IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potted Palms and Tropicals Free to Good Home

AggiePalms

Hey folks - You know you need FREE big palms/cycads/tropicals, I have probably 150-200 rapidly growing plants in pots, most of them 3-15+ gallons. There are too many big plants (up to 15 ft tall) to bring inside next winter.

Here is the offer: Come and pick up the potted palms etc. Not just one, but as many as you want and can carry. That's it.

Oh, in addition I will help you load, give you a cold Coke. show you the salt marsh, then thank you for providing a good home. We are in Savannah GA just 15 minutes from I-95.

What have I got? These are just a few examples.

Palms (Aiphanes, Acoelorraphe, Dypsis, Kerriadoxa, Allagoptera, Chambeyronia)

Cycads (a dozen or so species)

Tropicals (Clusea, Ceiba Silk Floss, banyan, mango, tropical citrus)

Believe me, there are lots more... These are all ready to go in the ground and explode, if you are in zone 9b or above. Or keep them in pots. I have had one Key Lime in a pot for 20 years, and many for a decade or more.

Here are a couple of random teaser photos to give you an idea. I will try to get some better pictures this weekend.

Give me a call 912 898 1649 or 912 441 9986.

post-1508-0-26451900-1340337156_thumb.jp

post-1508-0-46950900-1340337235_thumb.jp

post-1508-0-13358800-1340337690_thumb.jp

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

For real, folks...I just don't have the room to bring the palms in during the winter,or the time, to look after these great plants any longer. I am currently working nearly 80 hours per week. Last winter I took in enough big pots to fill my entire garage, shoved as close together as possible. I also filled most of my living room, and much of the sunroom. It took two of us more than a day to get them in Some were taller than the garage or living room. We couldn't get to the far side of the living room, or to the trash can in the garage. So,,,I have to seriously thin the herd. So, come and get 'em!

The first photo is in our living room; plants go to the 16 ft ceiling, and the fireplace is on the opposite wall about 10 ft beyond the brown beam on the ceiling. Plenty of "living" room, right? Three months like that...

The second picture was taken looking into our garage from the outside. See the back wall? I didn't think so. The garage is filled all the way to the back, and the front area where my wife is standing will also be filled with smaller pots in and under the larger pots. Note my wife is thrilled; She is great with sharing my interest in plants, but finally enough is more than enough. The last picture shows one of my frangipanis that has to be turned on its side to get into the garage, then rests at an angle all winter supported by the far back corner wall because it is too tall.. Try that without breaking it! Every winter.

Don't worry, they aren't all that big. See you all soon in my jungle. Help me be nice to my wife while giving these plants a chance.

post-1508-0-56304600-1340347058_thumb.jp

post-1508-0-79437500-1340347298_thumb.jp

post-1508-0-57329200-1340347438_thumb.jp

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Howdy,

First of all - wow, what a generous offer! Thank you!

While I can't get down there until the fall, if you still have a bunch you need to find homes for, I would be more than happy to get them when I go on my fall "South Trip" - probably in September or possibly October - but it will be before the cold starts.

Feel free to PM me if you want to keep this in mind. Thanks!

PS - they would be going in my tropical plant house, with a 12 foot tall ceiling, full of lights and kept warm all winter.

Kennybenjamin -

Hey, it's not all that far from where you are...only halfway around the world. Come on over anyway, pick up a cargo container or so, check them through Customs here and back home, then - presto! good additions to your garden. Well, ok, maybe not too practical, but I appreciate your enthusiasm

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody!

Last Chance! I am desperate about giving away (FREE) these palms and other tropicals to loving palmistas like you! I have dozens of big (3-25 gallon) palms, cycads, and other tropicals that I have to give away before it gets too cold this fall. They will not come back in the house this winter, just too big and too many. A couple of Palm Talk memberrs have graciously agreed to take a few cycads and palms...but there are lots more, especially some quite large tropicals. They will make excellent ready to plant specimens in most of Florida, and great potted plants for those of us in zone 8 (like here). I have grown many of these for 10-20 years or more. These do not have to be dug, they are potted and ready to load (into as big a truck as you can obtain, depending on how many you would like to have).

If you don't want these, they WILL get dumped on the curb for the trashmen to mulch by October 15. I can't bear to see you all needing quality, free plants (several being endangered species), while I dump plants that have been part of my family for so long.

Just call me, set up a time to come over. If you can't find anything you want, I will pay your gas, but I am sure you will take 1-30 plants home with you.

Come on, help me out! Add to your collection! Save our Palms!

912 441 9986 Home

912 898 1649 Cell

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

• 1 month later...

David, don't throw em until the weather gets too cold. Maybe somebody might make it before then. Better than letting them get trashed. If I were in the area, I would jump on the opportunity. Bumping the thread up and maybe somebody can save em.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 2 weeks later...

Do you still have the plants?.......how big of a trailer would someone have to have to get them all?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil