IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Clinosperma macrocarpa (Lavoixia macrocarpa)

LJG

Does anyone want to guess what this is? :yay:

post-649-0-26637500-1340259135_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Lavoixia macrocarpa :) Well done!!!!!!! :drool:

Did it germinate naturally or did you used John's technique,removing the micropyle cover?

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Trust me,he wouldnt be doing like that for a Dictyocaryum :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

There's no telling what Len has got his hands on now... I am tuned in though.

I'll buy it right now for $300. What is it?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Think the seed is too round for Clinosperma macrocarpa. Not Dictyocaryum either. But to answer your question: No I do not want to guess, I want to know, so don't keep us in suspenders!

Easy one for NewCal nuts. Kostas got it right. Thanks to John's documentation in another thread, Matt and I were able to get 10/20 to germinate. Once we get the spikes to open I will start a thread to detail things to hopefully provide documentation to better the chance of germination and survival of this very rare species. Matt delidded them and found some very interesting things that might explain why this seed is so hard to germinate and when it does, to keep it from rotting out.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

If it is what I thinks it is, Len will be my age when it starts to trunk!

Bob, 1- I hope I live that long :) 2- I am sure these will be just as difficult to cultivate as other tough to grow NewCals, so I hope to get at least one to grow in the garden.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

10 out of 20.... WOW congratulations men..Rainwater only ( never shitty chlorinated town water) and unimpeded fast drainage from now on....All the Best with continued success. . Whacko, record breakers.. :) Very Happy for you Len and great work delidding Matty.....Excitement plus...,how long ago did you get the seed? Im applauding Loudly for this phenomenal achievment... Pete..

When they are a good five gal size, I'll take three of them.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Ahhh, the cats out of the bag. Good thing, I don't like keeping secrets. The de-lidding was a challenge on these, will give more details when Len's ready to put a whole story together. I'm very happy with 10/20 to the roots and spike stage. There were actually about 13 that germinated, but a couple rotted very early, and one rotted a few weeks after germinating. And there were 2 seeds out of the 20 that were rotten to begin with.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Ahhh, the cats out of the bag. Good thing, I don't like keeping secrets. The de-lidding was a challenge on these, will give more details when Len's ready to put a whole story together. I'm very happy with 10/20 to the roots and spike stage. There were actually about 13 that germinated, but a couple rotted very early, and one rotted a few weeks after germinating. And there were 2 seeds out of the 20 that were rotten to begin with.

Matt

Fantastic Work Matt ( sorry i added the y to yr name on my last post) You and Len are Phenomenal Record breakers...Masterful Stuff, New C Palms excite me the most..Even with a very cracked skull and brain, im smiling from ear to ear with this thread..What a fantastic future outlook for this Palm..Intense inspiration and happiness, thanks....yeeha.. :) ps ..as I wrote above, rainwater only and fast unimpeded drainage from now on..Plus 1 granule of Nutricoat for now..

Wow that is fantastic you both must have been over the moon when you saw the first signs of germination well done.

Pete,

Len's been pounding away at the rare/tough New Cal stuff for a few years now and has a great setup for getting these from the germinated stage through to a few leaves (including perfect water). And I've been de-lidding quite a bit of stuff including lots of tougher New Cal plants. We got some of the bugs worked out on "ho hum" stuff like old Clinosperma lanuginosa, and various Basselinia seeds before cutting into these guys :mrlooney: So we're hoping our collaboration on this will pay off.

I was actually more excited when I saw roots and spikes than when they first started moving. It wasn't until that point that I felt confident that they had a fighting chance.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

Pete,

Len's been pounding away at the rare/tough New Cal stuff for a few years now and has a great setup for getting these from the germinated stage through to a few leaves (including perfect water). And I've been de-lidding quite a bit of stuff including lots of tougher New Cal plants. We got some of the bugs worked out on "ho hum" stuff like old Clinosperma lanuginosa, and various Basselinia seeds before cutting into these guys :mrlooney: So we're hoping our collaboration on this will pay off.

I was actually more excited when I saw roots and spikes than when they first started moving. It wasn't until that point that I felt confident that they had a fighting chance.

Matt

Thanks Matt, I will be picking up Len at the Airport, he has 1 for me in his top pocket... :) Great News Matt and Len, Well Done you "Big Achievers".

LOL! Good luck Pedro, I'm one of Lens good friends and I won't get a sniff of one of those either.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Pete, Matt is so good at delidding now that when I gave him some B faverii's that had not germinated in almost a year he took a seed and delidded with his finger. He is getting cocky. However it did work :)

Gary, if I can get a few to 1 gallon you got one. You know that.

FYI, I know someone that got a few to germinate the old fashioned way. Hopefully someday he will post about it because that is the bad ass way. Not many people can pull that off!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I think this is the BEST place to drop my 15,000th post! WELL DONE Len and Matt!! (As soon as I saw the seed I knew... due to its unique look AND why you would post the news!, I just couldn't log into Palmtalk.. :( )

Anyway, glad to see the New caledonia palms getting a firmer foothold OUT of New Caledonia!

Would love one if they ever reach size, but I suspect they are spoken for..

Again GREAT work Guys... AND another tip of the Hat to JOHN for pioneering this and posting about it.

Oops, miscount early in the morning 10 more posts to 15,000 the sentiment was there.. :blush:

Edited by BS Man about Palms

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I thought they were more like an almond shape but clearly not. Was there a reason for leaving the fruit on? My instinct would be to clean thoroughly before attempting delidding which perhaps explains my total failure with this technique! They pop then flop.

I thought they were more like an almond shape but clearly not. Was there a reason for leaving the fruit on? My instinct would be to clean thoroughly before attempting delidding which perhaps explains my total failure with this technique! They pop then flop.

Once you hold one you will understand why. Also, Matt said delidding gave him another hypothesis on why they don't germinate easily. Have you seen the escape in the Shawshank Redemption? For the plant to germinate it is kind of like that! Once we put up a detailed thread I think you will get a great idea. We hope that others will buy seed from RPS and have great success. Maybe even improve the technique like Matt had from John's post.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

There is no fruit on those seeds. That is how they came from RPS and the fruit was already removed. The seed coat is just heavily ridged.

Matt

San Diego

Matt, any luck delidding those Raphia ruenzorica?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hi Matt,

Those Raphia were all rotten. Bummer.

San Diego

Once you hold one you will understand why. Also, Matt said delidding gave him another hypothesis on why they don't germinate easily. Have you seen the escape in the Shawshank Redemption? For the plant to germinate it is kind of like that! Once we put up a detailed thread I think you will get a great idea. We hope that others will buy seed from RPS and have great success. Maybe even improve the technique like Matt had from John's post.

Would be good to publish in Palms too. Sadly just discovered this species is not permitted here - just in case it becomes weedy!

The internet appears to be useless here.

Is this Lavoixia macrocarpa, or has it been moved to the Genus Clinosperma as some sites suggest? (contradictory photos suggest it doesn't look like Clinosperma seed/nut)

Thanks

-Erik

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

I think this is the BEST place to drop my 15,000th post! WELL DONE Len and Matt!! (As soon as I saw the seed I knew... due to its unique look AND why you would post the news!, I just couldn't log into Palmtalk.. :( )

Anyway, glad to see the New caledonia palms getting a firmer foothold OUT of New Caledonia!

Again GREAT work Guys... AND another tip of the Hat to JOHN for pioneering this and posting about it.

Bill - you were just confused post's weeds hey they are all the same. Right?

Oops, miscount early in the morning 10 more posts to 15,000 the sentiment was there.. :blush:

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Bill -you were just confused post's weeds hey they are all the Csame. Right?n

Bill -you were just confused post's weeds hey they are all the Csame. Right?n

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

The internet appears to be useless here.

Is this Lavoixia macrocarpa, or has it been moved to the Genus Clinosperma as some sites suggest? (contradictory photos suggest it doesn't look like Clinosperma seed/nut)

Thanks

-Erik

Got shifted into Clinosperma a few years ago now. Seed does look quite different to the picture on RPS but perhaps that was heavily cleaned of the ridges.

Good job, another one for the delidding technique! I'll be looking forward to the thread in detail. I am oblivious as to the difficulty of this but going by some of the responses it looks like something big. Congrats!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

• 1 month later...

I missed this one the first time around. How are they doing? Are you going to put a small one in the ground? All of my planted New Cal seedlings are still doing great. Keep me in mind if you come across any more in the future.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

• 3 months later...

Well, here is the six month update for the plant first shown above. It has grown well in 6 months. You can see some color already in the second pic. The third pic shows the 'NewCal jungle'. Lots of great stuff growing up in that photo.

post-649-0-74384400-1355938800_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-79893300-1355938812_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-28022600-1355938822_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Looks unreal! Congrats! What medium are you using to prevent the possibility of damping off?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Nice work Len! Both you and Matt in SD's greenhouse cultural practices are impeccable. We could learn a lot from y'all.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

"Very Legendary Stuff" going on here for the "Palm World", cant believe the growth Len, :yay: Bravo.....Brilliant stuff "Legend Len" and "Master Matt is SD " :) Pete

Quite a nice little forest you've got going there Len and a rare one at that. Everything is looking so healthy too and I bet they get a lot of attention.

Looking forward to future updates.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks Matt, Tim and Pete. Pete, you are too funny. :)

Frank, thanks for your interest. I use 33% lava rock shipped in from HI, 33% Fox Farms Light Warrior and 33% Fox Farms Ocean Forest. I also control pH more by amending with some Dolomitic Lime. All plants you see in those trays are keep in those trays with their lids on keeping humidity at no lower than 90%. Since I introduced this approach in my culture with my NewCals I have never had to treat with fungicides where in the past I was using Subdue and Cleary's every few weeks. The plants are very healthy so the funguses associated with damping off don't take hold.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin