IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floribunda Palms & Exotics

bgl

this may sound silly - but if the palms are growing that fast - how long will they live ?

The Amazing collection of Palms at Floibunda and all over the Big island will live for a very very long time.

There are many palm growing areas in the world where palms actually grow "faster' than the Big Island.

Palms in FNQ grow "faster but the trunks are thinner because of much higher temperatures.

The advantage of palms growing on the Big Island is the "year round warmth" and massive rainfall.

A little point thats important also about Palm health on the Big Island id like to say is that with the massive rainfall, its very important to fertilise and heavily mulch and top dress just like all the pics Bill Austin posts..If Palm gardens where suddenly abandoned or sold to unenthusiastic palm growers that dont care for palms as i added above, this is when disease and deaths start to mennace palms. ....So Many beautiful Palm gardens in Hawaii must be forever thankful to near all their palms growing have come from Floribunda..

Oliver,

My appologies as well, I must admit, you really had me fooled. After seeing Bill roll his eyes, and being a personal friend to Jeff, well, you had me fooled. :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thank you for the great pictures of Jeff´s garden. I hope to get there some day. I have no idea when, but some day.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

It looks like I'm going to be on the Big Island (again) in August. I definately would like to make the trip to Jeff's this time. Not sure of my schedule just yet. BTW, whats to see on Maui? Apparently I'm going there too.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

It looks like I'm going to be on the Big Island (again) in August. I definately would like to make the trip to Jeff's this time. Not sure of my schedule just yet. BTW, whats to see on Maui? Apparently I'm going there too.

Went to Maui last fall and saw the Maui Tropical Gardens which are pretty nice. That was the only hardcore palm place I saw though. Worth the trip if you are out there.

I have only been within the Maui airport during a flight change. Take a moment to view the excellent sculpture of 'Maui capturing the Sun'. :winkie:

San Francisco, California

Thanks for all the photos Bo and Kim! Jeff seems to have the most significant collection of palms in the world. His seemingly endless passion has led to this collection and to his contributions towards scientific publications and conservation. Maybe he should start a monthly show called Masterpiece Palm Garden where he could elaborate on certain genera or species and the adventures associated with collecting and growing them. I know I would watch!

Thanks for all the photos Bo and Kim! Jeff seems to have the most significant collection of palms in the world. His seemingly endless passion has led to this collection and to his contributions towards scientific publications and conservation. Maybe he should start a monthly show called Masterpiece Palm Garden where he could elaborate on certain genera or species and the adventures associated with collecting and growing them. I know I would watch!

Jason,

Just such a show is coming. I will be "filming" next week. If you haven't seen these yet you should. They will give you a good idea of how fast things grow at Jeff's when the new Tour comes out.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/MARCUS_GARDEN_TOUR

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Amazing Dean! I finished part one and look forward to the others. I will try and catch up in time for the new episodes. You are a fabulous photographer and the editing/tech skills make the presentation priceless for any palm fanatic not able to be there in person. Thanks for letting me travel there!

Keep it up Dean and we're gonna have a Palm-TV network show. The wonderful thing about a trip to Jeff's is you ALWAYS see something

spectacular you didn't see before. It's overwhelming.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Jason,

Just such a show is coming. I will be "filming" next week. If you haven't seen these yet you should. They will give you a good idea of how fast things grow at Jeff's when the new Tour comes out.

http://www.palmpedia...CUS_GARDEN_TOUR

Dean,

Will the reality show be coming to south Florida anytime soon? B)

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Keep it up Dean and we're gonna have a Palm-TV network show. The wonderful thing about a trip to Jeff's is you ALWAYS see something

spectacular you didn't see before. It's overwhelming.

Everyone thought the "P" in PBS was for "Public." :) And yes you are right - always something you didn't know was there.

Kona, on The Big Island

Jason,

Dean,

I doubt it.

I heard reality shows avoid Searles. Or did you guys make it on that wedding gig?

Kona, on The Big Island

Jason,

Dean,

I doubt it.

I heard reality shows avoid Searles. Or did you guys make it on that wedding gig?

Ha,ha. BUT YES, the reality show, Four Weddings ( airs on channel TLC ) came to south Florida back in March and our very own Melissa was picked to be on the show. She got married on March 31st in our garden. Wahooo! I will make an annoucment in the very near future on the date that the show will air. And yes, my lovely wife Andrea and I will be seen walking Melissa down the pathway. It was a beautiful setting if I may say so myself.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 5 months later...