IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

phoenix robellini fertilization

gsn

I have question about fertilizing a quad robellini!

I planted this field grown tree in January of this year,it is doing great,growing and sending out new fronds,even after getting slightly burnt in the one freeze ,heavy frost we had this year on 2/14.

The first question is, when I fertilize this tree should I fertilize for a 1 trunk plant or treat it like it is 4 trees quanity wise?

The second question is, I planted it slightly above grade maybe 2 inches. I mulched around it with about 2 inches of cypress mulch.

I noticed the other day when checking for mositure,before watering,that the the surface feeder roots  (small roots) were all through the mulch and not below ground. the bigger roots coming off the trucks are going into the soil. Should I  remove the mulch and cover with a thin layer of soil before I fertilze,or just fertilize on top of the mulch?

thanks in advance for your responses

Scott

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Hard to do much to offend a robellini. If it's growing fine leave it alone. Many Phoenix species seem to get surface roots, it's not a problem. I'm sure you can give a triple some extra fert, just make sure you spread it around, don't just make a narrow  ring of fert around the trunks.

These are very forgiving palms.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I was wondering the same thing - I have a triple that I put in the ground in May.. The only fertilizing I did was when I planted it - I put all kinds of S@#t in the hole with this palm - Manure, peat, gypsum, compost and that was it - nothing else... well , this thing has grown leaps and bounds since then, staying beautiful and green.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

redant,

Thanks for the reply,and information.

I know this is a common palm,but I was just curious ,since it isn't a clustering palm ,but 4 individual palms planted together,if I should fertilize it as 1 palm or 4.

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Mine grow wonderfuly, I fertilize them somewhat between what id do if it was 4 palms vs 1.   I generally fertilize them every 1-3 months.  also, They get plenty of water and full sun

this tree is 3 years old, planted from 3 gal

DSC02742.jpg

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"