IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating palm seeds

Kamipalms

Thought I'd start a new thread for every one else to chip in;

(Matt in SD @ Aug. 08 2006,00:55)

Jason,

Where do you get those containers (the ones with the vent on top)?  I saw them in your article on germination in the PSSC Journal and they look perfect.  You definitely have germination down, and your article in the journal was very helpful.

Matt

Matt,

These posts come in a kit called the "Aquamiser"

HERE  is a link to the site.

The kits cost around the AU$35 - $40.00 mark depending on where you find them.

Heres another option,

germinatingpots.jpg

I asume the plastic 2L Coke bottles are the same in the US as they are here . I've just cut the bottom of the pot out to sit directly on the medium and its the perfect size to fit inside the pot and seal snug.

I remove the lids to harden off , just as described in the PJ article when using the "butterfly" covers.

Hope this is some help.

For everyone else, please add your germinating or early stage growing techniques, lets see what we can turn this thread into....

Jason.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Interesting reading Jason.  I assume from the design of the kit that, if you want to make use of the automatic watering facility, you would lose the option of applying bottom heat, through a mat or whatever.  Do you use the full kit or just the pots from it?

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Hi Corey,

To be totally honest, the kit is a great design and do work well but the automatic float valve is rubbish and the pots sitting in the tray end up over wet. Other that that, I do away with the auto valve and fill manually as required.

I've used the whole kit on heat and off heat, either way is just as good.

I wouldn't recomend usting the "wet" kit for germinating  rather the pots along with the covers and bottom caps which you can just make out in the photo above (The pot 'n bottle in the foreground is wearing the bottom cap ) and everything is sitting on heated riversand ( the whte stuff) is good enough for germinating.

Jason.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Thanks Jason,

That looks like a good setup.  Not sure if I can get it in the States though.  I'm germinating some Dypsis right now and am being much more "sterile" based on your article.  I'm also going to try to be a bit more patient than in the past and not mess with them as much.  It's so hard to just set it all up and wait, I like to see the little root when it first pops out!

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I like the 2 litre bottles idea.....note to self, must drink more soda.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

MattyB,

You'll be thrilled to know that there IS a healthier way.....water!!

When I have a small number of seeds, OR seeds that will produce seedlings with big, strong roots I use these Crystal Geyser 1 gallon plastic containers. I just cut off the top, put the medium in there plus the seeds and add water, enough to make the medium moist but not soggy, and then I seal it with Saran wrap (or something similar) to hold the moisture inside. After a couple of months things begin to happen. And if you forget to remove the Saran wrap, no big deal, the seedlings will go right thru! (Assuming they're not real wimps...)

These are Actinorhytis calapparia - very vigorous growers.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1155171996_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Another good idea...thanks Bo.  I just reread your article Jay, good stuff.  I think I'll try microwaving my peat.  Or adding boiling water.....something to help sterilize.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Geeezze, now you guys have me re-reading the article again....

Only thing that has changed from the article is the inital germination process.

Where I described the use of any clear container for germinating and using these directly on the heat pad , without lids and covered with a large polycarbonate cover ( article reads "see fig.1" but it should have read see fig.2)

I've now changer to large containers with sealable lids - the large containers with the yellowish lids in the top pic.

I've found that the larger containers produce more condensation eliminating the need to "re wet" the medium as it dries out from bottom heat.

Other than that, everything else is exactly the same from temps to medium depth and so on.

At the end of the day , all you need is a heat sorce( except fo Bo, Hawaii's hot and humid enough  ??? ) , some type of container  to lock in moisture and ( the hard part) the patience to let them do their own thing.

J.

Oops, forgot to mention this process is the same for any palm seed, not just Chammies.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Where is the article you all keep going on about ?  ???

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Anybody try smoke-based germination primer? There are a couple of products available - you can read about one at Seedman - which use smoke agents to trigger germination. I'm leery of blowing my dough on hogwash, but there is plenty of science which indicates fire and/or smoke contain substances that cue

germination nearly universally. Matt's laser thread inspired me to bring up the subject - I'm ready to try  anything...

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Dear Kamipalms  :)

that method is totally new to me & the equipment shown

is very interesting.and thanks for the link.

Dear Bo Goran the method you have illustrated in generally

what we do in india.we use cut mineral water bottles.

it is very economical too.

thanks Kamipalms for inisating a nice & useful discussion for

palm enthusiests.

Love,

Kris.(India)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hey Kris,

The only thing I've found as far as germinating palm seeds is concirned is that everyone has their own little idea on the best way to germinate palm seeds and they keep it very qiuet.

Basically, palm seeds need heat and moisture to germinate. The way you suply this is up to you and for me , any thing to do it for me is the easiest way.

Jason.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

I was reading in "Palms of the World" by Jones and it says that the heat provided is a cumilative effect.  Meaning that as long as it heats up during the day, night cooling is ok and will not inhibit germination.  He does state that bottom heat will be faster though.  Anyone found these statements to be true?  I've got so many seeds now that there's no room in my small germination heat box and I want to move the plastic containers into the greenhouse where it heats up during the day and cools at night.  Any thoughts?  I'm really more concerned about what will happen in the winter.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Aug. 18 2006,14:19)

I've got so many seeds now that there's no room in my small germination heat box and I want to move the plastic containers into the greenhouse where it heats up during the day and cools at night.

Ah Matt, I see the disease is progressing quite nicely.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Matt,

I've played around a bit with constant heat vs. hot days/cool nights (i.e. in the greenhouse, or hooking my incubator to a timer that shuts it off at night).  For all of the tropical palms I've germinated, I had better luck with constant heat.  At least they germinated much faster.  But I got nearly 100% germination from a batch of Rhopalostylus seeds in my greenhouse, whereas I've never germinated more than 10% or so in the incubator.

And when you hear people saying never to give up on seeds....listen!  I have a habit of dumping stuff on the ground in my greenhouse.  Dead plants, trimmed leaves, and seeds that I'm giving up on.  I was cleaning out my greenhouse last weekend and found some palm seedlings in a pile of vermiculite that had rooted into the ground.  I have no idea what they are, but I haven't used vermiculite to germinate anything for more than a year and a half, so I know they were very old, and they had clearly sprouted within the last couple months as they were just spikes.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Good point about the Rhopalostylis.  I just got some Geonoma undata seed and I'm debating wheather or not to use heat or just put in the greenhouse.  I've pretty much decided on splitting the lot between the two methods.  Any suggestions?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Aug. 19 2006,13:47)

I just got some Geonoma undata seed and I'm debating wheather or not to use heat or just put in the greenhouse.  I've pretty much decided on splitting the lot between the two methods.  Any suggestions?

C'mon Matty, stop stuffin' around and cook the damn things...36_6_4.gif

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Now see them in action,placed in my terrace top.

during mild warm season.

Full Exposure method,and alternate day watering.

germination rate very slow.but seeds do not rought.

since the seeds are imported,i can not take much

chance here ?

post-108-1156318292_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif