IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea chilensis

Jon T

Six-foot jubaeas:  Two nights fourteen degrees, 14 hours below freezing, numerous nights below 20, fifteen nights below 25...drumroll...NO DAMAGE.  OK, tiniest bronzing of distal leaflets, ONLY on oldest 2-3 fronds. Ten other jubaeas, from straps in planter to 8 feet, no protection, very light- to no apparent damage, almost two weeks since coldest weather.

• Like 1

Jon T-Central CA coastal valley foothills-9A

Forever seeking juania australis...

Strap leaf seedling, germinated last summer.  In 1g tall pot under shade cloth.  19 of the last 21 days below freezing, with at least two weeks of 12+ hours below freezing each day.  Frost was forming under the shade cloth.  Measured temps 3' away at 18" (same height as the pot) recorded a low of 15.8F and several days in the mid-teens.

No damage.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

I have 4 Jubaeas, all with woody trunks about 15' and one with 25' of woody trunk. Not touched at 23F and continueous freezing every night.  29 F. here this morning with a white frost and thin ice in a bucket.

They were not touched in the 1990 freeze at 14F.  This has to be the most cold hardy feather palm, even hardier than the Butias as some of my butias had slight damage on the lower fronds in the 1990 freeze.

Dick

• Like 1

Richard Douglas

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Three plants, 3' OA height

19f, many hours and nights below freezing

No damage

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

80 plants, 3" to 7" diameter

15 f, 13 hrs below freezing first night, thereafter too depressed to check my hi/lo. 5 nights into the hi teens/low twenties for sure, many hours below freezing.

Lost about 20 plants total. About half the remainder struggle.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 1 year later...

I planted my Jubaea in 1988, every winter we have some weeks under 0 C (32 F) but the lowest temperature was -10 C and snow, the palm was about 4 feet, some little damages to the older leaves

the palm is protected from the north by the house

now it's 31 y.o. and about 3 m tall, but no visible trunk still

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

I planted my Jubaea in 1988, every winter we have some weeks under 0 C (32 F) but the lowest temperature was -10 C and snow, the palm was about 4 feet, some little damages to the older leaves

the palm is protected from the north by the house

now it's 31 y.o. and about 3 m tall, but no visible trunk still

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

• 5 months later...

My Jubaea this start of winter got some damages to the leaves, we had a lot of snow first along 3-4 days with temps down to -7 -8 C (18 F) by night and 0 to -3 C (32-26 F) by day , after a week another big snow spell during 2-3 days and temps down to -2 C (28F).

The snow on the leaves for many days damaged them, I can see many little spot, the plant seems still strong..

bye

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

• 4 months later...

My Jubaea this start of winter got some damages to the leaves, we had a lot of snow first along 3-4 days with temps down to -7 -8 C (18 F) by night and 0 to -3 C (32-26 F) by day , after a week another big snow spell during 2-3 days and temps down to -2 C (28F).

The snow on the leaves for many days damaged them, I can see many little spot, the plant seems still strong..

bye

After snow and -10 ° C the spear has a bad color

4615390469_d8ef0a987f_o.jpg

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

i've got some small jubaea's planted outside in Germany. We had a very long winter at 2010/11

Minimum Temperature at my garden was -15C° (5F) with at least 3 weeks with permafrost not even one minute above 0C°. the Jubaea lost all leaves. But actually it has 3 new Leaves and will go on. I hope the next winter will be normal again.

Most Trachycarpus Fortunei had no damage or some leave damage.

best regards

Andy

To GBN,

I'm glad your Jubaeas survied all the cold. I'm curious if you offered any protectiong to them or were they burried in snow.

Thanks,

Dylan

• 3 years later...

Low of 15.4F recorded overnight on 1/8/2015 on the north side of an unheated building. No precipitation and minimal frost. This plant is exactly 1 year from germinating and already went through a 27, 25 and 24 degree night this year, no protection whatsoever.

post-6810-0-75074300-1420932977_thumb.jp

Edited by Dynodaddy
  • Upvote 2

• 5 years later...
On 1/10/2015 at 6:35 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Low of 15.4F recorded overnight on 1/8/2015 on the north side of an unheated building. No precipitation and minimal frost. This plant is exactly 1 year from germinating and already went through a 27, 25 and 24 degree night this year, no protection whatsoever.

post-6810-0-75074300-1420932977_thumb.jp

looks like its fine even in a pot wow

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson