IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

cocagrus:

Mantis sp.

Coconuts come in all shapes, sizes and colors.

Wow, you really are a sceptic! Whatever the explanation, to me that's a very unusual plant and this is a fascinating post. I'm not sure the flowers alone will necessarily be conclusive for a hybrid though but let's hope they help.

I have lived in Miami and also in Key Largo. I have seen thousands of coconuts and not one was as pointed as the one you have shown.

Looks like a giant Syagrus seed.

But when you show us a close up of the flowers we can answer all questions.

Please gather all the seeds from it that you can just in case it is the real deal!

My fingers are crossed!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Wow, you really are a sceptic! Whatever the explanation, to me that's a very unusual plant and this is a fascinating post. I'm not sure the flowers alone will necessarily be conclusive for a hybrid though but let's hope they help.

There is a difference in being skeptical, and being a skeptic. I admit to being skeptical about a hybrid coconut being pictured in this thread. I do not, however have a questioning attitude towards knowledge, in general.

I have lived in Miami and also in Key Largo. I have seen thousands of coconuts and not one was as pointed as the one you have shown.

Looks like a giant Syagrus seed.

But when you show us a close up of the flowers we can answer all questions.

Please gather all the seeds from it that you can just in case it is the real deal!

My fingers are crossed!

I have seen all kinds of coconuts, living in South Florida, too. I remember encountering narrow, pointy ones from time to time and thought it nothing but a pathetic looking coconut(sorry if I just insulted any emaciated coconuts that may be reading this). I am not saying that a hybrid coconut wouldn't be cool or interesting... but so would finding a live Gigantopithecus!

• 2 years later...

A post I couldn´t forget!

Very strange and unsual looking "Cocos" and the palm and seeds look like hybrids to me....

Any update?

(PS - I was a little confused about the pics above because it looks like two different palms are showed... ?)

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

So the seedling was found on the coast near the "hybrid" so it may or may not have come from that tree?

I guess the CocAgrus seeds were sterile? – So what kind was the seedling whose seed didn’t look like a huge Syagrus seed?

Maybe that is the fruit not the seed. Possibly it looks much smaller because the container is a water cooler bottle but looks like a drink bottle. An optical illusion if you get what I mean!

I guess the CocAgrus seeds were sterile? – So what kind was the seedling whose seed didn’t look like a huge Syagrus seed?

Maybe that is the fruit not the seed. Possibly it looks much smaller because the container is a water cooler bottle but looks like a drink bottle. An optical illusion if you get what I mean!

Surely you are right, that's the fruit. But the shape is much rounder than the fruit of the huge Syagrus like seed.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Hello Dear Friends,

I won't say that I'm Sceptic about a possible Nucifera x Syagrus hybrid,

I'm Pritty much "Afraid" of it to be honest, But I can say that i've seen

Coconut seeds with sharp edges, That look similar to the ones that are

shown here... I'm not a proffessional but you will be the judge, I just found

a few pics of Coconut Seeds with different Shapes and Sizes:

Cocos_1.jpg

Cocos_2.jpg

Hello Dear Friends,

I won't say that I'm Sceptic about a possible Nucifera x Syagrus hybrid,

I'm Pritty much "Afraid" of it to be honest, But I can say that i've seen

Coconut seeds with sharp edges, That look similar to the ones that are

shown here... I'm not a proffessional but you will be the judge, I just found

a few pics of Coconut Seeds with different Shapes and Sizes:

These pictures are very informative, but shape and size of the fruits and seeds are only determinated by the mother tree (i.e. Cocos), only the embryo bears also genetic properties of the father tree. Only the fruit and seed of the hybrid (if it’s possible) can show different new shapes and sizes. So we can’t say anything about the father tree of the nuts on your photos.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Hello Pal Meir,

I Apologise but i wasn't clear with my last Messege,

The Pictures of Coconut Seeds that i posted, Aren't Suspected

as hybrids between Syagrus X Nucifera, I just wanted to show

An example that Cocos Nucifera Seeds had major differences

between them, And that can be the case with the Seeds that

Mentis Suspcated as Syagrus X Nucifera Hybrids...

Thanks for the Information,

Best Regards,

Lior.

For me it looks like a coconut, I have seen coconuts that looked more "different". And as Lior have said even the nuts can be so different. One of the things that draws many of us to coconuts is how varied they can be, all of them interesting and beautiful in their own way.

Interesting and informative photos and replies!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 3 weeks later...

Mantis, is the small seedling that you showed a few years ago still alive?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Mantis, is the small seedling that you showed a few years ago still alive?

Hy Alicehunter!

That tiny seed failed to germinate..i think it was sterile.

It's definitely something interesting! I am curious to see if those coconuts under it would sprout.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

reach the fruits its so hard. This Palm is quite tall. I saw different sizes of nuts in the same inflorescence, some of them could be sterile.This time , I did not find anything on the ground , the cleaning staff does its job very well. I'll talk to the staff and ask for a special permit to collect pollen and seeds.

post-5846-0-63042100-1434047359_thumb.jp

Looking at those fronds....it does look like a Syagrus cross.... :hmm: ......As Mark mentioned, need to get picture of inflorescence for all the experts on here. Hate to get my hopes up...but that is a weird cocos if nothing else.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

in fact..it is the palm. You can zoom in to close up the details guys. F2? ( CxSxC) dnt know, but nothing is impossible for nature.

Hi Mantis sp, thank you for adding this update.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

0D82BCDD-0E32-4928-B016-50945F5FFAFD.gif

hahahahah lets hope coco-foot is something that exists in real life.

• Upvote 2