IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kidney Stone help!!!

Stevetoad

I have a kidney stone that has moved from my kidney to my bladder. This stupid thing is killing me and i cant get it out of me fast enough. do you guys have any ideas on how to get this thing out of me! i have a dr. appointment but they cant see me until the end of the week. i want it out faster!!! ive tried drinking massive amounts of water, drinking massive amounts of beer, buying palm trees (this helped a little) and rolling around on the ground like a little kid. what has worked for you guys in the past. ill try anything!!! :bemused:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I have had them, but when they got to my bladder, they stopped bothering me. I then passed them no trouble. Usually your urethra is larger than your ureters so unless it is very large it should not hurt or hurt less to pass. If it is stuck in your bladder it might be a positional thing. Try urinating while lying facing down. No kidding. Maybe use a reclining lawn chair with webbing? Be sure to catch your urine to see if it passed.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I have had them, but when they got to my bladder, they stopped bothering me. I then passed them no trouble. Usually your urethra is larger than your ureters so unless it is very large it should not hurt or hurt less to pass. If it is stuck in your bladder it might be a positional thing. Try urinating while lying facing down. No kidding. Maybe use a reclining lawn chair with webbing? Be sure to catch your urine to see if it passed.

thanks jerry ill give it a try. it hurts less than when it was making its way to my bladder but now i feel like i have to pee all the time and then ill get flashes of pain and start peeing blood. this is my first one so i dont know what is normal. ive been peeing into a cup to try and catch it but no luck yet... :(

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Try cranberry gel caps. You can get them at drug stores. Cranberry changes the acidity/alkaline balance of urine so stones dissolve. You can drink juice but it may take gallons - gel caps are concentrated. Since my husband had one a few years back he drinks lemonade daily (tip from WebMD) to prevent new ones. And shame on your DR for making you wait till the end of the week for medical help!

Hope you get better soon.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Sorry to hear this I have had the same thing more than once. DONT drink alchol at all. Cranberry juice mixed with water in massive amounts and after you do pass the stone you will get a urinary tract infection you can ad a table spoon of apple cider vinager to a a cup of water evry 4 hours to help clean out your system until you get to the doctor. Has to be apple cider vinegar no other vinergar types .There gonna say the need to figure out what kind of stone it is to help this not happen again. If you can try to piss through something like a cloth or filter to help the dr test the stone if you can get the stone it will help the dr. figure out the best way to prevent more stones. They will also x ray or ultra sound your kidneys to see if theres lots more or one time deal. The may give a strong antibiotic to keep you from getting a kidney infection.

Edited by macario

thanks for the tips guys. i will be trying all of them. ive been peeing into a cup to try and catch it. they told me i had one over a year ago when i had a CT scan. as far as an infections go. ive never had one. makes me wonder if maybe i passed the stone already and now i just have an infection? would i still be peeing blood? i dont have a fever or anything and it doesnt hurt when i pee only after im done sometimes and randomly(mostly when im sitting in a chair). i should add that the pain is slightly to the left if that matters at all...

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I have a kidney stone that has moved from my kidney to my bladder. This stupid thing is killing me and i cant get it out of me fast enough. do you guys have any ideas on how to get this thing out of me! i have a dr. appointment but they cant see me until the end of the week. i want it out faster!!! ive tried drinking massive amounts of water, drinking massive amounts of beer, buying palm trees (this helped a little) and rolling around on the ground like a little kid. what has worked for you guys in the past. ill try anything!!! :bemused:

Steve,

You can try all the little things and ...well...

But at the end of the day, when it hurts enough ( which sounds like your close ), you'll go to the ER.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Steve,

You can try all the little things and ...well...

But at the end of the day, when it hurts enough ( which sounds like your close ), you'll go to the ER.

the pain isnt constant. it will come on and last for and hour or so then go away. then a few hours later it doesnt want me to forget that its in there and gives me a stab for another hour. if it hurts nonstop for more than 2 hours i will be in the ER for sure.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I'll be right there.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'll be right there.

thank you Dr.Bradford

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Ow, I'll bet that smarts! :rage:

Had a professor in law school who got really bitchy in lecture one day, then disappeared.

On her return a few days later, she made a point of apologizing for what she called her "inappropriate comments and manner of making same." She said she had kidney stones, and it felt "like someone was stabbing me in my lower back, again and again, with an icepick." This "didn't do a whole lot of good for my professional demeanor that day. Sorry again."

We all clapped in appreciation.

Hope you feel better soon. So far, that's one curse I've managed to avoid.

Plant a palm, you'll feet better. :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sorry to hear this I have had the same thing more than once. DONT drink alchol at all. Cranberry juice mixed with water in massive amounts and after you do pass the stone you will get a urinary tract infection you can ad a table spoon of apple cider vinager to a a cup of water evry 4 hours to help clean out your system until you get to the doctor. Has to be apple cider vinegar no other vinergar types .There gonna say the need to figure out what kind of stone it is to help this not happen again. If you can try to piss through something like a cloth or filter to help the dr test the stone if you can get the stone it will help the dr. figure out the best way to prevent more stones. They will also x ray or ultra sound your kidneys to see if theres lots more or one time deal. The may give a strong antibiotic to keep you from getting a kidney infection.

Make sure it is organic apple cider vinegar - Braggs is a really good one. You can get it at Whole Foods and other big grocery chains.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I'm not a doctor but, take Dave's advice & plant a palm. :rolleyes: It always makes me feel better. Ah yes Palmtalk, yep, that's where I go for sound medical advice. :blink: (hope you feel better)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I'm not a doctor but, take Dave's advice & plant a palm. :rolleyes: It always makes me feel better. Ah yes Palmtalk, yep, that's where I go for sound medical advice. :blink: (hope you feel better)

i have to come to PT for medical advice. my doctor wont see me, my freinds dont like me and i dont know anybody else...:lol:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

There's a procedure that will break the stones down to small bits by sound waves. I don't know if this will ease the pain when the pass through.

You see, I had a tiny stone passed to through me a couple of years. DAMN! It was continuous pain for more than 3 hours. I was on all four and veeery close to crying. In the meantime, my wife was telling me what a baby I was. Later I found out that the pain was EQUIVELANT to a women giving birth (At least what some people say). Hehehe... I know what child birth pain feels like (Well, just use it as a bogus info when women say that we don't know child birth pain).

Anyway, to prevent future stones, drink lots of water and cranberry juice. I just never got around to drink any cranberry juice.

BTW, I saw one old dude with feet booties (mallard ducks) at the emergency one time limping in and crying with his wife by his side. It was a funny sight. Later when I went to the back, I asked the nurse what happen to him. She said he had kidney stones. He wasn't crying anymore because they gave him a shot of morphine.

Hmmm... I wasn't funny at at to have kidney stone even though it was a tiny one.

A fellow I know spent 4 days in the hospital with a kidney stone before doctors decided to do the sonic surgery to break it up. Why they let the poor man suffer 4 days I don't know. He said nothing cut the pain until they injected him with dilaudid (usually used for severe cancer pain). Then he passed into La-La Land.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I had one about 6 years ago. Felt like being stabbed, got in the car to go to emergency room and the pain stopped. I peed for the emergency room people and my urine had blood in it. Once it left the ureter, no pain. Never did find it.

Those things hurt!

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Here's an electron micrograph of the surface of a kindney stone.

OUCH indeed, that can't feel good, with all those sharp edges.

736px-Surface_of_a_kidney_stone.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's one, 8mm across.

549px-Nefrolit.jpg

Here's another.

Hmm. Make a funky ring, wouldn't it?

kidney_stone_s1_crystal.jpg

I think I'm looking good now. Last night I was up til 2 am trying to pass this thing. After drinking a ton of water and soaking in a hot tub for an hour I couldn't hold in my pee any longer and went. I used an old drinking glass to try and catch it. What came out was some bloody vein looking things and what looked like salt. Nothing of any real size just a bunch of small grains. I'm thinking that maybe the stone wasn't very solid and broke apart. Today I had zero pain and everything was flowing normaly again. I really hope this was it and I am going to be sure to drink more water from now on. Thanks for all your help everyone! biggrin.gif

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Watch out for a urinary tract infection. Probably a little tissue damage from all that to-do.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

I've passed hundreds of stones and most of the time they're small and just go right on through. The larger ones are a different story, and have sent me to the ER numerous times, and I've undergone 3 lithotripsies, the procedure that breaks them up using sound waves.

If you have grain-of-sand size pieces come out, it probably broke up. Some of mine did that, and the larger pieces of those crumble when you handle them. I have two types of stones, and the second type are very hard and won't break up with handling. The bloody vein-looking things are probably blood clots from the stone tearing tissue in the tube between your kidney and bladder.

The fact that your pain will stop for an hour or two probably means the stone has an irregular shape that lets urine pass to the bladder when turned certain ways. If it was regular shaped, it won't let the urine pass to the bladder, and the stabbing pain won't stop until the stone makes it into the bladder.

Whatever you do, make sure you go to the doctor and get his advice and follow it. Just because the pain is gone, doesn't mean you are out of the woods, short or long-term.

Alan Brickey

I think I'm looking good now. Last night I was up til 2 am trying to pass this thing. After drinking a ton of water and soaking in a hot tub for an hour I couldn't hold in my pee any longer and went. I used an old drinking glass to try and catch it. What came out was some bloody vein looking things and what looked like salt. Nothing of any real size just a bunch of small grains. I'm thinking that maybe the stone wasn't very solid and broke apart. Today I had zero pain and everything was flowing normaly again. I really hope this was it and I am going to be sure to drink more water from now on. Thanks for all your help everyone! biggrin.gif

Good to hear bro, I was gonna suggest cutting it out but it looks like you went the chicken route.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Steve, glad you feel better!

My research tells me that what's really important is what the stones are made of, and different stones require different remedies, in the form of dietary alterations, etc.

See a doctor soon, preferably a urologist.

Stay well . . .

It looks like you guy were right and I developed an infection now. My doc said they will see me tomorrow so I'm hoping I'll get this solved. I planted a pritchardia remota today and feel better when I look at it. Maybe I need to plant some more palms.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

My research tells me that what's really important is what the stones are made of, and different stones require different remedies, in the form of dietary alterations, etc.

036 stones.jpg

Here is some of my stone collection from the last 10 years or so. There were lots more that were too tiny to bother keeping. I think there are about 20 different kinds of stones that people can have. Mine are mostly calcium oxalate.

post-232-068343300 1339084326_thumb.jpg

Alan Brickey

taste the explosion!

post-126-083767600 1339085990_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Holy crap! Some of those are big enough to use as feature rocks in your garden! Ouch!

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

If you take into account the medical costs, they're way more valuable than diamonds. They're also less common, I think.

I don't think you'll be able to see them in anybody's garden, they'd just vanish into the sand.

Alan Brickey

It's out! i went to the doc and they said i dont have and infection and that it could take a few weeks to come out. got back to work and BAM!!! im so happy this thing is out of my body.

9cf24778.jpg

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Go down to the hood and you could sell that thing for $5 on the streets.

post-126-009323700 1339111337_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It's a huge relief when they come out into the bladder, the pain pretty much instantly disappears from the kidney. There is still a bit of irritation in the bladder until they pass all the way through, and I've had a few that took weeks to get all the way out.

It's amazing how much pain something so small can cause.

Alan Brickey

1339113245' post=530679]

It's a huge relief when they come out into the bladder, the pain pretty much instantly disappears from the kidney. There is still a bit of irritation in the bladder until they pass all the way through, and I've had a few that took weeks to get all the way out.

I got lucky I guess. My kidneys only hurt for about 3 days. Once in my bladder it hurt like crazy too. When I saw that monkey come out today it was the biggest feeling of relief. I just hope I don't get another one for a while now. Any tips on how to keep them from forming?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I like how Matty timed his post... hahah

As to the stones, never had one thank you.. must be the massive amounts of liquid I drink daily... water, and soda.. not the best I know

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

avb said:

1339113245' post=530679]

I got lucky I guess. My kidneys only hurt for about 3 days. Once in my bladder it hurt like crazy too. When I saw that monkey come out today it was the biggest feeling of relief. I just hope I don't get another one for a while now. Any tips on how to keep them from forming?

The stone should be analyzed and then they can do a few other tests on your urine and blood and maybe find what's causing them. Hopefully you don't have a whole bunch of them like I do. They can give you some pills to change the chemistry of your urine to prevent more stones from forming or at least stop them from getting larger sometimes, depending on what caused them. Sometimes all you can do is drink more water, staying as hydrated as possible to help stop formation of more rocks. It's important to get all the follow-up work done so you can avoid more of these things in the future.

I woke up one morning in La Paz, Baja California, Mexico, 1000 miles form home, with a stone starting to hurt like hell. Luckily, it passed in about 15 minutes. I was laying there thinking about how I was going to get home while being essentially incapacitated by the stupid little rock, and the pain quit. You always have that nagging feeling that at any time you might have a stone, but there's no point in letting it stop you from doing anything you want, except maybe flying in the Space Shuttle. I went in for a physical to drive race cars in 1980, and the doctor asked what I'd do if I had a stone while driving. I told him I could just pull over and stop, and he thought for a second, and then went ahead and passed me. It was never a problem.

Alan Brickey

Wow! Avb, you've been through this many times. I was like a pussy cat with one itsie bitsie stone.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!