IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Always good to look before you jump

tank

Yowza, that's a large 'gator!

Sounds like everyone gets a piece of everyone else.

So, how's Mr. Wimmer doing?

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Now...this is a big gator!!

Date: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 8:55 AM

Lake Thomas, Florida

The first 2 pictures were taken by a KTBS helicopter flying over Lake Thomas, Winter Haven, Florida.

The helicopter pilot and the game wardens on the ground were in communication via 2-way radios.

Here is a transcript of their conversation.

'Air1, have you a visual on the gator, Over'

'Approaching inlet now, Over'

'Roger Air1'

'Gator sighted. Looks like it has a small animal in its mouth....moving in, over'

'Roger Air1'

'Oh Crap it's a Deer!'

'Confirm Air1.. Did you say Deer?, Over'

'Roger.........a Deer in its mouth....looks like a full sized buck....that's a big gator, boys.

We're gonna need more men, Over'

'Roger Air1.....can you give me a idea on size of animal, over'

'It's a big one.....25 feet at least, please advise, gator is heading to inlet....do I pursue?, Over'

That has to be a HUGE gator to have a whole deer in its mouth!

The deer was later found to be a mature Stag.

If you ski at the west end of the lake ---- try not to fall overboard.

This alligator was found between Lakeland and Winter Haven Florida near the house

of Anita and Charlie Rogers, who could hear the beast bellowing in the night.

Their neighbors had been telling them that they had seen a mammoth alligator in the waterway that runs behind their house, but they dismissed the stories as exaggerations.

'I didn't believe it,' Charles Rogers said, but after the alligator was killed, they realized the stories were, if anything, understated.

Game wardens were forced to shoot the alligator. Joe Goff, a 6'5" tall game warden, shown below, walks past the 28-foot, 1-inch long alligator that he helped shoot and kill in the Rogers' back yard.

post-1122-004564200 1339871216_thumb.jpg

post-1122-031695300 1339871224_thumb.jpg

post-1122-089795500 1339871234_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Game wardens were forced to shoot the alligator. Joe Goff, a 6'5" tall game warden, shown below, walks past the 28-foot, 1-inch long alligator that he helped shoot and kill in the Rogers' back yard.

Sucks they had to kill it but that is a monster gator.

• Like 1

Whoo-ee, thirteen feet is big, for sure.

It would take a lot of buttermilk to get him ready for the grill. . .

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 7 years later...

Wow impressive!

But one of our esteemed Florida denizens had some big ones in the lake near his house that were about that size. Males too bellowing loudly!

• Like 2

The Florida Alligator population has been decimated by the attack of the Burmese Pythons...LOL!

What you look for is what is looking

11 hours ago, bubba said:

The Florida Alligator population has been decimated by the attack of the Burmese Pythons...LOL!

I remember way back when I was a kid and gators were endangered!

• Like 1

I do too. Now the whole state is an alligator farm! 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 12:29 PM, bubba said:

I do too. Now the whole state is an alligator farm! 

A couple days before I visited you down in PB, I went out for some evening recreation, and walked by this freeway intersection that had big pools of water in the middle of each "cloverleaf"; and each of those was full of alligators. In the middle of the city. Shine a flashlight and see the little red coals gleaming.

Then, a few much much bigger red eyes, much further apart, moving toward you.

• Like 1

Dave-O,

Gators do not like us human folk. They do like smaller animals (unfortunately dogs) that they encounter at the edge of the water. This is where you hear the whack of the tail and the gator drags the small animal into the water and proceeds to stuff said animal into the side of the lake/pond to properly tenderize.

Gators, however, do not see well and this leads to sad tales of children and older folks near water’s edge getting whacked by the tail. I can recall a number of times when I was 10-12 hunting golf balls in the water without shoes. You would step on a ball and toss it on the shore. From time to time, you would feel a swish swish rollin buggy to get out of the way. I was informed by a buddies older brother, who taught us these skills, that gators do not like the way we smell (or something like that) and will do anything to get away from said human. One exception: should you step in a Mother’s den, usually near the side with her children. All bets are off in that situation.

I have watched numerous times at UF, Gatorman, a Vietnam Vet, riding on the back of gators at Lake Alice. (Curtis Reeves/ Gatorman). He moved to California! Fear of gators is like that of snakes. They really have no interest in us humans unless we encroach on them.

• Upvote 1

Alligators are similar to Crocodiles in that they are ectothermic, their internal metabolism doesn't generate heat for them as do mammals. So they don't need so much food to maintain themselves, smaller prey is enough.

Crocodiles however, will readily attack larger animals, they have their own perspective on the "immovable object/irresistable force paradox". The heavy body of a horse/cattle/buffalo is the immovable object and the death roll of the croc the irresistable force. Give point is the neck.

But an equine/bovine victim is far more than they can eat. They'll stash the body away, not for a later snack but to act as bait for fish. The croc will lay in ambush for fish that come in to feed on the carcass.

I've seen crocs feeding on a full sized buffalo but that's usually where there's competition from a number of crocs. Smaller ones will go in for a quick bite and take off before a larger croc re-asserts its dominance. They can't afford to wait for a fish to turn up.   

the biggest croc I've been involved in capturing was a 4.3 metre male we put a satellite tracker on. After tranquillizing had to use a 4WD to drag him up on the bank. He was named Moline. The adventures of Moline with the satellite tracker is an incredibly remarkable (but long) story in itself.

Moline sleeping off the tranquillizer.

mrp157401.jpg.e83935df5c02c9228274a45653e239d2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I have heard and seen a large group of gators attack and gore in the same manner you describe a large bull. It was at a friend’s hunting camp at the headwaters of the St. John’s river in the jungles west of Melbourne, Florida. Horrible sight that noised throughout the country-side. The St. John river and the Nile are the only two that flow nortb.

Crocodiles are much larger than gators in Australia and other tropical areas that they live. That stated, Florida is the only place on earth where crocodiles and gators are both indigenous and live together. The Florida crocodile population had fallen to protected status also but are now seen all over the place, although nowhere near the size you encounter.

• Like 2

About 25 years ago I went on a fishing trip out to 4 mile Billabong ( Part of Kakadu ) with some work mates. It was in August so deep in the dry season. it was a full moon weekend and the 4 mile can be one of those finicky fishing spots where the barra are not big feeders in cool/cold dry conditions, but often respond to a full moon. So we fished all night trolling up and down in the bright moonlight. and surprisingly cool too, i wore my old NATO winter combat coat and we ( as fishermen sometimes do ) we kept warm internally with Bundaberg Rum .
So we called it quits about 4.00am, had a small fire going and circled the wagons, or in this case 4wd Toyotas. We were set up maybe 40 odd foot from the waters edge i suppose. Two mates swagged it on the ground, me ? I'm like, "nah, I might just lay out the swag in the tray of the Tojo...." so up off the ground.....
So just after dawn a couple of other mates turned up, we were still asleep, so they roused us awake, put the kettle on for a cuppa etc. Now the site, being part of Kakadu, has a strict 'no dogs' policy, but one of the fellas brought his new blue heeler pup with him, and as pups do, it ran around the campsite, annoying the two blokes in the swags on the ground etc, then it would run down to the waters edge then back to the campsite....it did this 3 or 4 times....
Then out of no where ( well out of the murky water at a guess ? ) this bloody great pale almost yellow beast comes charging up the grass, between the two mates in their swags, grabs the puppy, and does a u-turn back into the water.... all in the blink of an eye ! 
Its funny now, but I was joined in the back of the Toyota tray by my two swag bound mates and the other two blokes who'd just arrived !.....all of us going, "@#%* what just happened !"
The whole thing was seen by another group of campers who contacted the Ranger stationed at the Billabong, he later turned up and let rip at the idiots who brought a dog with them to the campsite. Apparently this pale croc was/is a well known owner of this stretch of water.... for all I know he's probably still there.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bubba said:

I have heard and seen a large group of gators attack and gore in the same manner you describe a large bull. It was at a friend’s hunting camp at the headwaters of the St. John’s river in the jungles west of Melbourne, Florida. Horrible sight that noised throughout the country-side. The St. John river and the Nile are the only two that flow nortb.

Crocodiles are much larger than gators in Australia and other tropical areas that they live. That stated, Florida is the only place on earth where crocodiles and gators are both indigenous and live together. The Florida crocodile population had fallen to protected status also but are now seen all over the place, although nowhere near the size you encounter.

Fair size to this one too ( Borroloola, Northern Territory )
23971_108879635795481_7145982_n.jpg.a11671777765f052742d119c9ffbaaa7.jpg23971_108879639128814_4001288_n.jpg.70bf4606c7757872894260fc1260b2ee.jpg23971_108879642462147_2314631_n.jpg.9b6dd6a81a1e002ff80a9057567871ee.jpg
Not my pics...... sent to me many years ago by a friend working in Borroloola.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bubba said:

Dave-O,

Gators do not like us human folk. They do like smaller animals (unfortunately dogs) that they encounter at the edge of the water. This is where you hear the whack of the tail and the gator drags the small animal into the water and proceeds to stuff said animal into the side of the lake/pond to properly tenderize.

Gators, however, do not see well and this leads to sad tales of children and older folks near water’s edge getting whacked by the tail. I can recall a number of times when I was 10-12 hunting golf balls in the water without shoes. You would step on a ball and toss it on the shore. From time to time, you would feel a swish swish rollin buggy to get out of the way. I was informed by a buddies older brother, who taught us these skills, that gators do not like the way we smell (or something like that) and will do anything to get away from said human. One exception: should you step in a Mother’s den, usually near the side with her children. All bets are off in that situation.

I have watched numerous times at UF, Gatorman, a Vietnam Vet, riding on the back of gators at Lake Alice. (Curtis Reeves/ Gatorman). He moved to California! Fear of gators is like that of snakes. They really have no interest in us humans unless we encroach on them.

Thanks and very informative!

But, in the case of a large gator, I'll still be careful. Even if it won't eat you, it would seem that getting bitten would ruin your day. Pit bulls, for example, don't genrally eat you either, but getting bitten is most inconvenient.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bubba said:

I wonder if Florida crocs, given time and protection, might not reach the size of their Ozzian cousins?

• Like 1

The type of crocodiles you have are American Crocodiles, they're a different species to our saltwater crocodiles and grow to a different size. We have two types, saltwater or estuarine crocodiles, commonly called salties and freshwater crocodiles or freshies. Freshies are endemic to Australia and salties are found in Australia,  New Guinea, Indonesia etc... Salties tend to be larger in Oz because they've been protected for a long time from crocodile shooters, since 1969 in W.A., 1972 in the NT and 1974 in QLD.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The crocodiles in Florida are primarily in the Keys and are definitely salt water. At this time, they have expanded broadly and have been seen in the ocean as far north as Daytona Beach. I certainly hope that they do not grow to the unbelievable proportions captured in your shots!

Dave-O,

My barefoot days of hunting golf balls in ponds with large gators have been and gone! Your analogy regarding Pit Bulls is agreed to fully.

My only point is that gators and all other wildlife should be accepted with less fear. That stated, at this point, there is no reason to take stupid chances!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bubba said:

Dave-O,

My barefoot days of hunting golf balls in ponds with large gators have been and gone! Your analogy regarding Pit Bulls is agreed to fully.

My only point is that gators and all other wildlife should be accepted with less fear. That stated, at this point, there is no reason to take stupid chances!

We can certainly agree.

Gators are sometimes found in waterways out here, after people dump them. (As a side note, I wonder how they manage to accept that solitary existence? Imagine being the only cave person in a vast complex of caves full of everything else? I hear tell that gators are horny devils, presumably one of their big secrets to survival.) 

And, we have our own "fun" with mountain lions. Yeah, they're cool, yeah, they're awesome and they sometimes really do try to eat people, especially children. I remember back in 1985 a little girl got attacked by one in the mountains in Orange County in a park there, and her dad managed to save her, but only after she'd been mauled very badly. (She was six at the time.) Her family sued, won (hooray for the lawyers, for once) but it was a cautionary tale.

EDIT it was in 1986 and the girl remains blind in one eye and partially paralyzed, she got a $2 million verdict.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bubba said:

The crocodiles in Florida are primarily in the Keys and are definitely salt water. At this time, they have expanded broadly and have been seen in the ocean as far north as Daytona Beach. I certainly hope that they do not grow to the unbelievable proportions captured in your shots!

Yes they will travel in saltwater but the American croc is a different animal to our salty.

Screenshot_20200312-121115_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200312-121151_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200312-121302_Drive.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bubba said:

Dave-O,

12 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

We can certainly agree.

Gators are sometimes found in waterways out here, after people dump them. (As a side note, I wonder how they manage to accept that solitary existence? Imagine being the only cave person in a vast complex of caves full of everything else? I hear tell that gators are horny devils, presumably one of their big secrets to survival.) 

And, we have our own "fun" with mountain lions. Yeah, they're cool, yeah, they're awesome and they sometimes really do try to eat people, especially children. I remember back in 1985 a little girl got attacked by one in the mountains in Orange County in a park there, and her dad managed to save her, but only after she'd been mauled very badly. (She was six at the time.) Her family sued, won (hooray for the lawyers, for once) but it was a cautionary tale.

EDIT it was in 1986 and the girl remains blind in one eye and partially paralyzed, she got a $2 million verdict.

1 minute ago, sandgroper said:

Yes they will travel in saltwater but the American croc is a different animal to our salty.

All 3 of you bring up good points..  While the American Croc can attain good size, if i remember right they aren't nearly as aggressive as the Salties in Australia. believe it and the Nile Crocodile can be quite temperamental.. And yes, like @bubba had mentioned, the native Croc is attempting a comeback along parts of Florida. Don't doubt if climatic conditions lean in it's favor, you'll likely see these a bit more there. Interestingly, this species also ranges to just south of San Carlos and Guaymas in Sonora.. not terribly far south of Arizona. Very possible some wander north in coming decades if their preferred habitat shifts north also. Heck, lol.. there are records of it ranging north into CA. in some of the fossil records, at least from what i have read.. if i read correctly.

Its interesting that when i moved to Florida, the first time, the only gator i encountered was in a retention pond behind a car dealership i helped maintain.. It would scramble for the water if you got within say 10ft of the fence the pond was behind..  When i lived in Bradenton, as far as i know, none of the ponds in my neighborhood had gators.. I'd really hoped to see some, though having my dog, i wasn't about to head somewhere with him in tow where i thought i might encounter any.  Wasn't until i made one last trip to Homestead i got to see some bigger boys up close.. safely in a pond behind a fence at a viewing area i'd stopped at along the 41. Anyway, while there were several in the pond there, not one of them seemed all that interested in the humans observing them.. and you could get closer to them then i had before. They just sat where they were hanging out along the bank soaking up what sun was out that day.. Got some great pictures, but never felt any sort of threat.. Could be it was cold enough that they weren't all that active but like Bubba said, keep your distance  don't be an idiot and feed them, and they're usually not much to worry about.. with the exception of wandering males looking for a mate.. They really are impressive creatures..

On the other hand, like @DoomsDave mentions, there are wild things around that do present reason to be at least watchful..  I am personally more weary of Mountain Lions then i think i'd ever be of an Alligator.. There's more to the story but growing up where i did in San Jose, i also grew up hearing un-countable stories about the local Mountain Lion in the near by Santa Cruz Mountains.. and, as what happens all over CA. occasionally an adventurous cat would wander down into some of the surrounding neighborhoods.. my old neighborhood included.. The town of  Los Gatos literally translates to " town of the Cat" and they sometimes wander into town..

Again, there's a lot more to the story but there was one spot i'd frequently hike to on the weekends or after school when i was in High School when i really dove into the whole plant thing.. While i knew the dangers, i never really felt threatened while walking an old mining road alone taking notes of what was growing here or there, or collecting Quartz crystals that came from an old  Quicksilver mine shaft nearby..  There were times it felt like i wasn't alone, especially if out there in the late afternoon at certain times of the year. After awhile, i carried a fishing knife with me, just in case..

That changed one afternoon while collecting seed of an uncommon spring annual that grew on a steep slope above the road.. Not sure what it was, couldn't see it..  but after being up there for a time, i'd hear something moving through the woods behind me.. I'd move, or toss rocks in that direction, silence for a minute or two.. then more shuffling sounds that seemed to get closer when i'd resume gathering seed.. At some point, as whatever it was seemed to be getting too close for comfort, the fight or flight instinct kicked in and i quickly made my way across a very dangerous cliff face to a more open side of the hill where i could see anything that might be following.. Needless to say, the cliff was roughly 100ft or so above the road and was composed of an extremely unstable type of rock. I passed a spot where a some kid who had gotten lost out there was found after being bit by a Rattlesnake.. He lived  but finding a ball cap in the spot where he was found, that isn't easy to access was kind of creepy..  Not long after that, i came across Mountain Lion tracks on another area of the property..  I'll bet my fishing knife is out there somewhere also.

As crazy as that experience was, i have the most respect for Mountain Lions. They too typically will avoid humans unless something is wrong. Not to say there aren't especially aggressive individuals that can cause trouble but, for the most part.. they just want to be left alone.. Not entirely their fault pets or small children fit into their idea of what a prey looks like..  It is unfortunate when such encounters have a sad outcome.. Not long ago, wildlife officials down in Tucson had to shoot 3 Cats that had ..ahem, made a meal out of someone who met their end on a popular hiking trail there.. Cats didn't do anything.. someone else did apparently.. but.. A sad outcome regardless. Even i understand what had to be done even if quite unfortunate..  With our " habitat " moving into more of their habitat these days, there are going to be potential conflicts.. Bobcat and Coyote both turn up in neighborhoods quite often here.. often without conflict.

The only other critters i keep an eye for when out in the wild are Wild Boar and Peccary, which look like..but aren't related to Pigs.. Both will charge without provocation and can inflict a lot of damage.

At the end of the day, " it's a wild world out there " .. be aware, but remember, everything out there is supposed to be there, and can teach us a lot when respected.. Sometimes from a safe distance.. I can only hope the day might come when gifted the opportunity of seeing wild Ocelots or ..a Jaguar.. out there where wild things roam.. 

• Like 2

We have plenty of the human kind of crocs in California already.

Hadda' say dat', devil done git into me . . . :evil:

• Like 1