IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Ultimate Palm Adventure

Hilo Jason

That was an epic weekend of palms to the point of overload. Never thought that was possible. I had a lot if fun and it was awesome to see all those different gardens in person.

Thanks everyone for making it possible. Jason those pictures turned out great. I didn't take many pictures myself because I just used my smart phone.

Gregg's garden was the first place I toured when I joined the PSSC and since then I have been hooked.

Thanks for posting this fantastic tour. It took me off & on all day to look at all the photos. Those CA boulders & palms make for some very beautiful gardens. Love that C. gigas (obtusa).

Great stuff, I miss being on a group PRA, so much fun. I'm sure there's more, hint hint..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

wow,great tour! you definitely hit some of the best palm spots in southern california.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Wowzers! If I'd known how in-depth and jaw dropping this post was I would've paid $$$ to read it. Thanks jason, well done!

hyper-ven-tillate!

hyper-ven-tillate!

pant pant pant pant pant

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Fantastic Jason! I can remember the first time I went to each of those places.. GREAT PRA!

Also, THAT palm in the first pic of post #6 is a K. piersoniorum... just starting to show why I love them and their color!

And... :drool: your pic of the Jubeaopsis caffra at the Catamaran may be the best I've ever seen to capture the size and essence of that beauty.. I believe it is well over 70 years old. (not in that same location)

Bill - Thanks for the input on that Kentiopsis. Definitely a great looking palm!

Yes, that Jubeaopsis Caffra is monstrous! I had no idea it was that old, but I guess it makes sense with how large it is. Seeing that a few years ago is what made me decide not to plant one in my yard as I just don't have the space for it.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. It was a great day and I'm glad I finally get to share it here with everyone.

Woooowwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic places and palms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Woooowwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic places and palms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

That was an amazing PRA! I wish I could have seen those in person. The pics are breath taking so in person... speechless. Thanks for sharing.

Merci! :drool:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Fantastic photos! Jason, I can't thank you enough for planning and arranging the tour of these 3 private gardens on that beautiful Sunday! Also, Master Palm gardeners Gary Levine, Jim Wright and Gregg Hamann for generously guiding us through their gardens. Also from Saturday; Thank you Ralph Velez and Larry Black for hosting the May 2012 PSSC meeting. What a weekend! I have some more photos that I will post soon. Perito

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

That was really cool Jason. Thanks for doing that. Gary I need a return visit everything looks amazing.

San Marcos CA

Here are a few photos from Ralph Velez's. First 2 of Zombia antillarium. I think this starts in his Greenhouse and emerges right through the roof. 3rd Photo is a Cocothrinax trunk, not sure what species.

post-1839-006854600 1339478203_thumb.jpgpost-1839-074158600 1339478219_thumb.jpgpost-1839-008706400 1339478246_thumb.jpg

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

Jason,

Thanks so much for all your great photos. Amazing! What I think I came away with the most was, how different the gardens there compare to the gardens/landscapes here in south Florida. Here, it's more of a lush, greener look due to more rain and humidity and of course our dull, boring flat grounds. Where as there, you have nice slopes and hills and the large boulders. Really unique. I enjoyed the tour, it was great to see some of the interesting palm species that thrive out there.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the tour of some fabulous gardens. What an overload. :drool: It's Nice to see some elevation & in Florida some of those boulders are probably worth more than the palms!

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Like I said I didn't get many shots but this last one is interesting. Its not a palm but it was the end of the day. There was an eclipse and we got to see it with welding glasses. I managed to get a photo of it so here it is.

061012140642.jpg

Tons of great pics on this thread, Gary levine, what is the Dypsis at the bottom of post 6?.. its a beauty , you have many very choice palms... Thanks for all the brilliant pics Jason, Chris Mike and Perry, very, very enjoyable..Pete :)

Tons of great pics on this thread, Gary levine, what is the Dypsis at the bottom of post 6?.. its a beauty , you have many very choice palms... Thanks for all the brilliant pics Jason, Chris Mike and Perry, very, very enjoyable..Pete :)

It is Dypsis oropedionis Pete.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

This is Gary's Jubaea grove. I'm not sure how many didn't fit into the frame.

post-1839-040394300 1339592736_thumb.jpg

I wonder what Gary will plant under the eventual Wine Palm canopy?

Another angle of Ravenea xerophila-

post-1839-079420600 1339593046_thumb.jpg

Another view of this crazy hybrid (Butiagrus?)-

post-1839-036861900 1339593366_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

Great Photos Jason! Its like re-living the tour all over again. love the"hi-res stills" :drool:

its was a real treat to get to so-cal palm tour and meet some cali palm dudes. even managed to bring some palms back with me! :D

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Some folks take vacations where they sit by a pool and read all day. That suits me just fine-for maybe an hour or so especially after dark. I much prefer to stay busy and see as much as I can. I can tell you agree and had a great time! So different from where I live and that makes it all the more interesting! Thanks!

Cindy Adair

Very impressive gardens. Would somebody come get me the next time you do a tour? :lol: I am jealous. Does anyone know the sabal species in post #32?

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC