Sign in to follow this  
Logolight

First time success!  ... and with Co2 ???

Logolight

Some of my my Queen palms sprouted yesterday after only 35 days with the bag method.  I experimented with different soil mixes between bags.  Also, I don't know if anyone has tried this yet but before I sealed one of the bags I breathed into it to introduce Co2 to the seeds.  This bag was the first and most successful to germinate so I'm not sure if breathing into the bag actually had any influence.

MattyB

When I used to grow, uh....other things like the wacky tobacky :;): , I read about mixing up some concoction with sugar and juice maybe, I can't remember, but it was supposed to slowly ferment and continually release CO2 into the grow zone.  ...ahhhh I'm rambling.....gotta go ....I got the munchies. :P

Alan_Tampa

Limestone (CaCO3) and muriatic acid (HCl) will yield CO2 as they react.  A very dilute solution of HCl dripped into a limestone + water slurry will evolve just a touch of CO2 in a somewhat controlled way.

The extra moisture and mouth fauna are more likely to have produced any effect in the anecdote mentioned as the exchange of gases is fairly innefficient, also not sure any "extra" CO2 would matter during germination.

Alan

Bilbo

Im not sure if CO2 is used by commercial palm growers but its sure used by large (glasshouse) growers of tomatoes, peppers and suchlike crops.

I know cos Ive visited the guys.

It doent cost them a penny as they simply re-cycle CO2 from their boilers (the guys actually generate their own electricity) after scrubbing out the CO, SO2, and other impurities.

Smart, cheap and profitable as the crops really appreciate it.

I reckon thats a rare example of a win/win situation.

Regards

Bilbo

(really Jon, West Sussex, UK but I cant actually log on as myself yet!)

Neofolis

I would have thought breathing into the bag has the danger of introducing an array of unwanted flora, which may cause problems, especially with seeds that take a long time to germinate.