IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus religiosa

palmmermaid

A friend offered to give me a nice start-up of the Ficus religiosa. I think it gets really large - up to 90'. Is it as dangerous to have as some of the other ficus species as far as invasive roots go? I don't want to turn this thing loose without knowing the implications. I can plant it pretty far from the house and septic tank but want to make sure it won't reach out and grab everything.

I like the leaves on this species with the long points. And I like free plants. I have read where you can bonsai this species - I won't be doing that.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

It does get big. I'm not sure if the roots are extremely aggressive like other banyan-type Ficus. I would imagine they are nearly so. One thing is that it does not produce aerial roots.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Roots are comparable to other large Ficus species. Plant well-away from buildings, concrete, and leach lines.

• Like 1

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Thanks for the responses. I will need to mull this over.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

• 11 months later...

In Sri Lanka, F. religiosa is called Bo-tree, and it is a very religious tree.

It's almost not allowed to plant one Bo-tree in your garden ( at least nobody does that!), or you have to admit that a temple will be built close to the tree!

F.religiosa is not an evergreen tree, he gets lovely new pinkish leaves

Here, in Badulla area...

post-6735-0-48723800-1368990582_thumb.jppost-6735-0-09554300-1368990625_thumb.jppost-6735-0-82391900-1368990657_thumb.jppost-6735-0-57691800-1368990703_thumb.jppost-6735-0-72997900-1368990754_thumb.jp

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

• 1 month later...

And it is rather hardy. There are a couple here in northern CA but on Temple grounds as far as I know. I planted one of them. The local Japanese tend to trim them to keep them in bounds. No frost damage since '89/90 when all froze and they got foliar damage.

Brian Bruning

• 6 years later...

Does anyone know what the growth rate is like on these? I've read they're fast, but I'm only aware of two in this area and both are fairly small.

Edited by RedRabbit

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

15 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Does anyone know what the growth rate is like on these? I've read they're fast, but I'm only aware of two in this area and both are fairly small.

There in Florida, I'd consider F. religiosa a pretty fast grower, especially if they get lots of water.    There's a couple planted outside a house not too far from me but those are trimmed regularly to keep small. Our summer heat/ general lack of water where theyre planted likely helps to limit how fast they grow also.   Like all Ficus, don't plant where roots can ( will ) wander.  The ultimate sewer line / sidewalk destroyer. No doubt the two located here will likely get pulled once they start breaking out of the concrete planters they're in currently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

There in Florida, I'd consider F. religiosa a pretty fast grower, especially if they get lots of water.    There's a couple planted outside a house not too far from me but those are trimmed regularly to keep small. Our summer heat/ general lack of water where theyre planted likely helps to limit how fast they grow also.   Like all Ficus, don't plant where roots can ( will ) wander.  The ultimate sewer line / sidewalk destroyer. No doubt the two located here will likely get pulled once they start breaking out of the concrete planters they're in currently. 

Thanks @Silas_Sancona!

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b