IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Slow Palms

ruskinPalms

Another group of the same except switch Royestonea sp. instead of W. bifurcata:

post-228-1157051533_thumb.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Wow everything looks MUCH happier. Your wife must agree that the mulched palms look far better then with grass growing right up to them, plus you added some nice color in the beds.

Whats that thing closest to the lake, kind of purple looking leafy thing. I hope you don't say rubber tree  ???

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Anyway, not really incredible growth like what Larry in Tarpon Springs gets  :)  but at least the royal palm is opening its second frond since I planted it in the spring and it's base has easily doubled in size. The single Archontophoenix that I have by the window on the north side of the house is really starting to take off. One of my cocos actually has done quite well. The V. arecina all have done well. The little bottle palm was planted pretty late in the season and it is starting to take off now. I think the big winners in my yard so far are the Banana plant and a ridiculous clump of papaya that I planted in early summer - they are taking over the world in my back yard...

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Redant, it's a good old Ficus elastica  :D . I know it will someday become a royal pain in the butt, but I really like how they look when they get some size to them. I have seen some nice F. elastica here in the immediate area up to around 40'-50' in height so I figured it was a good bet for my climate.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Somebody likes Veitchias!

That makes two of us....I think I now have something like 16-17 of them in the ground :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(ruskinPalms @ Aug. 31 2006,15:27)

Anyway, not really incredible growth like what Larry in Tarpon Springs gets  :)

You dont want to see my water usage!

Larry 

(ruskinPalms @ Aug. 31 2006,15:29)

Redant, it's a good old Ficus elastica  :D . I know it will someday become a royal pain in the butt, but I really like how they look when they get some size to them. I have seen some nice F. elastica here in the immediate area up to around 40'-50' in height so I figured it was a good bet for my climate.

I also like those elasticas and have a couple of them that I am training into more tree-like vertical forms (rather than their more natural gigantic shrub-like forms) since I simply dont have the space.

Another good one is Ficus altissima.  I have a very small one thats just getting started.  These are reported to be the fastest growers (and the best looking to my eyes).

If you have 40-50' ft tall Ficus elastica in your area, then your climate is excellent.  I have never seen any that tall in my area.

Larry 

looks great, Bill..... Much better with the mulch around the palms...... Really makes it look classy. (and better for the palms too.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(spockvr6 @ Aug. 31 2006,15:37)

Another good one is Ficus altissima.  I have a very small one thats just getting started.  These are reported to be the fastest growers (and the best looking to my eyes).

Um, you guys are crazy. I have a small native strangler but I have a very large yard.

Lofty Fig (Banyan Tree) - Ficus altissima    

Family: Moraceae (Mulberry Family)

Native range: Southeast Asia.

Description: A large, spreading tree to 80 feet or more, often with aerial roots, and a crown more than 100 feet wide. Leaves are glabrous, elliptic to ovate, to 10 inches long and 6 inches wide. The basal veins on the leaf of this species form a single "V."

The 1/2- to 3/4-inch diameter figs begin yellow but ripen red. Often mistaken for the banyan fig, Ficus benghalensis, which has pubescent leaves and basal veins on the leaf that form a double "V."

Ecological threat: Lofty fig has only recently been documented to escape cultivation in Florida and it is believed that the specific fig wasp that pollinates this species in its native range has been inadvertently imported into Florida. Like other figs, lofty fig often begins life as an epiphyte, growing on other trees (especially palms) until it sends its own roots into the ground, often encircling its host, and eventually displacing the host tree. It has also been found growing as a lithophyte on rock walls, stone or concrete buildings, and in cracks on bridges and turnpike overpasses.

This species grows to immense proportions and has the ability to compete heavily with native trees in hardwood forests.

Distribution in Florida: Central and southern Florida, particularly Miami-Dade county.

Background: Introduced as a large shade tree but unsuitable for the urban landscape due to its immense size and extensive root system. Often seen as a street tree, especially in the Coral Gables-Coconut Grove area of Miami

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Larry, here are some ficus in Ruskin. I may not be a good judge of height - somtimes things get bigger in stories - like fish....

Sorry for the quality on this F. elastica, I was driving and I still am nervous to take pictures of people's houses etc.

FicusElastica.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Another at a bed and breakfast in the neighborhood. Not sure what type, but are extremely common.

IMG_1090Large.jpg

IMG_1091Large.jpg

Again, sorry for the poor quality of photos.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B