IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spotlight on Astrocaryum

Daryl

One of the spinier palms in my garden, this one seems to get better with age. It has a big 'presence' in the garden. The spines are up to 25cm (10 inches) long and razor sharp. It is covered in spines, from the large leafbase spines to tiny hair spines on the leaflets...not to be messed with :)

However, it is a stately palm with beautiful colours and worthy of being more widely grown. It is very tolerant of my climate and survives drought, cool weather (-1C) and heat (44C).

Please post photos and a description of any Astrocaryums you are growing...

post-42-0-10890700-1343602658_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-14117200-1343602669_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-40931900-1343602661_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-60771700-1343602665_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl,

Thanks for posting a thread about one of the more common palms around these parts. I have grown to appeaciate very much the role of this palm in the local landscape. The king of the Astrocaryums here being the A. aculeatum, the tucumã. I have posted a lot pictures of differents members of this family over the past years. One of the nicest Astrocaryum is the A. jauari which grows in the seasonally flooded areas in the region. These are on the other side of the Negro River from Manaus.

post-188-0-98881200-1343607567_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I recently posted these same photos of our only Astrocaryum (murumuru) on another thread. However, I'm happy to repost them as I do like this well-armored palm. Of course I can't take credit at all as it was planted by the previous owner of my farm. Well, we have pulled a few vines and wounded ourselves removing an old frond so maybe we've earned a bit of ownership. Luckily it's far enough away from the nearby main path to avoid having it attack unsuspecting visitors (only careless owners). However it's still close enough for us to admire it everytime we head to that half of the farm.

post-4111-0-83075700-1343607405_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-36926900-1343607424_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-82803700-1343607446_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

I recently posted these same photos of our only Astrocaryum (murumuru) on another thread. However, I'm happy to repost them as I do like this well-armored palm. Of course I can't take credit at all as it was planted by the previous owner of my farm. Well, we have pulled a few vines and wounded ourselves removing an old frond so maybe we've earned a bit of ownership. Luckily it's far enough away from the nearby main path to avoid having it attack unsuspecting visitors (only careless owners). However it's still close enough for us to admire it everytime we head to that half of the farm.

Cindy, which sp of Astrocaryum is Yours? Many have a common name of murumuru but are all different. Is yours aculeatum or chambira which Don has told me they are both very very similar.... ( i looked them up in Harri Loernzi "Brazilian Flora " book and they certainly are "near identical).."I believed your words straight away anyway Don since you live in their heartland.. :) I Love Astrocaryums and only have 2 differentAstrocaryums but am "very keen " to grow more I have A Astrocaryum Alatum which has near entire Leaves, A stunning Palm, the 2 shots are a night shot of a small part of 2.5mtrs leaf..The other Astrocaryum we have is A Ferrugineum ( common name murmuru de terra firme..not murumuru)

1 of the pics has a 1 foot ruler taped on the back to show width of this huge Leaf approx 8mtrs x 2 mtrs wide..All shots have been posted before and the A ferrugineum leaf is longer than the 1 in the pic.

Both A aculeatum and A chambira grow to 30mtrs, ( from Lorenzis book) these are certainly "Giants" . Pete :)

post-5709-0-18741700-1343612692_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-03853600-1343612717_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-78590700-1343612772_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-32631300-1343613876_thumb.jp

Wonderful photos!

Here are a few photos 'not in my garden', that I took while in Ecuador a few years back. We were on a canopy walk and I can't remember

how high we were, but here are what I believe are A. chambira. This was just about the only way you could view them as they were impossible to see from

the jungle floor. They were stunning. The brown spheres hanging from the leaves were the birds nests of Oro pendula, with a call I will never forget.

This was very early in the morning and the fog was starting to lift. It was warm, still, damp, and dreamlike.

There were Iriartea, Socratea, Euterpe precatoria, Attalea, Phytelephas, Geonoma, Bactris and lots of other stuff as far as you could see.

post-1300-0-97822700-1343615739_thumb.jp post-1300-0-17188000-1343615744_thumb.jp post-1300-0-27477100-1343615747_thumb.jp post-1300-0-27703400-1343615750_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim,

Those are nice pictures. From what it looks like in the pictures the area where the astrocaryum are growing is a disturbed forest area,that is it looks like secondary forest not primary. In general these palms grow in these areas. In fact I have not seen them in primary forest. That is the Astrocaryum aculeatum and I imagine the A. chambira. These palms have a close association with humans and although are not purely domesticated like the Bactris gasipaes, they have been favored over the past 5 thousand years or so by humans and more than likely have evolved to have larger fruits. In the Brazilian amazon region this is the case, so I imagine that the same applies to Ecuador.

Here is a video I posted a few years ago of some of my Astrocaryum aculeatums at my place in Paricatuba. At that time there was a group of japiim birds, I believe the same as the oro pendula, living in one of the trees. You can here the call of them quite clearly. The place was quite tidy at that time which is not the case today. But the vegetation has grown a lot. The japiim has a relatonship with wasps that always live where the birds do. You do not want to mess with their nests as the wasps are nasty.

https://picasaweb.go...153405212558418

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Nice photos so far everyone! Keep 'em coming!

I forgot to mention in my original post that I obtained the seed of my plant as Astrocaryum ulei. Later lumped into murumuru...not sure what it is called now...

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I have one small Astrocaryum vulgare, grown from seed...It's growing well so far, but not fast.

I also had 2 young Astrocaryum alatum (one after the other), they both died. Now I'm afraid to try them again, they seem to be quite sensitive when held indoors.

Munich City

USDA Zone 7b

190 miles from next coast.

Elevation 1673ft (510m)

Average annual low temp: 9F (-13C)

Average annual rainfall: 40" (100cm)

One of my A. aculeatum with fruit. I think I have probably from 70 to 100 trees on my property. About 50 of them are of good size.

151220071156.jpg

151220071118-1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

There a few Astrocaryum acaule growing down by the Mauritia grove. They have a real interesting color. The fruits are smaller than the A. aculeatum, but still edible.

151220071101.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The A. aculeatum with fruit is one of the big trees in the picture. I can´t remember which one. The spines of the one on the left have been burned off over the years. People frequently light fires around the trees to burn off the thorns. These trees thrive in poor soils in full sun.

middleoflottowardriverjan23.jpg

The picture below is of one of the trees which has half of the trunk burned through. The tree is still producing fruit and shows no signs of disease. It probably has been like this for many years.

SlopetowardriverJan23.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

More A. acaule fruits.

TucumaiJan23.jpg

These A. aculeatum fruits are about ready for harvest. They sell in Manaus for about 5 USD a dozen.

Tucumfruitjan23.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Pete, I have no idea what species I have if A. murumuru is covering multiple palms. I just went by what I was told by the person who planted it. I do have Lorenzi's book and will look more closely at the tree in the future. I can only look at my photos for now.

Speaking of photos, thanks to all for this thread!

Cindy Adair

A. aculeatum fruit, tucumã, for sale on the street in downtown Manaus.

Tucumavendor.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The palm known as murumuru around here is the Astrocaryum murumurú.

Here is a picture of one in eastern Amazonas state.

MurumuruSitio.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The palm known as murumuru around here is the Astrocaryum murumurú.

Here is a picture of one in eastern Amazonas state.

MurumuruSitio.jpg

Another murumuru in the forest of eastern Amazonas. I have posted this picture before. But, I thought it fit here as well.

Murumuru2.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I'm growing Astrocaryum alatum. It's only small at the moment a good steady grower. That one of yours Daryl is huge. Thanks for the photos Don and Tim.

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

I just took a picture of my Astrocaryum murumurus, 5-gal bucket for scale, larger one planted almost three years ago, others just over two years ago. Germinating seeds picked up on forest floor in Amazon forest/farmland an hours drive from the Rio Negro River during the 2006 Amazon trip led by Andrew Henderson. Palm ID by Andrew.

post-279-0-99599300-1343707453_thumb.jpg

Don, did you say that the tucuma (Astrocaryum aculeatum) fruits were 5 USD/dozen? That sounds expensive!! But I wish I were there to buy some. And A. jauari fruits, do they sell them, too, at those markets??

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Boy Don those photos are great. Thanks for all the info. Those fruits are huge, do they steam them like Bactris? How do they taste?

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Mike,

The consumption of tucumã in Manaus is enormous. The price range for a dozen goes from about 2.50 USD to 5.00 USD depending on the availablity. That is in town price. People with a good source get them cheaper. I have people steal fruit from my trees all the time in the middle of the night. Since no one lives on the property it is pretty hard to stop.

Tim,

If you look at the picture of the tucumã vendor above you will see a plastic bag full of slices of fruit. You slice the fruit off the seed directly from an uncooked fruit. The normal way to eat the fruit slices is in sandwiches. The typical sandwich is with french bread, cheese and tucumã slices heated up on a grill. The fruit does not get cooked only heated up. The sandwich is done when the cheese melts. They can be eaten raw and are quite good. They can be used in cooked dishes as well. And, they make a great ice cream. The taste is hard to explain. It is sort of earthy, sometimes sweeter than others. It has a sort of nutty taste as well. Every tree has fruit with a different taste. The meat of the fruit is a relatively small layer around the large seed. One bunch of fruit from a tree is normally enough to fill a 25 kiio bag or more.

Here is a picture of a sandwich. X-cabococlo

x-caboclinho.jpg

This is another way the fruit is eaten as a filler for tapioca rolls. Tapicoca is popular all over north and northeast Brazil, but only in Manaus with tucumã filler. Tapicoa flour, made from manioc, is put in a pan and heated unitl it starts to melt and form a sort of gummy like tortilla. Then it is rollled and served.

tapioquinha.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Here is another option for the use of tucumã. They are used in a dish of fish filet, pirarucu the largest fish with scales in the region, rice, etc.

Delicias-Grill_ACRIMA20120601_0009_23.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Mike,

The A. jauari does not have a fruit consumed by people, at least not commercially. It is a very important source of food for fish though. Since the fruit drops when the water is high it is consumed by many fish. The tambaqui is one that eats a lot of jauari fruit.

Here are a few pictures of the trees the other side of the Negro river from Manaus. You can see how much water is around them. In the dry season they are on dry ground. There was a palm heart industry around these trees in the past. But, they are not used for this commecially today.

Jauari2.jpg

Jauari3.jpg

Jauari1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

More great photos and even tasty food ideas! Lucky for me my husband enjoys cooking... Thanks to all!

Cindy Adair

Wow Don those sandwiches look delicious, thanks for taking the time to show and explain how the fruit is used. So is tambaqui used as a source of food? Sounds like they would be nice and

fat eating what is probably very rich food.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

More great photos for my files. Thanks, Don.

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Tim,

The tambaqui is the main most popular fish sold on the market here. It is both produced in fish farms and from native stock in the river. The fish is a relative of the piranha and has a set of teeth like molars for crunching seeds and fruits. The fish has ribs with tasty meet on them. You fish for tambaqui using fruit as bait.

Mike,

My pleasure.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Just thought I'd throw in this photo of an indian necklace I picked up while in Ecuador. The string material is made from A. chambira which is also used for hammocks, fishing nets, bags, and

necklaces. The decoration is various colors and sizes of jungle seed. The dealer where I obtained the necklace was very reputable and knowledgable about where his goods were from and

what they were made of. I don't wear it everyday, just on special occasions. :mrlooney:

post-1300-0-39689900-1343758500_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim,

I bet it looks stunning on you. By the way do not eat the red and black seeds they are poisonous. I forget the name though.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Daryl, the most common Astrocaryum growing around here is A. standleyanum. This is not a palm that you see very often in collections, probably because of the spines and also because it can be difficult to grow outside of habitat. They are always found growing in deep shade near a water source and I've heard they do not tolerate much cold.

Here is one that is growing along a small stream just a few minutes walk from my house. It is currently loaded with fruit.

post-747-0-14423700-1343769187_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-87977100-1343769237_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-77186100-1343769199_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-26474900-1343769224_thumb.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

That is absolutely stunning Jeff. Oh man it's got some serious spines too.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Don, "fantastic pics' and information on amazing Astrocaryums, I love both that we have and look fwd to growing more.. Aiphanes also has little interest because of spines but gee theres plenty of beautiful Aiphanes but very little interest in collecters wanting seed just because of spines. Phoenix palms have far more ferocious spines.

Pete,

Yes spines are a problem. I have a lot to deal with. Fortunately I can burn them at my place with no problem.

Here is a picture of a A. jauari with fruit. I took the picture because of the hawks and just noticed the fruit.

Gaviaocacau.jpg

The japiim birds that used to hang nests in one of my tucumã trees are not around this year. The frond probably fell off. And they moved. Then spiny palm probably is liked by the birds as it is added protection to the already protective wasps.

Japiim2-1.jpg

Japiim7.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

A. aculeatum spines.

IMG_1032.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, great photos and info on these palms...you must be the resident Astro expert now!

Jeff, that A.standleyanum is a beauty!

Daryl

Daryl,

I don´t know if I can qualify as an expert yet. But, I have learned a bit. And, I sure have a lot of Astrocaryums. They came with the place. I have a lot of small ones coming up everywhere. I guess since I have a start I might as well collect a few other varieities of the family.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Great post and photos ! Other than a couple species, Astrocaryum is a genus you don't see.

A. mexicanum has been growing well here for years and even sets fruit. It seems to be reasonably cold tolerant. A. alatum proved to be tender, it was killed in the cold winter of 2009-10.

The one I want to try is Astrocaryum aculeatissimum. It is supposed to have some hardiness.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks Don! Nice pics and information. Is the sandwich called X-coboclo or X-cabococlo ???

In the atlantic forest of Paraná grows the A. aculeatissimum (latin for "very spiny", "espinhosíssimo in Portuguese) or locally known as "brejaúva". Not sure if it really is the most spiny Astrocaryum......)

I have a little palm planted in my garden. it saw -3ºC without problem

http://www.arvores.b...jauva/index.htm

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alberto - the sandwich is x-caboclo, i put in too many letters. It is also called X-caboquinho' as well.ã I just call it sanduiche de tucumã com quejo.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I saw Astrocaryum aculeatissima several times during the Rio biennial, first in a patch of Atlantic forest adjoining the Rio Botanical Garden and then also on Jill's ranch. They seemed to be pretty common in the dense forest, usually appearing as a group (clumping) of long spiny trunks going upward into the canopy, the upper part of the palms rarely visible. I'm afraid my impression was that few palm fanciers would be likely to plant this huge spiny monster with an inconspicuous crown in their gardens. I attach a picture that I took.

post-279-0-12803300-1343853287_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt