IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

cocagrus:

Mantis sp.

Hy guys!

i have taken some pics of this old, big, interesting and amazing hybrid and just want to share with you. May be it's the first or the next , who knows!

cocos nucifera x syagrus romanzoffiana

#1 : close up

post-5846-0-07365200-1342824642_thumb.jp

#2 :note 2 types of cocos nucifera and the x cocagrus in the middle with narrow leaves.

post-5846-0-50097900-1342824611_thumb.jp

#3: note the arrangement of the leaflets in pairs, which is identical to the Syagrus romanzoffiana

post-5846-0-40292300-1342824686_thumb.jp

#4: another shoot, as you can see, coconut turned out to be very dominant on the Syagrus

post-5846-0-45016700-1342824712_thumb.jp

#5 note the nuts: There are two forms of nuts, large and small. this is indicative of a hybrid genetic shock which often causes deformations in the seeds. Some inherit the characteristics of the father and other mother.

post-5846-0-50766700-1342824788_thumb.jp

#6: leave

post-5846-0-21156600-1342826076_thumb.jp

#7 zoom

post-5846-0-09934500-1342826143_thumb.jp

#8: the bomb

post-5846-0-37486700-1342826257_thumb.jp

:hmm:
  • Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I need that! That is the bomb!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Where is this? How do you know it's a hybrid? What's the history on this tree?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

huh... the tree looks like a normal coconut but the leaves do look pretty plumose

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I am trying to see the Syagrus part, but it just isnt there to my eye...normal Cocos fruit development, pretty standard leaves, maybe different by a slight amount, normal trunk, and normal Cocos petiole crown architecture.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

After reading that Syagrus is very closely allied to Cocos, I tried very fresh coconut pollen on my Tableland queen

Unfortunately zero seed set!!! :indifferent:

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

If this is the real deal, it is a very important specimen. I know of not a single other adult Cocos hybrid, and the juvenile ones posted on here occasionally are dubious. More information please.

Never seen a Cocos 'hybrid' that wasn't dubious--It's like the Bigfoot of the palm world.

Thanks for posting Mantis. What about the leaf detail that Mantis photographed? Does that align with any pure coconut cultivar?

Steve

St. Augustine, FL

Thanks for posting Mantis. What about the leaf detail that Mantis photographed? Does that align with any pure coconut cultivar?

Steve

St. Augustine, FL

Good point Steve, I think this specimen requires a closer look. The leaf morphology looks like a combo between a Syagrus rom. and Cocos.

One thing you can see: It's not your typical Coconut palm...whether it is a hybrid or a mutation...either way it is very interesting!

Daryl

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

hello...Cailan??

...in this picture are many differences between them ...

post-1753-0-90278100-1343141874_thumb.jp

different color of leaves

leaves more arched

stipe straight, not curved

... to be a natural habitat, all the coconuts should be of the same cultivar... :rolleyes:

thanks for sharing

Like Alberto,< Merrill, Mark, and many others I tried a bunch of times but no luck --- I am hoping--- that one of us will prove its possibility

Best of luck to all my fellow hybridizers

Best wishes

Ed

• 2 months later...

What is the size of the "nut" (seed)?It looks pretty small in this pics......

I would expect it being steryl if it really is a Cocagrus......(?????)

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

What is the size of the "nut" (seed)?It looks pretty small in this pics......

I would expect it being steryl if it really is a Cocagrus......(?????)

Hola ALberto! The size of this nut is more or less 4in and some ctm. probably would be sterile , but who knows. Take care

Is it just me or is this the most confusing thread ever? :wacko:

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Urk!

sorry . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So whats the story with the seedling? Looks like you found a random germinated nut and planted it in some nearby beach rubbish? I'm confused too Matty

- Eric Arneson

lan-backyard-design-copy1.jpg

Is hard to convince me that the tree above is something other than Cocos but that seedling is definitely something. Did it come from the 'Cocagrus' tree above?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

the palms in the original pics look like they are more than a few yrs old,how do you know the history of these plants?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I am interested in this thread for sure. The palm in question really needs someone to take a closer look at the inflorescence. Looking at the fruit will not do it for me.

But i am hopefull because the palm in question does look different than the others. Mantis, next trip there you need to take a close picture of the inflorescence while it is in flower.

That seedling that you have looks good, keep it growing!! You might be onto something but it would take a trained eye to look at the flower, that is how you tell a hybrid.

Thanks for sharing!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

guys, sorry for everything that might seem confusing history. The palm tree I am seeing since I was a kid and still have not reached my thirties. seedling I have shown, was taken from the coast near the palm. Look closely at the palm fruits, nuts contain different shapes and sizes. I collect different sizes of this palm fruit and I'll show you later. Thanks for the reminder Mark, I will soon take a picture of the inflorescence.

post-5846-0-27206000-1350691209_thumb.jp

post-5846-0-03056900-1350691223_thumb.jp

post-5846-0-68076400-1350691232_thumb.jp

post-5846-0-85080900-1350691245_thumb.jp

post-5846-0-18463200-1350691259_thumb.jp

post-5846-0-74354600-1350691274_thumb.jp

post-5846-0-67079200-1350691309_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Now this is getting really interesting! Great post Mantis! Who wouldn't Iike to try one of those seeds!

Edited by richnorm

hola Cailan!

...wowww!...those seeds are amazing!!

those holes looks like similar to parajubaea seeds...

best regards amigo.

Edited by sergiskan

Mantis sp, thank you so much for sharing your pictures! Are you trying to germinate those seeds? If so, then please let us know what happens. Great work! Andrei

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Wow, this is getting very interesting for sure!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Yes, until you showed that last set of photo's of the "coconut" I was thinking maybe it was just a weird coconut palm....but the seed looks like a cross. Did you say the seedling you have, comes from this tree...or your not sure? The seedling seed looks much rounder...but is still quite small for a regular coconut. Does this tree produce a lot of these seeds? Are they available for distribution to the palm community?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Yes, until you showed that last set of photo's of the "coconut" I was thinking maybe it was just a weird coconut palm....but the seed looks like a cross. Did you say the seedling you have, comes from this tree...or your not sure? The seedling seed looks much rounder...but is still quite small for a regular coconut. Does this tree produce a lot of these seeds? Are they available for distribution to the palm community?

I was going to say the same thing! The seed looks just like i would suspect. But let's take a look at the flowers . You just might be onto something here.

Keep this thread going!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!