IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who's growing Thysanolaena Maxima (Tiger Grass) ?

Walter John

Hi folks, I have acquired a 200ml pot of this plant to fill a gap. I was curious if anyone else has it in their garden/property and what are your experiences of it so far in regard to it's vigor and needs etc. Has it over run areas for example, please let us know.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Wal ,

I have a few clumps of this growing it's a beautiful grass , I planted one clump a bit to close to the house it got too big for the area , so I dug it out , quite a chore , it has pretty strong roots, but can be successfully divided into multiple plants. I treat mine like a clumping bamboo , it's slightly more drought tolerant than bamboo however.

I agree, treat it like a clumping bamboo.

It grows great here. Grows 6-8ft tall and a very tight clumper at the base, top leans out. Grows in sun or shade here. In sun it needs water to look good during dry times but drought tolerant in shade. In fall it flowers with nice lacy, pinkish inflorescences. The dense growth makes it a good screen. One of the top ornamental grasses for here.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks Nick and Eric, I'll get a photo soon showing it's placement.

Is it a fast grower like bamboo do you think ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The flowering process seems to take a lot of energy from the plant. It tends to look very tired and ratty after flowering.

post-354-0-94798600-1342653423_thumb.jpg This watcha talkin' bout ?

taken @Bundy Bot Gdn a few years ago ...always wanted some .

seen other things called same name ?

• Upvote 2

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael, that looks like a small clump of Guinea Grass. Or is that variegation on the leaves and not just alternating sunlight and shade? Thysanolaena maxima is more like a small bamboo with broad leaflets and non branching culms.

I think this is what Wal is talking about:

post-6412-0-43751000-1342670029_thumb.jp

Thysanolaena maxima, photo taken 7 months after planting from about a 200mm pot size. They may end up up a little scrappy after 4 or 5 years.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I grow the stuff, had 2 clumps but removed one......bloody hard yakka digging it up........is great as a screening plant as seen in Ben's photo and grows quite quickly and continually throughout the year.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I think this is what Wal is talking about:

post-6412-0-43751000-1342670029_thumb.jp

Thysanolaena maxima, photo taken 7 months after planting from about a 200mm pot size. They may end up up a little scrappy after 4 or 5 years.

Those look great, where is that Ben ?

I like the way they clump quite tightly, that's what I'm after, although my clump is planted in a fair amount of shade so I expect some legginess.

Hi Michael, I like that grass as well but a bit too spready by the looks of her.

Thanks everyone, most helpful.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That photo was taken in a customers garden quite a few years ago now Wal,

A few more for you to show the speed of growth

Photo taken 18/10/2008

post-6412-0-59434000-1342777309_thumb.jp

Same garden 15/4/2009.... Pretty good for 6 months!!!

post-6412-0-80430700-1342777350_thumb.jp

And what yours will probably look like if grown in more shade....

post-6412-0-40417800-1342777282_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Remember this ? Well I now would like to move it, anybody done this ? Mine is in too much shade, not getting water and not growing too well, I have a few better spots in mind. So I'm looking for those who have experience in moving it, mine is only a small clump, does it transplant okay ? thanks.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I think it will be easy Wal , and should come back well fast now its warming .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Moves very easily Wal............ If it is only small just dig it up and move it but if the clump has a bit of size cut it down and then divide it up with a crow bar and you will get plenty of plants to put around the place.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Ditto what others said. It is hard work digging it but it transplants without stress. Divide it up and plant it green side up and you will have no problems. Like other ornamental grasses, you can cut it down to nubs once a year and all new growth rejuvenates it.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Thanks everyone, much obliged. Green side up ? okay, thanks Jerry.

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

attachicon.gifTiger-grass687.jpg This watcha talkin' bout ?

I grow this, but know it as Zebra grass. Which is why scientific names are so important.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Great grass/Bamboo stand-in that is super easy to divide.

Liked this species since I first saw it planted in a display bed at Selby Botanical in Sarasota Fl. Separated a stout 5gal specimen into 6 divisions last fall. No issues with the cold here ( South San Jose, CA.) last winter. Included another 5gal specimen into a landscape design in currently doing for a neighbor.

I planted 3 1 gallon pots a few years ago as a windbreak on the north side of mone of my orchid houses. It grew like crazy and is a good windbreak. It has not gotten out of hand. I trim it occassionally and pull out the dead stalks. It is certainly not invasive in the area it is in. I planted begonias around the base and they are doing well. It is a very tight clumper. Mine is about 8 feet tall, blooms, and does lean out. Cold hardy. It has never shown any cold damage here in central Palm Beach county. And it is on the north side.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

attachicon.gifTiger-grass687.jpg This watcha talkin' bout ?

I grow this, but know it as Zebra grass. Which is why scientific names are so important.

Keith

It prospers for you in zone 9a? Maybe I should give it a try in Jax ?

I am enjoying this thread much obliged to you all for sharing I didnt know much about growing it

Best regards

Ed

Ed, not sure if this helps but before deciding on trying this species here, I had read somewhere that Tiger grass has supposedly been grown as far north as South? Carolina as a returning perennial. -Nathan-

Much obliged this seals the deal for me--- sometimes with an invasive plant a winter that knocks it back is a good thing.

Best regards

Ed

• 2 years later...

would love to try growing this here in AZ. but I can't seem to find a source online that's within the US. All the websites I find are in Australia.

Anyone know of a nursery in the US that sells it?

18 minutes ago, raimeiken said:

would love to try growing this here in AZ. but I can't seem to find a source online that's within the US. All the websites I find are in Australia.

Anyone know of a nursery in the US that sells it?

Pretty sure it would do fine here in a shady spot. Had a couple but gave them both away before we left FL. My original plants came from a grower in Watsonville CA when i lived in San Jose. Had planted several in a landscape i did for a neighbor there and if i can't source smaller starts, may divide those plants next time i am in town.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I have one mature clump, but I'm about to plant 5 more 1-3 gal. sized plants (and maybe dig up and divide my mature clump). Just doing a bit of research (Google) before I start my tiger grass project and found this post on trusty ol' PT B) Bringing this thread back from the dead for more TG discussion. Post pics too! :greenthumb:

I discovered TG at my friend's uber lush and tropical garden. I searched all over the for plant and couldn't find any available. Finally my friend decides to move and digs me up a clump. Several years later he needed to trim his clumps back and gave me the trimmings! I'm in heaven! TG is a stunner :wub:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: