IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My two favorite Copernicias

Mandrew968

Very nice, Andrew! I'm glad it came back after the winter. Oddly enough, mine didn't have any problems over the past few winters, including two years ago when it got down to 28F at my house two nights in a row.

Jody

Yeah, but yours has great canopy, I water tons and the big factor was that I planted her in the dead of winter which was probably the reason it burned like it did. I was gambling on our winter staying mild and then right when I put her in the ground, we got our lowest temp of last winter! I am sure she'll go through our next winters with no problems. Thanks for the compliment--you saw her right after the full burn had set in. She is pretty fast--I wouldn't doubt it if it's the fastest Copernicia that's not from South America.

Heres mine. I noticed that the petioles have been getting really long lately even if the leaf size is just about the same.

Can't wait for this to get like Rusty's plant.

I notice that Rusty's (like the ones I saw in Fairchild's) are more silver than blue.

post-1017-0-42703500-1342592512_thumb.jp

Gene, your garden has to be high on the list of places where palms grow the fastest. I would guess Copernicia is not the most common of palms, on your side of the world?

Gigas has been a surprisingly fast grower for me. It really helps when they're relatively nice sized......they take off when freed from their pots.

Will try to take some pictures tomorrow.......

Manny

Heres mine. I noticed that the petioles have been getting really long lately even if the leaf size is just about the same.

Can't wait for this to get like Rusty's plant.

I notice that Rusty's (like the ones I saw in Fairchild's) are more silver than blue.

post-1017-0-42703500-1342592512_thumb.jp

Gene, your garden has to be high on the list of places where palms grow the fastest. I would guess Copernicia is not the most common of palms, on your side of the world?

I guess so. I get good performance out of my Licuala elegans, Tahina spectabilis and Copernicia fallaensis-- at least that's what people tell me. I guess the conditions here match up perfectly with the genetic requirements of these species. Other palms seem to do just as well as anywhere else.

For a tropical country we don't really have a wide variety of palms. You only see the usual suspects that are prevailent in the nursery trade - so that's Adinidiaa, Rosyoneas, Wodyetias, Phoenix and the like...

Copernicias and the more specialized stuff that we discusson these boards are pretty rare. Not many people appreciate palms and can't even tell/apprreciate the difference. To most a Bismarkia and Copernicia fallaensis are the same plant.

Since urbanization is pretty rampant over here-- most people live in condominiums and very few people actually have a garden so there is really very little chance of seeing these beautiful species.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Speaking of favorite Copernicias this is a pretty special one.

Its a Copernicia alba but it's variegated!

post-1017-0-24543300-1342774378_thumb.jp

Kind of hard to see because of the waxy silver coating - get s obsucred a bit.

post-1017-0-61385600-1342774521_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-63278700-1342774527_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-71641000-1342774531_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-05203600-1342774536_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-52829900-1342774540_thumb.jp

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Copernicia macroglossa is also a beautiful palm but soooooooooo slow too.

This one was a palm with 2 leaves 2 feet in diameter when I planted it in the ground. I planted it before the C. Fallaensis.

post-1017-0-71534800-1342774613_thumb.jp

And the C. Fallaensis started from a seed! See the difference in growth rates!post-1017-0-74442200-1342774618_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-74442200-1342774618_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Ok. I want to upload a picture and I can't figure out how to do it with the upgraded palm talk. A little help please ?

:violin:

Manny, go to the bottom of this page and click the "More Reply Options" button to the right of the black "Post" button. That will take you to a place where there will be "Attach Files" and a paper clip symbol below the input window. Click "Choose Files..." and select your photo, then click "Open". Once your photo finishes uploading, click "Add to Post" and the BB code for that photo will be automatically inserted into your input window.

Jody

Boy, some nice stuff. Jody the last pic in post #27 doesn't even look real. Wow!

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On the opposite side of teh spectrum here are some of the slowest of the Genera-- Copernicia cowelii

THese two were my largest and were roughly the same size.

THis one is still in its pot

post-1017-0-76945900-1342850330_thumb.jp

This one I planted in teh ground about a year ago but suffered a setback. It's rootball collapsed and many of teh feeder roots were damaged-- torn off actually. It did nothing for about half a year and the new leaves are starting out smaller. Seems to be ok now though.

post-1017-0-97772600-1342850308_thumb.jp

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Thanks Jody. Here are my Gigas:

post-1905-0-69305400-1342836583_thumb.jp

That looks pretty badass!

This is an "awesome thread" with heaps of "very very choice Copernicias. Gene, your post 47 is "Very beautifully landscaped". Everyones pics "inspire me" to plant more Copernicias.

Here's a C. cowelii that I started from seed and planted in the ground

post-1017-0-05237900-1342850591_thumb.jp

It's brothers and sisters are doing better

post-1017-0-48709100-1342850617_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-38585000-1342850632_thumb.jp

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Nice C. macroglossa, Gene. Here is a pretty nice one that we have at our nursery:

post-1566-0-87178700-1342816104_thumb.jp

Jody

This is pretty impressive! i wonder how long I have yo wait

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Manny knows the only thing better than a gigas is 3!

Its actually 4 but I could not fit the one all the way on the left........It was earlier in the morning and the light was not the greatest........

Thanks.

Andrew,

Beautiful palms. I have a few C. berteroana, and baileyana. They are very slow growing for me. I'm gonna put them in the ground soon and hope they will stand up against the rest the growth in my garden.

If they were the size of yours, I would feel a little more confident they will make it.

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

THanks rusty. How old is your C. fallaensis? I notice that the base is really big already and the leaves are much fuller and rounder than the others shown on this post.

How tall is the palm and whats the diameter of the leaves?

Hi Gene...sorry for such a late reply.....

No idea as to it's age...i seem to remember that it was 10 yrs old when i bought it for some reason....i bought it as a fairly large plant in somewhere at a 30 or 36 inch diameter pot...it was big enough that i had to grunt getting it into the hole......

the one you have pictured in post 47 looks close to the size, maybe a tad bigger than mine when i put it to earth........

Currently it is 9.5' OA, leaf diam.@5', and the base roughly 22 inches

It, along with a lot of other stuff, never goes without water or fertilizer ( i have micro irrigation and a fert proportioner), which i believe makes a huge difference since i have a long dry season.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Rusty I am impressed that you bought such a rare palm at 10 years of age!

Look like I am in for a long wait.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene, since Rusty lives twice the distance from the equator than you in Manila I dont think your wait will be very long to see your C Macroglossa really growing at a fast rate....your growth rate for your Tahinas has outstripped anyone around the world.(yours is the largest in cultivation). :) Gene, how old is your C Fallaensis which youve grown from seed?

Gene, since Rusty lives twice the distance from the equator than you in Manila I dont think your wait will be very long to see your C Macroglossa really growing at a fast rate....your growth rate for your Tahinas has outstripped anyone around the world.(yours is the largest in cultivation). :) Gene, how old is your C Fallaensis which youve grown from seed?

Hmmm good question. I have to dig up my notes on when I obtained those Fallaensis seeds. But I started with Palms less than 7 years ago so that's it's maximum possible age.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Ok so based on my records they were sprouted/potted up in January 2008 which makes this baby 3 years and 7 months old.

Wow that is fast!

post-1017-0-22832800-1343064267_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-08668200-1343064296_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-85811000-1343064321_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Ok so based on my records they were sprouted/potted up in January 2008 which makes this baby 3 years and 7 months old.

Wow that is fast!

Wow Gene, from these sprouts to the now pic in post 47,( nearly 4 yr old) you have "Fantastic Growth Speed"..."Lucky You", wish I had year round warm climate. That garden section in post 47 is "sensational"..Gene, can you pls post a pic of some one or something beside your C Fallaensis to help gauge even better? Thanks. Pete

Wow that is fast!

Wow Gene, from these sprouts to the now pic in post 47,( nearly 4 yr old) you have "Fantastic Growth Speed"..."Lucky You", wish I had year round warm climate. That garden section in post 47 is "sensational"..Gene, can you pls post a pic of some one or something beside your C Fallaensis to help gauge even better? Thanks. Pete

Ok I'll do that soon, but off hand by my estimate It's probably 7 feet tall. I didn't quite believe it when I figured it was only 3.5 years old. I thought there might have been a mistake somewhere but I triple checked.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Wow that is fast!

Ok I'll do that soon, but off hand by my estimate It's probably 7 feet tall. I didn't quite believe it when I figured it was only 3.5 years old. I thought there might have been a mistake somewhere but I triple checked.

7 feet in 3.5 yrs WOW.... Very understadable though since Nong Nooch grows the "fastest copernicias in the world" and you are a fraction closer to the equator,( no wonder you have the largest cultivated Tahina.. :) look fwd to seeing the pic with you beside Gene. :) Pete

Here it is with a chair and a shovel.

I measured it and it is 89 inches tall in that's 7 feet and 5 inches.

post-1017-0-20022800-1343182217_thumb.jp

sorry I couldn't get into the picture -- I am camera shy and my talent fee is quite high.

• Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Here it is with a chair and a shovel.

I measured it and it is 89 inches tall in that's 7 feet and 5 inches.

post-1017-0-20022800-1343182217_thumb.jp

sorry I couldn't get into the picture -- I am camera shy and my talent fee is quite high.

Gene, that is "Mindblowing Growth", 3.5 years ago it just sprouted, NOW look at the size. :drool: .... I must admit, anytime after spending time close to the equator and see the speed palms and gardens grow , I return home very envious of the amazing year round weather and fantastic growing conditions.. . Pete :)

Dean, can you please put the pics of Genes germinating seeds Jan 2008 to his Now 7.5 foot Fallaensis July 2012. ( 4 yrs 6 mths) in the gallery section. Genes growth really shows "why and how'' palms close to the equator with high rainfall grow at an "Amazing Speed", Gene has the Largest Tahina in cultivation and his Licualas grow at "lightenening speed as well" ....The Copernicias at Nong Nooch that "Everyone on the bienniel will see", are the Fastest Growing Copernicias in the World .. Oh, I wish my property was much closer to the equator.. :)

Does anyone have pictures of the slowest Copernicias in the world: Copernicia cowelii?

I'd love to see pictures of this palm and get an idea of how they are growing in other parts of the world.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Dean, can you please put the pics of Genes germinating seeds Jan 2008 to his Now 7.5 foot Fallaensis July 2012. ( 4 yrs 6 mths) in the gallery section. Genes growth really shows "why and how'' palms close to the equator with high rainfall grow at an "Amazing Speed", Gene has the Largest Tahina in cultivation and his Licualas grow at "lightenening speed as well" ....The Copernicias at Nong Nooch that "Everyone on the bienniel will see", are the Fastest Growing Copernicias in the World .. Oh, I wish my property was much closer to the equator.. :)

Pete,

I can't do it any faster or easier than anyone else can. But I agree, it would be nice to have more people using the Gallery for those special photos in order to have them in an easier area to access and keep track of.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

• 3 months later...