IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

xbutyagrus Mule palm

ErikSJI

Got it. Hopefully Eric can get some grown and make available. I'd like one.

Have one of his 3 gallon Mules I got late in the fall. Has resided in hobby greenhouse that I keep somewhat heated and it's not missing a beat in there. I worry more about it getting TOO hot inside since sun raises temps quickly on sunny days. Anxious to get one or two more.

Hybrids are tough, too.

They get HUGE fast, though. Maybe buy yourself a nice, big greenhouse. Or take donations for one . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have some ideas when things out grow me being able to keep them. I love King palms because they are cheap, easy and amazingly fast growers and don't mind being inside the house in the winter(Myola doesn't even slow down) BUT.....probably not hardy enough to be in garage in the winter even though it doesn't freeze in there.

Bought a Butia x Yaty from Patric as a 1 gallon and the shipping in cold weather and even the transplant hasn't slown it down.

I have some ideas when things out grow me being able to keep them. I love King palms because they are cheap, easy and amazingly fast growers and don't mind being inside the house in the winter(Myola doesn't even slow down) BUT.....probably not hardy enough to be in garage in the winter even though it doesn't freeze in there.

Bought a Butia x Yaty from Patric as a 1 gallon and the shipping in cold weather and even the transplant hasn't slown it down.

If it doesn't freeze, Archontophoenix are fine. Mine see a freeze or two every year with no damage.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Well that is good to know! I bought a A. Tuckeri off Ebay seller I was going to use as my Guinea pig king palm to keep in garage to see how it did since all the king species has similar cold hardiness. When the palm came..it was so nice...I didn't have the heart so keep it inside with the others.

I have not done it in awhile. I can again this year if you want as there has been a couple other people that have requested it. Our queens have gotten so large I am going to have to use a tree climber to get to them.

Eric, wouldn't you use the mule as the recipient of the queen pollen on a backcross?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I thought you were referring to the backcross. syagrus x butia. Yes you can back cross the mule as well. Very low seed set on those.

Ah...ok...I can see the confusion....I was talking about a (BxS)xS and you were talking about a SxB ..... I've heard that the SxB crosses have been disappointing from a cold hardiness standpoint. Do you have any pictures of a (BxS)xS .... do they take on the hardiness of the butia better than SxB?

I would think that since you have tons of large mules on the property that you would be doing this cross (BxS)xS more often? Understanding low seed set of course.

• 1 month later...

how much Erik?

do you ship to Ca?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Thinking about picking one of these up, did I miss the price, please let me know how much shipped to the gulf coast. Thanks Eric

Pick up a few...you won't be sorry....backbone of the yard up here on the Gulf Coast. :)

I had PM'd him and by the time I did they were all sold as a lot to one buyer, possibly Home Depot. I stopped at all the local HD here in my area hoping by chance they had them/one but didn't (sometimes even in my area they get some odd ball palms like Cocoanuts. I'm talking about the larger/taller ones in the 3 gallon pots.

Edited by sashaeffer

• 9 months later...

Next batch of 3 gallon Mule palms are ready. $80.00 shipped to your door. Container and medium. No overseas orders or Puerto Rico. Sorry.

DSC00480-01.jpg

DSC00479-01.jpg

• Upvote 4

$80 bucks for 3?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Sure Keith I can do that deal if you pay for the shipping. It normally costs me around 50 to 60 dollars each to ship these as we do not bare root them.

On January 10, 2016 at 5:06:10 PM, ErikSJI said:

Next batch of 3 gallon Mule palms are ready. $80.00 shipped to your door. Container and medium. No overseas orders or Puerto Rico. Sorry.

DSC00480-01.jpg

DSC00479-01.jpg

I'd really to purchase one of these, they look great!

On 1/10/2016, 3:06:10, ErikSJI said:

DSC00480-01.jpg

DSC00479-01.jpg

Shipping bare root or potted?

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

They are in a pot, and I can vouch that they nicely grown and packed and really nice with the speed of growth once in the ground....at least for me....mines getting big! Eric sells quality stuff IMO.

Thank you David. Yes they are shipped with pot and medium. The Medium is cleared for California. The Cali ones are however green house grown as we have to keep them 3 feet off the ground.

Living in California I can say that Eric's palms are top notch. I got one from him a couple years ago. It never skipped a beat. Great grower and great shipper. Keep up the good work Eric!!! 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I agree with Steve's comment above. I planted mine from Eric the day it showed up and it never had any problems. Eric was easy to work with and shipped the palm carefully and quickly. 

On 1/10/2016, 7:06:10, ErikSJI said:

DSC00480-01.jpg

DSC00479-01.jpg

:(

Edited by foxtail
Pain

Rio_Grande.gif

Here's my Mule Palm from Erik.  Went straight into the ground the day I received it in the mail from him a few years ago.

IMG_5413.thumb.JPG.dd5d3c78b824a3cdbf7aa

• Upvote 1

Nice Jungle path Jason

• 2 weeks later...
On January 21, 2016 at 6:53:08 PM, Fallbrook Jason said:

Here's my Mule Palm from Erik.  Went straight into the ground the day I received it in the mail from him a few years ago.

IMG_5413.thumb.JPG.dd5d3c78b824a3cdbf7aa

WOW!!! Your garden has blown up since I saw it last. Looks awesome. 

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 3 weeks later...

Really impressed by the quality of the Mule palm I bought from Eric. I just put it in the ground a few minutes ago.

image.png

• Upvote 2

I don't understand the whole reputation button .... I push up for Nitsua and it turns to red down arrow? 

17 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

I don't understand the whole reputation button .... I push up for Nitsua and it turns to red down arrow? 

It's that way.Verified the reputation number next to the red arrow.

• Upvote 1

Rio_Grande.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Next batch of 3 gallons are available. I have singles doubles and triples.  $85.00, $90.00, $95.00. Shipped with container and soils. No shipping to Texas anymore on these guys. Sorry. CA AZ is all good.

DSC01231.JPG

DSC01232.JPG

DSC01233.JPG

DSC01234.JPG

DSC01216.JPG

• Upvote 4

How are you able to ship to CA when these are being grown on ground cover in the ground?

We have a green house for Cali orders. They are grown 36 inches above ground. So numbers are limited for California orders

6 hours ago, ErikSJI said:

We have a green house for Cali orders. They are grown 36 inches above ground. So numbers are limited for California orders

Great idea, thanks for letting me know.  Tom

Fresh batch of Mule palm xbutyagrus F1 seed now available. Wholesale only $1.00 each minimum order of 100.

20150714_143318.jpg

20150722_135729.jpg

321355_472502716144591_1760613784_n.jpg