It is an absolutely majestic sight. Pictures of the towering Ceroxylons dont even do it justice. I would love to get back there one day and hopefully you will be able to see it for yourself.

post-6225-0-61194400-1344571598_thumb.jp

Town square in Salento

post-6225-0-14344200-1344571840_thumb.jp

Forrest of wax palms

Grant
Long Beach, CA

Grant, thanks for the info and the photos. I'm traveling with a friend who is not interested in palms, but I hope to get away and do a few side trips on my own.

Jeff, please look at my trip topics below:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1988

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2035

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3406

I'm sure you'll get to see a lot of palm sights and taste a lot of the culture that Colombia has to offer. If you go to Bogotá don't forget to go to the José Celestino Mutis Botanical Gardens. I saw the most beatiful Ceroxylon quindiuenses and related species of the most amazing size (see thread # 3). Also, try to go to the Museo Nacional, Museo del Oro, Monserrate, and if you like a good flame broiled steak, ask around for "Andres carne de res". Around the city you'll see young C. quindiuense and Archontophoenix (King palms). If you have the chance, take the route from Bogotá to Girardot, where you will see the amazing drop in altitude from 2600 mts to almost sea level, with the corresponding flora changes. You'll get an idea as to how high can Coconuts grow. In that same route you'll see vast forests of Attalea butyracea. And if you continue to the Quindio department (I have not visited yet) go to the Parque del Café to see the amazing tour of the Coffee harvesting process and Ceroxylon quindiuense in habitat. Hope you enjoy!DSC01130.jpg

DSC01193.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

We look forward to your travel log Jeff and are glad you're not shy about using your camera.

Grant & Frank, those are great photos. Those C. quindiuensis are drop dead fantastic.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

SO looking forward for your travel log!! It's a special place in terms of plants and beauty. Have a wonderful time, Jeff. Best wishes.

Patricia

Frank, thanks for the links and info. I just finished viewing your old posts and they made me more excited to go! Can't wait to see those beautiful Ceroxylons. I will be there for two weeks so hopefully I will have time to see a lot of cool stuff like you did.

Thanks Tim. Thanks Patricia. I will have tons of photos to post when I get back. :)

Colombia, :drool: Jeff, its certainly on our " TO DO" List when our younger children have left school so we can spend so much time there, cant wait to see your Colombia pics when you return....Every Australian friend that has been to Colombia said it was their "greatest getaway ever". I never forget "Lonely Planet" ( 10 years ago) saying Colombia is" the most underrated travel destination in the World"

Frank, immensely enjoyed your travel threads and pics, "Fantastic", cant wait for all our Ceroxylons to be of size. :drool: Pete

Jeff, here are a few more photos that a friend of mine took back in March of this year. He knew I'd enjoy these pics as they were traveling around

Columbia. Definitely a 'bucket list' must see.

post-1300-0-78890100-1344671496_thumb.jp post-1300-0-65921000-1344671498_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Really looking forward to the travel log! Take plenty of pics, bring back some seed, and enjoy the food. Travel safe...pura vida

Nathan DeWees
Playa Negra, Costa Rica

Do you guys have any concerns about personal safety (FARC guerillas) ? Are there some areas that are less safe, and prudent to avoid? How does one make such a determination ? I know that FARC renounced tourist kidnapping last spring, but I remain dubious.

My wife is getting very good with her conversational level Spanish, and I would love to travel to Colombia.

San Francisco, California

Do you guys have any concerns about personal safety (FARC guerillas) ? Are there some areas that are less safe, and prudent to avoid? How does one make such a determination ? I know that FARC renounced tourist kidnapping last spring, but I remain dubious.

My wife is getting very good with her conversational level Spanish, and I would love to travel to Colombia.

FARC target oil company workers. Oil companies "take and pollute" and give back little, no wonder they are targeted.

Tim that 2nd pic of the Ceroxylon quin loaded with seed is "awesome"..What a "fantastic home" for the Macaws to live and raise their young.

No doubt the US authorities will be able to give specific advice as would the locals and I think matters are much better these days. I also found that road blocks stopped me straying into dangerous areas though even so I witnessed one murder, found a dead body outside my pension, and narrowly escaped serious injury in a bomb blast. Colombians are tremendously friendly but you need to be a little careful where you go, as you do in the USA!

Awesome photos of those Ceroxylons Frank and Tim...I look forward to Jeff's report...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Jeff, have a great trip! I was an exchange student in Colombia a hundred years ago and I'm glad Trópico suggested El Museo de Oro, it was one of the most impressive sights I remember from Bogota.

Can't wait for the photos!

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Jeff, looking forward to your photos. Have a great trip and some good palm hunting time.

Cheers

Brod

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Jeff, I'm sure you will love Colombia and knowing Spanish as you do will make it even more enjoyable. Many years ago when the IPS had a post Biennial trip to Colombia, I went and found it most interesting. We flew into Bogota but spent most of our time in the beautiful Cali region, then a side trip via bus with many interesting stops (mountain slopes to true tropical wet rain forest) arriving at Buenaventura on the Pacific coast. The plant life was incredible. We tried 2-different times to fly out from Cali to go south to Pasto but the plane had to return both times because of the weather - not uncommon for the high elevation Pasto area. We had hoped to go there to see more species of Ceroxylon. We did see beautiful stands of Ceroxylon quindiuense traveling out from Cali though. At the end of the trip we returned to Bogota for a day and night stay before flying back to Miami. With so many beautiful places and palms to see and visit in other parts of Colombia, Bogota is not one where I'd prefer to spend much time. We did not go to Medellin but I've heard it is an interesting area as well. I'm sure you'll find Colombia a facinating place to visit. I'm ready to go back again!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 1 year later...

" I witnessed one murder, found a dead body outside my pension, and narrowly escaped serious injury in a bomb blast. "

Are you freaking kidding me??! In what length of time did you encounter this carnage?

" I witnessed one murder, found a dead body outside my pension, and narrowly escaped serious injury in a bomb blast. "

Are you freaking kidding me??! In what length of time did you encounter this carnage?

I spent a couple of years cycling all over South America and maybe 2 months in Colombia. But this was in the early 1990's and the country is doing much better now with many areas being safe. I had almost no money so when not camping stayed in the worst areas... Don't accept any food on the buses. I found an American wandering having been drugged and all his stuff stolen! My wife travelled there on her own without incident.

I spent a week in Bogota and a week in Medellin last year and didn't have any problems at all. I felt safe in both cities as there were plenty of police around. I found the Colombian people to be very friendly and helpful towards foreigners. Will definitely go back again.