IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pedro 65 in hospital

Bennz

As a handy man i spend alot of time on ladders. I am sorry to hear what happened to you Pete and i am happy that you are recovering fast.

I will remember this the next time i am up on a ladder and hope to see you back here soon!

Mark

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Aussie's play "football" (rugby) without helmets because they have the hardest heads known to man.:innocent: I think he deserves one palm for each staple. Glad to hear he is recovering to quickly. Keep us informed.

Leo

Speedy recovery Pete, that was not good news. Lots of good thoughts coming your way.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

As a handy man i spend alot of time on ladders. I am sorry to hear what happened to you Pete and i am happy that you are recovering fast.

I will remember this the next time i am up on a ladder and hope to see you back here soon!

Mark

I too will use Pete's accident as a reminder. I had a friend who almost died using a simple razor knife. He slipped while using it and cut his femoral artery in a client's backysrd - it was only his cell phone that got an ambulance there in time. I can not pick up a razor knife without thinking of my buddy Doug. So remember, it is not always the the obvious tool, like a chain saw, that can cause serious injury.

So Pete - perhaps your accident will save someone else serious injury.

Article - Ladder accidents injure over 200,000 annually - with safety tips.

When working around the house this summer, be aware that one of the most potentially hazardous tools has no electrical cord, gas engine, whirling blades, or multiple moving parts. Yet, it sends more than 222,000 people to emergency rooms each year--beware the ladder.

The number of emergency room visits from ladder-related injuries totals more than those for lawn mowers and home workshop saws combined."

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Its a good point made here to beware of ladders... I make a living off of being on them almost everyday.. Carrying 4 on my work van at a time..from 28' to 3'. What has given me pause is when I "push" the safety zone.. I have often worried what will happen as my equillibrium is not what it used to be.. will I be smart enough to catch it before I hurt myself or someone else?

Be careful everyone.

And Pete... Only a 1 step, stepstool till doctors OK... OK ?:unsure:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Its a good point made here to beware of ladders...

Yeah, ladders...! A couple years ago I was trying to collect seeds of a really tall Howea palm. It turned out taller than I thought. I had my 6m pole pruner, but couldn't reach the seeds with it even when standing on the top rung of a 3m ladder. Finally I got fed up with it and climbed the tree for the seeds using the LHI technique. Reposting a picture of me climbing a local (shorter) Howea palm about 10 years ago to show the technique;

up_tree.jpg

Only after grabbing the first handful did the realisation dawn that I was too high, suspended entirely by a bit of rope around my ankles, and with 4 dependant kids at home. I didn't get all the seeds :(

Pete, I'm looking forward to your complete recovery, and hoping maybe we can make a new date for a visit sometime?

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Don't know you Pete but I certainly wish you the very best. I will be praying for you and you family.

Hey!! Peter I see you have the same butterfly tattoo as Papillion I didn't know you where French laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Hello Bill, that tattoo looks very much like a Pappilion Butterrfly but its actually a Dragonfly, Pete will be be getting full sleeve and chest tattoos he hopes before we leave to Thailand, but he is still in a very sore state, so he may not be fully tattooed for a few months?.. Bill, Pete talks daily of you and talks often of wanting to head over to Hawaii to spend time with you and see you stunning gardens and wife,Bill, i also look fwd to travelling over with Pete and know you will drive us over to your great mates Jeff Marcus, floribunda gardens...Pete speaks so often of Jeff and so much looks fwd to seeing his incredible gardens. ..Cassandra

Bo, Pete also very much looks fwd to meeting you and Kim in person when we head to Hawaii..Bo, Thank you for re inspiring Pete with Palms a few years back with your incedible gardens you created, you really reinvigorated him back then..Cassandra

Dean, Pete is very lucky to be alive with the very nasty fall he had 2 weeks ago, he will certainly be spending as little time as possible on any ladder..Pete, has talked very often of your gardens and shown me many times your stunning Dictyocaryums, Pete and I look fwd to meeeting and seeing your beautiful gardens..Cassandra

Tim(realarch)we look fwd to meeting and seeing your beautiful gardens..Cassandra

Thank you again to every post to Pete from everyone....., Pete is still in hospital with a lot of pain and broken bones..Kenny benjamin..(Ben)...Pete has only tonight worked out who you are..(Greg smiths son), he says thanks hi and have the Greatest time in hawaii when you go..Cassandra

BenNZ, you are welcome to visit us any time, Pete will send you some himalayen cedar seed when they are ready in Nov..Cassandra

BSBill, Pete said he will let you know a few months before we head to Hawaii and would love to meet you over there..Casssandra.

Dr George, i just rang Pete and voiced your post, he says hi and longs to meet you and see you property in Hawaii when we visit...Cassandra

Still talking about palms ,Hawaii and Jeff Marcus -- Pete you are still palm crazy like us all ! - a good sign ! :lol:

Troy ( Tasmania )

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Cassandra you and Peter always welcome here anytime and there is always a guest bed room awaiting you.wink-1.gif

Cassandra thanks for the update!

Keep the good news coming . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Good guess Peter and Cassandra, I would not have expected you to know that but you got it in one.

He is not in the country but I will extend the best wishes of Greg and everyone at P4B!! We are sure.... you'll be right mate :)

Thanks for your wishes on my holiday, now rest up and take it easy!

Cheers

Caassandra,

Thanks so much for keeping us all up to date. This whole ordeal had to be equally hard on you and the kids. I will echo Bill A's invitation - if you can ever get away from the little ones, we could show you both a really good time here on the Big Island. My door to the guest quarters will always be open - so seriously give it some thought when things get back to normal.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Cassandra,

Thanks a lot for the update. Having something to look forward to can make a difference when we go through difficulties in life, so I hope an upcoming trip to Hawaii will have a positive effect on Pete´s recovery. We would all love to see you both! :)

Again, the very best wishes! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

So sorry to read about poor Pete's accident. Please give him all the best wishes from Peachy and the Poochie Boys.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Delighted to hear you are back at home, Pete!!! We all certainly missed you, but did appreciate all the posts from your wife with updates.

Cindy Adair

Delighted to hear you are back at home, Pete!!! We all certainly missed you, but did appreciate all the posts from your wife with updates.

Many thanks Cindy, i am forever grateful to my beautiful, giving wife Cassandra.... Cassandra is an incredible Wife, Mother, Personal Trainer, Gym instructor and Model. Heres a few pics of Cassandra and our youngest daughter up the back of our property and a recent pic of Cass.. Many Thanks to everyone who wished me all the best and thanked Cassandra for her input and posts..... To Bill Austin, Bo, Dean, George, Jeff M, and Tim ,we all look fwd to meeting you all in Hawaii this time next year. All the Best to everyone and I very much cant wait to when my painful breaks heal..Pete

post-0-016369800 1338523848_thumb.jpg

post-0-097844500 1338523881_thumb.jpg

post-0-076744200 1338523907_thumb.jpg

Pete.. VERY happy you are Home now! B) I see Cassandra is a card carrying Ranch Hand! :lol:

Love that you are already littering this site with new pics of the beauty all around you!

:rolleyes:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

good to hear you are on the mend and at home.... Now, you have to sit still ok... to recover... I know the temptation will be HUGE to do a bit of this and a bit of that, especially coming from a person who can't stay still... but we want you to be fully recovered!! The garden will be there when you are ready :winkie:

BTW, are you still doing your trip this year? :(

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hey pete

Great to hear that you are home . There is some reading material heading over your way soon !

Look forward to trading some more Nikau palms for Brom this spring ! :D

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Pete.. VERY happy you are Home now! B) I see Cassandra is a card carrying Ranch Hand! :lol:

Love that you are already littering this site with new pics of the beauty all around you!

:rolleyes:

Thanks Bill, this accident is forever lifechanging and i look fwd to a fit and healthy safe future. Pete

Ari, yes i hope my head and body is healthy enough to travel to Thailand, im sure i will be in great shape when we all leave....the property does well at looking after itself whenever im not here... Good enough reason to resend the 3 pics i posted before.. :) Ari, now after this severe accident which the helicopter pilot which flew me from Nimbin to Gold Coast Hospital was convinced i would live a few days at the most...This is lifechanging and i look fwd to a fit and healthy safe future ...... I was in Southport Hospital for 15 days..Pete :)

Troy, thanks and I look fwd to any future trading with you...Thought id resend these few pics to show a little of the back of the property and my forever loving, peaceful, giving wife that recently "saved my life"... Pete :)

post-0-003324400 1338549214_thumb.jpg

post-0-084661300 1338549242_thumb.jpg

post-0-091567800 1338549263_thumb.jpg

good to see you out of the hospital Pete! looks like an awesome part of the country you live in :)

Pete,

A very sincere welcome home. It sounds like you too, have an awesome wife, family and great group of friends around you. I can't imagine the feeling of finally getting to come home after 2 weeks in the hospital. Take care my friend.....

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Pete,

A very sincere welcome home. It sounds like you too, have an awesome wife, family and great group of friends around you. I can't imagine the feeling of finally getting to come home after 2 weeks in the hospital. Take care my friend.....

Jeff

I rember the feeling of comming back home after a nasty car accident, some 20 years ago. I remember that all the things were looking more colorful at home after two weeks with broken bones in hospital

I hope for a quick recovery, and that your pain will lessen faster at home with the love and care of your family!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Pete,

Jeff

Thanks very much Jeff, yes i think having such an awesome, loving, giving, caring wife and incredible giving,caring, loving children along with forever helping, caring friends its certainly very much helped keep me alive.I will be taking great care for a long time to heal well. Pete

Harry, Andrew and Alberto, Thanks all for the well wishes. cheers Pete

• Upvote 1

Pete,

I just saw this thread this thread for the first time, what a terrible accident. I'm very glad you're on your way to making a full recovery. You are very fortunate to have a wonderful wife and family. A few years ago I was in a serious bicycle accident and my wife never left the hospital the entire time I was there and took time off of work to help me when I came home. It's life changing incidents such as these that truly helps you to appreciate life for all it is and cherish those around you. I hope as everyone else here has expressed for a speedy and full recovery

Don

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

What a horrible feeling I felt when I read about the accident,even though we spoke very little and do not know you personally know you're a great person, do not know how I'm glad that the whole thing has gone from a big scare and that you are recovering satisfactorily.

All the best for you my friend !!!

• 4 weeks later...

Gee Pete, I hope your OK, I wondered where you had got to on the forum. Ah gosh. Best wishes Kris

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you Pete ???

you haven't been on here for ages ??? :(

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate