IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hyphaene petersiana

steve 9atx

All

Sorry for the redundancy: I posted this question on the old board and didn't print out the feedback.  Just received my seeds.  Any advice?

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

no experience with petersiana, but with coriacea I soaked them for 3 days and scrubbed the dried pulp remnants off, planted them in deep tree cones, (stuewe and sons "the deep one") and parked them at the edge of the shade house where they get a dose of intense heat, took a while but had good luck with them.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

I've germinated H petersiana and H thebaica.  I'm not expert at germinating seeds, but with Hyphaene I've had 100% success.  In bose cases I soaked them for ~2-3 weeks.  At some point after soaking, the outer husk gets a bit softened and I removed it (with a serrated "ginsu" type knife).  So it was probably ~1 week, reomoved the fruit/pulp, then soaked another 2 weeks or so changing the water every day.  I soaked them until the water was still basically clear after 24 hours of soaking (it turns brown initially).  

Then I put them in moist coco-peat in an incuabator at ~90F.  In all cases the seeds germinated within 1-2 weeks.

I recommend potting them into a ~12" tall, narrow container.  Then after the 2nd or 3rd leaf, move them to a deeper, fatter container.  This way you know there will be room for the roots to go down from where the radicle stops.  H petersiana seemed to go deeper than H thebaica for me.

Matt

• Upvote 1

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24