IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Richard Douglas

PalmGuyWC

Hello all I'm back on palmtalk but not yet out of the hospital

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I've been in the hospital now for 2 months but I'm finally recovered and hope to b home next week

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Welcome back. I'm glad to hear you will be going home soon. I'm sure you miss your palms and they miss you like we have here on PT. Keep posting on your progress as everyone has been concerned about you. Wishing you a complete recovery.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Well, try to think of the positives. You probably got a pretty good check up while there to make sure everything else is working well. And your palms have still been growing this whole time, so they should look bigger and better. Welcome back.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Welcome back Dick

We all have missed you

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Yes, welcome back Dick.

You and Pete can convalesce together! :D A "cross-the-world" recovery! I like it! Get Well kind Sir.. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hello all I'm back on palmtalk but not yet out of the hospital

B)

post-1729-050052500 1338769519_thumb.png

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Great to hear the news! Have you ever been away from your garden this long before? Hope your re-entry to a normal life goes smoothly.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Dick,

Very glad to hear that you are making progress with your recovery and that you will be home soon! We've missed your participation here! :)

Bo-Göran

PS. I moved this thread to the Ohana Nui where I think it will get a bit more exposure. :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dick,

It's great to hear you'll be coming home soon. No more hospital food!!! Take care and do keep us informed.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Great to hear from you!

Getting a little worried . . . . :unsure:

Let us know when you get home and we'll all celebrate!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I visited Dick today. His condition is good now, and he anticipates a release from the convalescent facilty next week. Dick endured an 8 hour surgery that removed part of his stomach, re-attached his duodenum, and removed a cancerous tumor from his small intestine. He has an incision 17 inches long transverse across his abdomen.

He was in fine spirits with good color when we chatted. He has a very positive attitude and appreciates all the comments here. He even joked that now he will have to give up all his bad habits and adopt a more healthy lifestyle !:D

Thanks to all for their comments and positive thoughts, I'm sure in some small fashion they have helped.

San Francisco, California

Darold, thanks a lot for the positive update. :)

And Dick, sounds like a major ordeal, and I'm happy to hear you're making progress. A positive attitude helps a lot! And adopting a healthy lifestyle? :huh: Life is full of challenges! :lol: But after what you've been through that should be the easy part! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Welcome back Dick. You were missed here on PT. Hope you get home soon!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

17 inches incision! Sounds impressive! I am not tall enough to accommodate that.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Dick, all the very best to your now new life outside of hospital..may your life be forever healthy, happy, painless and rewarding. Pete. :)

I visited Dick today. His condition is good now, and he anticipates a release from the convalescent facilty next week. Dick endured an 8 hour surgery that removed part of his stomach, re-attached his duodenum, and removed a cancerous tumor from his small intestine. He has an incision 17 inches long transverse across his abdomen.

He was in fine spirits with good color when we chatted. He has a very positive attitude and appreciates all the comments here. He even joked that now he will have to give up all his bad habits and adopt a more healthy lifestyle !:D

Thanks to all for their comments and positive thoughts, I'm sure in some small fashion they have helped.

Wow. Glad to hear you are back in action after all that Dick.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Terrific to see you back online! There was a defeafening silence on the hospitalization thread while awaiting news after your surgery. Hope you are feeling better each day.

It sounds like you have had some serious recovery time there and glad you'll be released soon. I'm sure once you are back home in your beautiful garden, putting your feet up and and enjoying summer, you'll feel a world better too. It was great to see you post again.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

I hope your recovery is speedier than The English Patient

The-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World.jpg

I don't often post, but when I do,

it's always something profound or witty

I get by with a little help from my fronds

• 2 weeks later...

Our prayers are with you Dick.

Get better soon1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Great news that you're recovering. I agree with Dean! Get well soon and I'll see you soon!

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Hi Folks,

I just found this thread. Thanks for your comments. I attached a response on the fertilizer thread. Maybe Dean can move it to here. My brain is not working properly at the moment, feel kind of light headed...........and no vodka either. Dr says no booze ever again or cigaretts.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I hope your recovery is speedier than The English Patient

The-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World.jpg

I don't often post, but when I do,

it's always something profound or witty

Certainly babbly

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

No booze again ever, that stinks! Hope you get better each day.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Hi Palm lovers,

It took a lot longer than I anticipated, but here it is July 3rd and I was released from the nursing home today. Now it will take an adjustment to returning home. I'm still weak and light headed when I walk around, but seems like two steps forward and a step backwards the next day. I'm feeling 50/50 on my return to home today. The advanced care nursing home where I stayed for a month was great and I really did need to be there as much as I wanted to return home.

I have 4 hybrid Cocoid palms I'd like to highlight, but need some one with a good camera and how to post pictures. My Butia X Parajubaea cocoides has a trunk over 3 feet in diamature and about 5 feet of trunk and It's blooming profusely. It has set over 40 seeds crossed with Jubaea. I hope they hang on

Movre to come on the other hybrids that are begining to make a show. With the warm weather they are really begining to grow.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Hi Palm lovers,

It took a lot longer than I anticipated, but here it is July 3rd and I was released from the nursing home today. Now it will take an adjustment to returning home. I'm still weak and light headed when I walk around, but seems like two steps forward and a step backwards the next day. I'm feeling 50/50 on my return to home today. The advanced care nursing home where I stayed for a month was great and I really did need to be there as much as I wanted to return home.

I have 4 hybrid Cocoid palms I'd like to highlight, but need some one with a good camera and how to post pictures. My Butia X Parajubaea cocoides has a trunk over 3 feet in diamature and about 5 feet of trunk and It's blooming profusely. It has set over 40 seeds crossed with Jubaea. I hope they hang on

Movre to come on the other hybrids that are begining to make a show. With the warm weather they are really begining to grow.

Dick

Dick,

I'll be glad to take the photos and post them for you......let me know a good day and time!

Be well,

John

John Case

Brentwood CA

That's great news that you're home, Dick ! :greenthumb:

San Francisco, California

Excellent news!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Good to hear from you Dick. Glad youre home to see this summers growth.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Good to see you back again!

Hi Palm lovers,

Dick

Dick,

I'll be glad to take the photos and post them for you......let me know a good day and time!

Be well,

John

Hi John,

I'll take you up on your offer. I expect I will be stronger in a couple of weeks from now. The only exercise I'm getting now is walking and I just had a garden walk. I'm still dizzy at times and feel light headed, hard to describe.

One might say I missed most of spring. My iris were just starting to bloom and I missed seeing those. I told my neighbor across the street to take all the iris she wanted to make arrangements and she did and got some pics of them. What would we do without camara phones?

Two months away and the palms appeared to have grown a lot. My Parajubaea TVT is getting big and I just counted about 18 fronds on it. The trunk is larger than my leg and the fronds are about 10 or 12 freet long. Looks like it could bloom in a year or two. My garden helper did a good job while I was away. Everything was watered well and some palms were over prunned but they will grow back. He really butchered some of my Rhapis and a Rhapidophyllum. Oh well.

Thanks again for all your well wishes. They really perk me up.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Hi Palm lovers,

Dick

Dick,

Be well,

John

Hi John,

I'll take you up on your offer. I expect I will be stronger in a couple of weeks from now. The only exercise I'm getting now is walking and I just had a garden walk. I'm still dizzy at times and feel light headed, hard to describe.

One might say I missed most of spring. My iris were just starting to bloom and I missed seeing those. I told my neighbor across the street to take all the iris she wanted to make arrangements and she did and got some pics of them. What would we do without camara phones?

Two months away and the palms appeared to have grown a lot. My Parajubaea TVT is getting big and I just counted about 18 fronds on it. The trunk is larger than my leg and the fronds are about 10 or 12 freet long. Looks like it could bloom in a year or two. My garden helper did a good job while I was away. Everything was watered well and some palms were over prunned but they will grow back. He really butchered some of my Rhapis and a Rhapidophyllum. Oh well.

Dick

Good to see you perked up!

Hi Palm lovers,

Dick

Dick,

Be well,

John

Hi John,

Dick

At your convenience of course. I am looking forward to seeing you. I might even drag Diana along to take notes with each photo!

See you soon!

John

John Case

Brentwood CA

John.. check your camera. I found out mine has a setting to audio record like 8 secs after each photo. Saves note taking! (I guess, have yet to go to a tour knowing that though).. :)

Bill, my camera, which takes good photos, has no advaned features like that. If it did, I'd make a movie! :yay:

John Case

Brentwood CA

DeezPalms gave me this camera several years ago with no manual. I recently went on line to look for one and found an old review.. The REVIEW told me all of what it could do! haha

Camera is probably 6-7 years old now.

I have my iPad and supposedly it takes great pictures and videos

Off to the doctor yet again

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

• 2 weeks later...

The final verdict is in,,,,,,,,,,,and I have dueodental cancer which has spread. The Dr said I have about 6 months without chemo and who knows if I take the chemo route, could be years, I go in today to have a "pourt" installed in my sholder for easly access for the chemo treatments. It's going to be a rough road ahead for me. I start the chemo treatments next week.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick,

Very sorry indeed to hear that. I hope the chemo works out without too many side-effects. Keep us posted please. And the best wishes,

Bo-Göran