IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Small Lots of Seed Program

Trópico

Small Lots of seeds

Has anyone filled in one of these? My question is if I still don't know what species of seed I am going to encounter/collect, if "eligible taxa" will apply.

After doing a search of the keyword "Arecaceae" in the PDF detailing the restricted species, this is basically the list of prohibited seeds that can't be imported to the US:

1. Calyptronoma rivalis.

2. Dypsis (Chrysalidocarpus) decipiens, Dypsis decaryi. Please turn in yours Home Depot.

3. Cocos nucifera. Althought other Cocos species are permitted (I'd like to know which ones).

4. Lemurophoenix halleuxii.

5. Marojejya darianii.

6. Pritchardia affinis, and a long list of other Pritchardia species (aylmer-robinsonii, kaalae, munroi, napaliensis, remota, schattaueri, viscosa).

Interesting.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I finally applied. Hopefully if approved, I'll be bringing back lots of gifts (seeds!) for myself and for some of you, quantity permitting, from Colombia.

Does anyone have pics of the above prohibited palms (4, 5, and 6) so I can id (and not bother harvesting from)...?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

I'd be VERY surprised if there are any mature Lemurophoenix, Marojejya, or Hawaiian Pritchardias in Columbia...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I would like to know how many inspectors could identify Pritchardia or Marojejya seeds among a few bags of other "approved" species.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

First of all this topic should be in the general (discussing Palms forum) as this forum is far less frequented.  This is a particularly interesting topic and potentially usefull for people vacationing who may just want to bring a souvenir home...

Second, I wonder why these (or any) items are on the list.  Like Cocos Nuc. yet other Cocos are not, or Pritchardia.  Is it because they are endangered in their respective areas (I know Cocos and Prichardias are not) and don't want seed hunters driving them over the edge to extinction in habitat, or because they are considered invasive - weeds - if you will (cocos are certainly in this category, but I think all in the genera would be)?

Finally, I do wonder at whether or not any one or several inspectors could tell the difference between many seed species (well obviously between say Coconut and Jubaea, but what about other very similar seeds)?

Things that make ya go HMMMMMM?

Eric

Visalia, CA

Zone 9B

Hot Summers - Annual average 40+ days of 100+ degrees (no rain from April/May to October/November)

Freezes too - winter lows in high 20s

Oh yeah and Bad Air (inbetween cities with #1 and #2 ranked bad air in the nation - Fresno and Bakersfield)

WE NEED MORE TREES

In the forms I have from the USDA with my permit it states Restricted article (excluding seeds). The Cocos nucifera although is covered under "Nut and Fruit Article Provisions" and subject to seizure. The permit when issued even thou I stated species it covered all Palmae

From the Sandhills of NC

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

.......Still Waiting......  :(

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

I got it!!! As I was posting that last message the envelope was dying of laughter in my mailbox!

Hope to score some good species down in Cartagena, Colombia.

Zac, will you be available to gabbly about it to make sure we understand the document and how to make the best use of it? Thanks

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Inspectors may not know their seeds but down the road if you have an endangered palm and try to sell it an inspector may ask for proof of legal source. As they say you can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. Returning from Trinidad, in 1999,  I was surprized that USDA inspectors do know seeds from endangered species but not common species. Best be safe rather than sorry!

San Antonio, Texas

P.S. I think as a vacationer you can bring a few seeds in without a permit. But remember to declare it at the border else it is not the seeds that will get you into trouble but the failure to declare!!!  Also some countries probit export of seeds without a permit. If you enter the US with them even if you have a US permit it's a Lacey Act violation. That is breaking a foreign law is against the law in the US! Do your homework!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Are my seeds still viable after going thru my digestive tract?

Just kidding -

Guess what? I did NOT use my permit. I brought back some species (just a few, the palms appeared not to be in season). There's a form that everyone fills while on the airplane when coming back to the states. There are a few checkboxes where most people just answer "No". I answered YES in two: 1. Carrying plants, food, etc. and 2. Carrying soil or if I have been in a farm or a place where soil can get in my clothes or shoes. The Border patrol looked at the form and sent me to a line marked by yellow dots. There were two other lines (green and red). I suppose red means thorough inspection. My bags were XRAYd a few more times but NO further inspection. Not even USDA. So my conclusion is that you better be prepared but looks like an inspection is made at random. In Colombia they also made a random inspection but I did not get selected.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes