IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm's in Oklahoma City area (nothing special)

Palmy

On 8/3/2021 at 4:18 PM, ArkiePalms95 said:

Hello, ArkiePalms95 here. Just wanted to give an update of the Tulsa, OK and NWA area. I emailed Tropical Plant Design in Tulsa and they lost all theirs this winter, along with everyone else in Tulsa that we know of. There was no way to insulate the ground enough to keep it from freezing and we had severely cold temps for 2 weeks straight. Here in Rogers, AR it got down to -16, a record for the nearly 24 years I've lived in the area. My Trachycarpus froze completely back. I treated it with fungicide but had the rotting smell - I was sick! It's been in the ground for two years to this point. About 2 weeks after this had happened, I was reading in my book, 'Palms Don't Grow Here (and other myths)' that in the case like mine, sometimes the tree can be saved by cutting the trunk horizontally back until you start seeing greenish/white and applying a fungicide and even some hydrogen peroxide to stop the rot. It was 10pm when I was reading this and got a flashlight and went outside and started cutting the trunk until I got below the rot (If I would've done this quicker I wouldn't have had as much rot). When I poured the hydrogen peroxide on the trunk it fizzed and bubbled. I then started spraying it with copper fungicide once a week or two. TO MY ASTONISHMENT!! It started pushing new growth! As of now, August 3, 2021 its pushing out its 3rd fan. I will be protecting it well this winter and hope we NEVER have another winter like this last one! I have since planted a Washingtonia robusta and will be experimenting with it. I figure if TPD in Tulsa had them successfully for almost 15 years its worth it.  I will be posting a photo tomorrow - thought I had one on my phone. 

awesome, glad to know yours made it through! I am in okc metro and all of our sabal, windmills and small trachys made it as well! i forget how long it has been for that weather here but it was many man many years and I hope to never see it again lol. I also bought a large robusta aand large sabal this summer that i have planted!

psab.jpeg

pwr.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Youtube - Okpalms 

• 2 months later...

ArkiePalms95 here again, wanted to give an update. 

Sadly, I lost my windmill palm about two weeks ago - didn't give it much thought that the sprinkler system was hitting it every morning and since I had to trunk-cut it after the damage after last winter it rotted -- Now I'm going to try to find another one next spring and plant it, or if my washingtonia robusta comes through the winter (I'll be wrapping it like TPD in Tulsa does) I may switch it out since I actually prefer the washy look better anyways.

I have uploaded photos of my washy, both shortly after I received it (Photo #1) (with 5 small fronds if I remember correctly) and a picture of it today (photo #2) with it pushing its 13th frond! - I think pretty amazing for its first year!!) I'm going to wrap it and enclose it in a leaf cage to make sure it gets through this winter but I know of ones not too far from me that survived this past winter so I don't think it'll have any issues unless we have another snowmageddon, which I really hope NEVER happens again! 

I also planted a sabal minor this year (photo #3), and I should only have to provide little if any protection - I'll monitor temps and go from there. I've attached photos and will keep this thread updated as the seasons progress! Cheers to all and best wishes for this winter!

IMG_4115.PNG

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4113.PNG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/19/2021 at 5:25 PM, WattsZ said:

awesome, glad to know yours made it through! I am in okc metro and all of our sabal, windmills and small trachys made it as well! i forget how long it has been for that weather here but it was many man many years and I hope to never see it again lol. I also bought a large robusta aand large sabal this summer that i have planted!

psab.jpeg

pwr.jpeg

Where on earth did you get that gorgeous sabal??!!!!???!!!???? I WANT ONE! :) 

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2021 at 4:23 PM, ArkiePalms95 said:

Where on earth did you get that gorgeous sabal??!!!!???!!!???? I WANT ONE! :) 

hey sorry for the delay, I drove down to Waxahachie, Tx for it. I think next Spring I am picking up one more for the back yard. I wasn't prepared this time on how to get it back there so it ended up in the front. But we like having it out from and people love it haha

• Upvote 1

Youtube - Okpalms 

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2021 at 2:18 AM, ArkiePalms95 said:

I emailed Tropical Plant Design in Tulsa and they lost all theirs this winter, along with everyone else in Tulsa that we know of.

Not all, there is seemingly one survivor!

Nov 2021

tulsa1.thumb.jpg.720901a2221f8ce55bb470464c8c6b83.jpg

tulsa2.thumb.jpg.e6e01e73e46ec4f504d8dfa6a3ee7e17.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, someone in a previous post mentioned they had one left. I haven’t had to wrap mine yet this year! I’m loving it!