IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floribunda Palms & Exotics

bgl

At the risk of causing further injury, I have a few more photos to add. :winkie: Let's start with an ordinary Dypsis pilulifera, or 'orange crush'. I was hoping to buy a few, but this is not a good choice for an absentee grower as they can be difficult to keep happy when small.

post-216-072793100 1340072959_thumb.jpg

Just in case you were not floored by the size of the Beccariophoenix, here it is again, and another with flowers and seeds:

post-216-049095300 1340073149_thumb.jpg post-216-072230500 1340073177_thumb.jpg

A close-up of the renamed Licuala, Lanonia dasyantha:

post-216-061133700 1340073254_thumb.jpg

Something really cool from Colombia and Ecuador (thanks for the correction), a Geonoma Jeff described as "chocolate"; the name is G. tamandua var. macrostachya. The can grow at least chest high, with big fat leaves; the unusual coloring and leaf texture are remarkable.

post-216-036672400 1340073497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kim
corrected name
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

When we came upon the Iriartea deltoidea, all I could say was, "OMG! OMG!" These are very tall and very impressive.

post-216-035060500 1340073682_thumb.jpg post-216-066556500 1340073745_thumb.jpg

post-216-059443700 1340073709_thumb.jpg

Some closer shots of the Dypsis leucomalla (fka 'sp. white'). As Jeff describes it, this thing feels like styrofoam. It isn't plant-like. He had rigged up some plastic to keep the recent heavy rains from knocking off the seeds. Jeff's hand on the spear for scale, 4th photo. We're talking Jurassic...

post-216-004287600 1340073916_thumb.jpg post-216-034677000 1340073942_thumb.jpg

post-216-020197800 1340073969_thumb.jpg post-216-045228800 1340073989_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Folks, this is meant to INSPIRE! :)

It inspires me! Inspires me save some money to buy a little property in Hawaii. So does Leilani Estates need any new neighbors?

A few more sights you don't see every day, Hydriastele macrocarpa:

post-216-002756600 1340074243_thumb.jpg

Loxococcus rupicola producing seed knee-high off the ground.

post-216-078796900 1340074660_thumb.jpg

What happens when a palm is fertilized heavily, gets lots and lots of rain, then a dry spell:

post-216-037852800 1340074718_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

This Pritchardia viscosa was a delight to photograph, begging your indulgence in multiple pix. :rolleyes:

post-216-049578800 1340074881_thumb.jpg post-216-096949300 1340074906_thumb.jpg

post-216-014430700 1340074934_thumb.jpg

Another lesson for me in trying to identify young Dypsis: on the left, young D. mananjarensis. On the right, more mature D. mananjarensis. They do change as they grow. Oops! Big correction here: Palm on left is not mananjarensis. I bow to the superior ID skills of my forum peers! :) I guess I can't listen and take photos at the same time.

post-216-035362500 1340075063_thumb.jpg post-216-034028600 1340075085_thumb.jpg

Last photo, Bo and Suchin with the truckload of palms. She is smiling because she and Jeff just sold us twice as many palms as we had intended to buy. :lol:

post-216-065483300 1340075204_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Thanks Kim for more photos. You always take such great photos. That Geonoma tamandua var. macrostachya is something else.

I think the palm is a young Dypsis Hovo, not Mananjarensis.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Something really cool from South-east Asia, a Geonoma Jeff described as "chocolate"; the name is G. tamandua var. macrostachya. The can grow at least chest high, with big fat leaves; the unusual coloring and leaf texture are remarkable.

A Geonoma from South-east Asia? I think not but it's flippin' cool anyway!

cheers

Richard

I give up. I will pave over my land with concrete and take up knitting. :mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Kim:

More great pics of great plants! I suspect no more space in the truck may be what finally closed the tab?

The Geonoma is from the Colombian Choco and lowland Esmeraldas, Ecuador. Jeff calls them G. tamandua, I prefer G. atrovirens and Andrew Henderson resunk both names into G macrostachys var. macrostachys last year. Leaves to 6' plus. I have a few and consider them one of the world's most beautiful small palms. Michael Calonje of Montgomery has photos of almost jet black wild adults in western Colombia that would cause strong men to faint ;^)

J

Something really cool from South-east Asia, a Geonoma Jeff described as "chocolate"; the name is G. tamandua var. macrostachya. The can grow at least chest high, with big fat leaves; the unusual coloring and leaf texture are remarkable.

A Geonoma from South-east Asia? I think not but it's flippin' cool anyway!

cheers

Richard

I first said it was Iguanura from South America, but I didn't take notes. I frequently mess up names of palms I don't grow yet. People correct me; I learn. :) If it's Geonoma, it's from Central or South America, yes?

Edit: Thanks for the clarification, Jay.

Kim Cyr

Thanks Kim for more photos. You always take such great photos. That Geonoma tamandua var. macrostachya is something else.

Maybe I was distracted, but I'm fairly certain both are mananjarensis. There are several all planted together, and Jeff was making the point about how different they can look.

Kim Cyr

Amazing! Loved the apple Cyrtostachys and the P. viscosa...:drool:

Dear bgl or Kim,

What is the elevation of this garden?

Thanks for the pics!

:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Jonathan, I believe the elevation is right around 800 ft.

And Jay, thanks a lot for the additional information! Much appreciated! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Grrrr.... now I want a P. viscosa too. :angry:

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I have always been a little stubborn when the facts are in front in front of me... :lol:

I WILL NOT GIVE UP! (There could be room for #2!) :rolleyes:

And I also agree with Lens observation.

Kim, I just realised there is a function on my camera that allows a 5-8 second audio recording after you snap the pic. I don't know if all new cameras have this, but I think it would be handy for "overwhelming PRA's" :D I hope to try mine out soon enough.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Maybe I was distracted, but I'm fairly certain both are mananjarensis. There are several all planted together, and Jeff was making the point about how different they can look.

I guess to clarify why Len and I think that way... D.. hovo's ARE known to change a lot while growing.. BUT the mealybug/mananjarensis has those distinct markings from the first few leaves!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for the additional pics Kim. Love the Loxococcos Rupicola, nice to

see that they are seeding and coming full circle for Jeff. I just ordered 12 seedlings from

him, the purplish new leaf is really cool.

aloha

I guess to clarify why Len and I think that way... D.. hovo's ARE known to change a lot while growing.. BUT the mealybug/mananjarensis has those distinct markings from the first few leaves!

To help there are two D.man. and a D. hov .planted to the side of them were Kim is taking this shot so it would to get them mixed upblink.gif

It inspires me! Inspires me save some money to buy a little property in Hawaii. So does Leilani Estates need any new neighbors?

I will go halves with you Dalion!!!

Absolutely outstanding garden and specimens, what else can one say :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see it all with my own eyes in 4 months time... Any chance that beautiful Pritchardia viscosa had some fruit coming on it? Didn't look like it but maybe at Jeff's rate of growth they will have viable seed available in October :winkie::D

Thanks to Kim and Bo for all of your fine pictures.

For those of you that have never been able to visit Jeff's garden, you might consider it as one of the Great Wonders of the World. It's amazing to walk around and absorb everything there is to look at. I remember my visit there in the 90's, and I still remember everything big back then!

Oh and Jeff, thanks for the recent order of two dozen of the black Geonomas, their doing great! :winkie:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wonderful.

I wish I had the chance to visit a nursery where the proprietor could sell me twice the number of palms I had intended to purchase!!

Thanks, Bo and Kim - Great pics! - I walk the nursery every time we get a chance to visit, and am amazed at how many things I discover for the first time on each trip. The D. leucomalla is and has been my all time favorite palm since first seeing it in 2008. Jeff showed me the Dypsis sp. mealybugs (post #65) on the last visit and they are absolutely fascinating - very unusual and striking coloration. Thanks for taking the time to share your visit with all of us! - gmp

Awesome photos Bo and Kim. I have to say that Jeff's garden might be the thing I miss most about going to Hawaii more regularly.

And I see this post has succeeded in selling some palms...let's really take it full circle and have someone here by my house in Leilani! See for sale section. Still a few days to buy before I get a realtor signed on.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Thanks Kim, I am always totally amazed every time I see pictures of Jeff's garden, it is the finest collection of palms anywhere in the world. I think I need to go home and bulldoze my garden and take up stamp collecting.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

From BS man about Palms: " Kim, I just realized there is a function on my camera that allows a 5-8 second audio recording after you snap the pic. I don't know if all new cameras have this, but I think it would be handy for "overwhelming PRA's" :D I hope to try mine out soon enough."

Bill:I love the voice captioning option for plant names/location. My husband's camera has had it, but my old one didn't. Can't beat the ease with my new camera and sometimes you get nice background noises like frogs and birds too.

Of course I love all the photos and the only thing better will be the plants I receive from Floribunda tomorrow!

Cindy Adair

I agree with Bo. There is no reason to have a competitive response. This shows what can be done by a fully committed, full-time palm raiser under nearly ideal climatic conditions. If I can do on my property just a small fraction of what he has done, I will will be very pleased.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I will go halves with you Dalion!!!

Absolutely outstanding garden and specimens, what else can one say :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see it all with my own eyes in 4 months time... Any chance that beautiful Pritchardia viscosa had some fruit coming on it? Didn't look like it but maybe at Jeff's rate of growth they will have viable seed available in October :winkie::D

Kenny

I think this is how cooperative farming started. You and I can be in on thr ground floor of "Cooperative Palming." (I just wonder if this is how the first time share got started.)

Leo

Oh yea, and his garden also sucks because my rental Prius almost shorted out, trying to get to his garden during the middle of one of those nasty Hawaiian instant rain storms, in which there was 2 ft of water running down the middle of the driveway!

I honestly find seeing Jeff's garden in person and in photos is sort of therapeutic. I have a tendency to want to grow stuff that is "unknown". At some level if it's a palm I've never seen before, I want to grow it just to see what it looks like. But getting to see all this stuff looking like the best case scenario of what it will look like here in 10-20 years lets me make more rational decisions about what to plant, what to keep etc...

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

??:unsure::blink: <--- this is in regards to post #110

??:unsure::blink: <--- this is in regards to post #110

Wouldn't that mean his car sucked?

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

A trip to Floribunda, or a view of photos of his garden, is a learning experience, a chance to see palms you'll never see anywhere else in your entire life, not even in Madagascar or Thailand. It's also a chance to pick up a few special seedlings, and a few ordinary seedlings, take a few risks on unknowns, and leave with visions of fantastical palms bouncing around in your mind, and you dream palms for many nights afterward, with Jeff's voice droning in the background, and Suchin's big smile hovering in the dreams. (I am convinced most of you dream about palms.) It's worth going out of your way for a Floribunda experience --- WAY out of your way! :) For armchair travelers, there is always the lengthy inventory list for making notations and calculations. :rolleyes: Easy to get carried away. :mrlooney: Maybe I'll go back again -- forgot to ask for Verschaffeltia splendida...

Kim Cyr

Oh yea, and his garden also sucks because my rental Prius almost shorted out, trying to get to his garden during the middle of one of those nasty Hawaiian instant rain storms, in which there was 2 ft of water running down the middle of the driveway!

Are you serious, you are just kidding, right? Your saying his garden sucks because you were there that day during some heavy rains? And your car stalled? And that's Jeff's fault? Jeff has worked very hard for over 20 years building up the finest private collection of palms anywhere in the world. Jeff happens to be a very good personal friend of mine. I have been to his nursery many times as well. AND I take it personally your rude comments you just made.

I could give a rat's a$$ about your cactus garden, or better yet, why don't you take a few pictures and show us just how great your garden looks. Then move on.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Easy Jeff, pretty sure it was a tongue in cheek joke.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

A trip to Floribunda is like a trip to the Louvre, except you can buy a priceless treasure (or treasures) of your own. After you awaken from swooning.

My garden is wall-to-wall Floribunda, almost.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sorry Mr. Searle! I was joking, but I hate the big island for more than just Floribuda and my friend Jeff. I also hate it cause I can get in a crappy 25 ft boat and burn 5 gallons of diesel before hitting the jetties and catching a bigger marlin than has ever existed where I live. Sorry for being a hater (envy 'er') Jeff has done an awesome job with Floribunda!

O

BTW - I hate cactus!!

• Upvote 1