IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter outlook for Australia

Tyrone

Weather here in Port has been cold and wet for most of June, one day I think it got to 21C but more often than not its in the high to mid teens. Some nights have been down in the low single digits but with all the rain and heavy clouds nights have been reasonably mild. July hasent been much better, last week I dont think I seen the sun at all. Atleast over the last couple of days the sun has made an appearance briefly in between the clouds and rain, and the wind is damn cold.

Coconut still alive not much growth in the last 2 years , it will need a hot dry summer if it has any chance of ever looking good again, that is of course it makes it through this winter. This is the first year I havent covered any of my palms most notably the Licuala grandis and Pritchardia pacifica, the two that are most affected from our cold winters, so far so good with only small amounts of spotting on the grandis, this one must be atleast 15 years old, so it would be a shame to loose it. The Pritchardia is only a few years old and I expect it to die, but so far no signs of cold damage.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Driest July ever on record over here. I think we've had 27mm of rain and should have had close to 150-180mm. Big trouble.

Blue skies almost every day now. Temps have got as high as 24C, but yesterday even with not a cloud in the sky it struggled to reach 15C!!! Last night dropped into the below zero zone at the airport with a minus 0.7C. Perth itself went down to 0.4C. I had ice on my ute on the lawn, but no ice on the lawn except for out near the kerb. I reckon the air hit 0C out near the kerb, but thankfully I have a canopy, and there wasn't even any dew within 6ft of the canopy. So the garden sort of takes care of itself.

Believe it or not the coconut is still growing. Poor thing.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We have had one of the wettest July's on record here, normally is very dry...............I think we are in for an early spring too as some of my beehive gingers are already starting to flower and my Torch Gingers are putting on new growth. My Sealing Wax palm has been holding it's new spear closed throughout winter and now it is starting to open up.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

We are past the halfway mark of winter and I agree with Andrew, there's something in the air, the days of sunshine are increasing naturally. My Mulberry tree which I pruned many months ago to bare sticks of branches is coming on fast with new growth. Quite a few palms are opening new leaves. It has been filthy wet this winter here, looking forward to longer and sunnier days, I want a break from rain.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We've had the driest July since 1876 and the longest run of nights below 5C since 1998. Nothing is looking like changing here yet. Mulberries and the like don't reshoot until September normally. Would do anything to end these single digit sub 5C nights. A week of double digits and some rain would be great.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tha daily thunderstorms ( 1 happening right now) is like the thunderstorms that start mid spring, I think we are in for an early spring . :)

Tha daily thunderstorms ( 1 happening right now) is like the thunderstorms that start mid spring, I think we are in for an early spring . :)

Yeah we had one today too (no lightning or thunder)........this morning there we north east breezes coming in off the Coral Sea....then we got a build up and then it dumped down for a good 10 minutes.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Some reasonable weather still holding on a bit here. Noonamah had a minimum of 20.1 this morning. But the day maximum of 31.6 was a couple of degrees cooler than yesterday. Hope that's not signalling colder air moving in. On the east coast Cairns had a minimum of 16.1 and Cooktown 14.0. It's got to really start warming up soon, we're almost August.

Cold nights, lovely sunny days.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Just spent the weekend and a couple of extra days up at Kalbarri. Coolish double digits at night, and 26, 27C during the day with blue skies. Just wonderful weather. Came back into a cold front for almost the entire 600km. Rained heavy at times with water all over the road at about 29S. Back to thunderstorms and small hail here today and days in the teens. At least the nights are now high single digits and not low single digits and with the days slowly lengthening I think we have now past the rock bottom of winter and are going to slowly climb up in temps. It should only get better from here. I'm being positive while I long for the weather further north in the 20's. :(

Cold but sunny and dry or should I say drying, temperature reached 17C in the garden out of the wind. Still no spotting on the Pacifica and grandis looking ok. I agree Tyrone I hate the cold weather.

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Has been around 5C each morning for previous 5 and between 16-17 in the day. So far nothing dead from the cool weather. As soon as this huge high goes there is hope for another front, a storm and some 25C temps before the next cold front which I hope doesnt last long :)

We made it down to our low for the year of 4 last night around 5am and down to 7 already by midnight tonight. I've just brought all the tender stuff in pots inside to try to cut my losses. Most disappointing loss this week: a one leaf seedling of Caryota ophiopellis. Its coldest night out was 5C and it has been inside for the past two days, but I guess that cold was enough. Surprisingly all of my Calyptrocalyx and Licuala seedlings which were next to it seem fine.

My weather station goes up tomorrow and I should be able to bring it online this weekend. Hopefully it will help me with figuring out when I need to panic :)

The tropics are still copping a pounding from the dry Antarctic surges. And it looks like there'll be another one some time mid next week. This winter should pack its bags and go, it's well and truely overstayed its welcome (if anyone was silly enough to welcome it to begin with). Temperatures across the north today, from minimums to maximums:

Cairns 12.2 to 26.4

Cooktown 12.2 to 26.8

Broome 7.4 to 30.8

Derby 8.6 to 31.8

Wyndham Airport 10.7 to 33.1

Darwin 17.3 to 31.2

Noonamah 12.4 to 33.8

Was 37 in my hothouse today whilst 16 outside :)

A week with 1's and 2's, then 0's and of course last night was -1. Everything still looks fine, the blessings of a good canopy. Even the Veitchia/Carpie only has a couple of spots on it this year. The days are warmer than usual for summer so it probably means spring is on the way.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

A couple of days ago I went outside to leave for work and there was definitely the smell of spring in the air...it was sunny warm and very un-winter like...two days later the tune has changed and we have had the coldest nights in two years. Two consecutive mornings of 4C and that is enough thanks!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

The rain has returned and so have nights in double digits at least for now. Days have been high teens too and with periods of sun and rain. Have been working planting up a tropical palm garden and the rain will start, so we run for cover then 5 mins later the sun comes out, you resume working and around 10mins later you're sweating and needing to remove your jumper (digging holes though). The last couple of evenings we haven't had the heater on all night. August for us is still winter, but without the sting of July. I've been trying to peer into my crystal ball to see what September will bring but it doesn't see that far ahead though. What it does say is that by the end of August we'll see a lot of double digit nights and rain. Then I'll have to go through my usual routine (which I totally missed last year) of repotting all my babies, starting with Rhopies and cold loving stuff first, then as the months progress ending with my marginal tropicals come November through Feb. I've gotta off load some stock, or invade the neighbours yard. :D

5 days now of below freezing nights. Some of the tropical non palms are looking a bit secondhand. Days are still warm about 23 on average. The park across the road is looking very frosted and dead but my place is still hanging in there. Thank heaven for a good canopy. Can't say I have done much in the garden for a while, although it needs a fair bit of work, I must confess.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Have had some nice rain. Rain has cleared and we're back into the mid to low single digits once again at night but the days are great. Sunny blue skies, light breezes and around 20-23C. Really beautiful during the day. I think we're turning a corner here now. Days are getting longer, things are springing into growth a bit. Every day closer to spring makes the chance of near zero temps more remote.

It's about 3 weeks to spring! :D

I hear you Tyronne. I'm definetly hanging out for some rain here. Everything is getting super dry. Bring on the spring rains and warmer days

Never thought I'd say this at this time, but yes, let's have some rain please

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ahhh, Spring rain. Although it's at the tail end of our wet season, warm weather, moist ground and air equals great growth, especially if we get good rains in November and into early December.

23C today and blue skies. Rain comes through on Sunday night for basically all next week.

Yesterday we got to 25C. Had a 14.4C min and now the rain is here again. On Friday and Saturday the flying ants were everywhere in the afternoon and they definitely signify a change in the season's imminent. About 2 weeks early too.

Very un-tropical low this mornin' BBBRRRRRR below 7 c !!

Breadfruit looks very ragged but your Lippy seems to be ok Wal .

Strategic blanket of weeds may have saved it .

Real brass monkey weather this is ...

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

7C, that far north. :( Kind of reminds me of a winter back in 07. Freezing 18C max at Mission Beach. Kind of weird going down to the beach with coconuts and bleak cold weather, then needing to put the heater on in our tropical wooden chalet.

7C, that far north. :( Kind of reminds me of a winter back in 07. Freezing 18C max at Mission Beach. Kind of weird going down to the beach with coconuts and bleak cold weather, then needing to put the heater on in our tropical wooden chalet.

I remember a few times having to wipe the green mould from my leather police jacket whilst I was working in Cairns.........got down to 6C on a couple of occasions.....has been cold here for a few mornings. This morning however was a bit warmer and my Lipstick is still trying to decide whether or not to open its new leaf.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Forecast is saying nothing below 20C from tomorrow until about Tuesday Wednesday with it topping out at 24C. I think winter is starting to slowly move over a bit into spring.

Spring weather for 3 days then back to winter, still no rain..crazy...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Warmest day in 3 months yesterday. Only 0.2mm for month so far-becoming quite dry and fire risk increasing.

24C on Sat, 21C yesterday and 22C today. Was up in Kings Park last night and it wasn't cold. It feels like spring already.

Rainfall situation is desperate now though.

I think we've seen the last of the chilly weather here...

Precis: Shower, possible storm. City: Min 16 Max 27

UV Alert from 9:20 am to 2:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 6 [High]

Saturday Fine, mostly sunny. Min 11 Max 24

Sunday Fine, mostly sunny. Min 9 Max 25

Monday Mostly fine, possible shower. Min 11 Max 23

Tuesday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 12 Max 24

Wednesday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 11 Max 25

Thursday Fine, mostly sunny. Min 12 Max 26

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I have a bad feeling we're back to the promised rain weather forecasts where no rain comes, geez I hope I'm wrong.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

29 degrees yesterday, back to 20 today. In mid-to late August there is always a few days of summer temperatures for some reason

We had a storm on Sat night after the outing. A huge 0.7mm eventuated !!!

Wow Kris, that will really help your place! :winkie:

We still haven't had any rain here since mid July, so everything is getting very crunchy.

Heard my first cicada on Thursday so that is a positive sign!

Apart from a strangely crisp night last night, it has been very mild here lately, and the forecast looks really good temperature-wise...we just need some rain now!

Daryl

Last night was our coldest "winter" morning with 3.4C, (even though its now Spring). I luckily wrapped up my two day planted Pigafetta as we had frost down the front. :(

I'm travelling at the moment (east coast of Qld). Looking at the weather at home isn't very encouraging. Day temps are around 37 but nights are still below normal, around 15. Relative humidity is the real worry with daytimes getting as low as 10% and nights around 90%. No rain since April and no likelihood for at least a month or more. Just hoping my automatic irrigation doesn't play up.

Winter is well and truly officially over, just need those morning temps to go up a few degrees and those regular storms to roll into S.E.Q!!

Good growing is just around the corner in these parts. Bring it on!!

Time to start the Spring / Summer thread I think?