IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Clinosperma macrocarpa (Lavoixia macrocarpa)

LJG

Serious props to all your hard found knowledge Len.. You have had to gain this incredible thru some painful trial and error.. But its fantastic to see what you and Matt have managed!! :yay::greenthumb:

ooooo the COLOR!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 8 months later...

Whats going on with this seedling?!

I gave two to Matt and my runt dampened off. I have 6 left with 5 growing like champs. I was planning on posting some pics at the 1 year anniversary mark in Dec. These are truly unique seedlings.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

One of mine has been growing steadily, the newest leaf has 5 leaflets per side and is about 6 inches (15cm) long. The other had a near death experience...stopped growing for about 6 weeks after potting it up and had a lot of brown tipping. But it started growing again and is growing well now, just one leaf behind the other. I'll wait for Len to post his one year pics and will put some up of mine as well.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Matt put yours up man! I just wanted to document the one I have photo'ed already.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Matt put yours up man! I just wanted to document the one I have photo'ed already.

Matt emailed his pics to me Len, his is seeding already, has great colour and is very swollen at the base, he said to post, so here it is :) I look fwd to see both yours n Matts.

Pete :)

post-5709-0-45277900-1378440887_thumb.jp

Pete, I thought I told you not to post those. Didn't want to make Len feel like a loser. He's gets cranky when his palms aren't the biggest.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

I never told anyone this but when I gave Matt those two I hugged and kissed them goodbye as I felt like I would never see them alive again.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I got these from Len several months ago. Len has the conditions for the first year on New Cal stuff so dialed that I didn't dare take them until that were clearly growing on their own power (i.e. no longer living off seed reserves). The first year of growth on these rare New Cal palms is so difficult and Len's success rate is really amazing. After that, as Jerry suggests, we've found that "sharing the love" can be important as there have been some plants (like Basselinia homboldtiana) that I just cannot grow, and others (like Clinosperma lanuginosa) that seem happy with me and not with Len. Luckily the Lavoixia seems to be OK in both of our hands so far.

When I got the Lavoixia, I acclimated in a partially closed tupperware container in my greenhouse for about 6 weeks gradually opening it more and more. After the first week or so I repotted to 4" x 9" pots. I also sprayed with anti-transpirant, which I've found to be a bit of a magic bullet for acclimating palms from a more humid environment...it can make the difference between 100% and 0% success in some cases.

Here is the one that never skipped a beat after I got it.

2013-09-07003_zpsb8856d1e.jpg

And the one that stopped growing for about 6 weeks. It's actually growing as fast as the other now, but is a bit loose in the soil (hence the rocks for stabilization). So not completely out of the woods, but it's been improving for several months now.

2013-09-07002_zps1e1b90ed.jpg

Matt

San Diego

Amazing stuff you guys, I've learned so much from both of your threads!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

How big are the Clinosperma lanuginosas that you are growing? A pic would be even better! Seem stable here in a range of conditions but terribly slow, maybe one leaf per year. Tempting to put one in the ground but they are so tiny.

Epic news and thread to remember.. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

How big are the Clinosperma lanuginosas that you are growing? A pic would be even better! Seem stable here in a range of conditions but terribly slow, maybe one leaf per year. Tempting to put one in the ground but they are so tiny.

To give you an idea of the minimal temp changes that can kill these Lanuginosas; I had some about on there 6-7th leaves. So about 3 years from seed. We had a spike in heat in early summer one week. I left the palms in the higher shelf in GH and within 1 week all were dead before I was warned. Maybe hit high 90s in GH. Had they simply been on the ground of the GH where it is 5 degrees cooler like the two years prior, they would be alive. You really can not get complacent with NewCals. My Velutina's are really yellow and have leaf fungus that just happened the last few weeks thanks to a spike in temps here in SoCal that put the GH in the mid 90s most the day.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Yes, the lanuginosas are really sensitive. MIne looked great and were growing pretty well, I'd say 2-3 leaves per year rate. Much faster than one I had gotten previously shipped in from Hawaii as a seedling (that died). Last week it was hot here, but probably no hotter than 88F or so at our place and I had not left my greenhouse door open. It's well vented, so I really doubt it ever got above 100F. But the lanuginosas yellowed and clearly suffered. I've got them out in the shadehouse now and am waiting to see if they'll make it, but they definitely did not like the heat. Nothing else in the greenhouse seemed to suffer at all, including several rare New Cal palms.

I saw Len's Lavoixia today and most are at least a full leaf ahead of mine. So far these are not too slow for a New Caledonian palm.

Matt

San Diego

Thanks for the lanuginosa updates. Mine will have seen close to 0c on the odd occasion and plenty of wet 'n cold but don't seem to affected by winter.

• 3 years later...

Any chance of some updated pics on these rare beauties Len??? I'm curious to see what 4.5 years of growth has done for these things..... I'm sure I'm not the only one interesting in seeing them

Here is an update Ben. Two planted and one in pot left. My travel schedule always coincides with rediculous weather events. My almost 5 weeks in Madagascar just happened to be during a 100 degree/10% humidity Santa Ana event. Greenhouse had to of hit 110. Lots of dead New Cals. Very frustrating place to grow stuff from there. 

Here are to quick pics of the largest from this post. Maybe a leaf a year in ground. But this is typical for me as they root slowly in and then begin to start growing after 3-5 years. Some times I wish I lived in Hawaii  

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5652.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

25 minutes ago, LJG said:

Here is an update Ben. Two planted and one in pot left. My travel schedule always coincides with rediculous weather events. My almost 5 weeks in Madagascar just happened to be during a 100 degree/10% humidity Santa Ana event. Greenhouse had to of hit 110. Lots of dead New Cals. Very frustrating place to grow stuff from there. 

Here are to quick pics of the largest from this post. Maybe a leaf a year in ground. But this is typical for me as they root slowly in and then begin to start growing after 3-5 years. Some times I wish I lived in Hawaii  

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5652.JPG

Looks great Len; love the fuzzy petioles at such a young age. Yeah, greenhouses & New Cals are scary. Next time you're away, I can baby sit them. I promise that nearly all of them will still be there when you return.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I honestly should be sending them off to palm babysitters. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Wow, what a great looking palm.... glad to see you have got a couple in the ground already. Pretty good growth from that little germinated seed at the start of this thread (and your avitar)

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Bump! Any updates on the Clinopserma macrocarpas???

Edited by Rd003

The one showed is dead. Even with a barrier of stakes,  my two dogs decided to tackle each other and like the slow motion stuff in the Matrix, I watched in slow motion as they rolled over the stakes and pancaked my plant. It is in palm heaven. The good news is one from that seed batch survived and is in the ground at Matt Ps place. It looks great. I have 8 more from last seed batch in my greenhouse to try again. Just lost 7 dang years. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

If this story isnt tragic i dont know what is, 7yr is pretty crazy to lose such a precious palm to a couple dogs living it up =/ 

T J 

10 hours ago, LJG said:

The one showed is dead. Even with a barrier of stakes,  my two dogs decided to tackle each other and like the slow motion stuff in the Matrix, I watched in slow motion as they rolled over the stakes and pancaked my plant. It is in palm heaven. The good news is one from that seed batch survived and is in the ground at Matt Ps place. It looks great. I have 8 more from last seed batch in my greenhouse to try again. Just lost 7 dang years.

A seven year reset, that is what I call patience Len!  We love our dogs, but darn they can be trouble at times.   One of my Angraecum sororium orchids fell victim to my son's Black Lab pup's chewing fetish, so I can relate. Fortunately I did have a second one which survives today.

On 9/8/2013 at 9:17 PM, Matt in SD said:

I saw Len's Lavoixia today and most are at least a full leaf ahead of mine.

Matt, sounds like you are now 7 years ahead of Len.  Share a current picture of yours when you get a chance. 

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

6 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

If this story isnt tragic i dont know what is, 7yr is pretty crazy to lose such a precious palm to a couple dogs living it up =/ 

I had another one the same size that died from just a bad planting location. So I was 0-2 in the ground :(

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

A seven year reset, that is what I call patience Len!  We love our dogs, but darn they can be trouble at times.   One of my Angraecum sororium orchids fell victim to my son's Black Lab pup's chewing fetish, so I can relate. Fortunately I did have a second one which survives today.

Matt, sounds like you are now 7 years ahead of Len.  Share a current picture of yours when you get a chance. 

Mine have done some other stuff too. I have one dog that if she gets out into the backyard when I’m not home from kids leaving the door open, it looks like a war zone in backyard. Holes all over and my bromeliads ripped out of the ground (many of the ones that flowed and are rotting are eaten). 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

On 6/21/2012 at 3:47 PM, MattyB said:

I'll buy it right now for $300. What is it?

What a prophetic statement..

54 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

What a prophetic statement..

That's not a prophetic statement. That's the story of our lives.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 5/26/2019 at 1:10 AM, LJG said:

I had another one the same size that died from just a bad planting location. So I was 0-2 in the ground :(

The one across from syagrus amara?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Here is mine.  Pretty happy with performance through first winter in the ground.

IMG_20190531_063633645.jpg

IMG_20190531_063627161.jpg

• Like 1

San Diego

And some bonus new Cal eye candy

Basselinia pancheri

Kentiopsis magnifica

Kentiopsis piersoniorum (just trunking)

Cyphokentia (moratia) cerifera

IMG_20190531_063745153.jpg

IMG_20190531_063736298.jpg

IMG_20190531_063721074.jpg

IMG_20190531_063704596.jpg

• Like 3

San Diego