IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold without end

quaman58

Well, there was frost again on the grass this morning. Aside from last weeks record setting freeze, this winter started on the last day or two of November for me. Since that time, there have been perhaps 6 or 7 nights when ice did not develop on my vehicle, that is, when there was enough humidity to allow for it's formation. In prior yers I could count the nights that this occured on one hand. So much for the weatherman's outlook of low 40's nighttime temps for the week. It's quite the laboratory experiment on just what "cold hardy" means...

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Jeez, Hit 33F in back again!  I want warm nights again!!!!!! :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I forgot to "clear" my Min/Max on the digital thermometer, but it was 34F when I looked at it at 7am. Must have hit 32-33 here also. For lows, weather.com has it crawling into the high 30s as the week continues for 92057/Oceanside.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I have see at the end of this week ... when the tempeture's going to raise here again, californie places get again freeze tempeture's in the night ...  Do you know if i'm right ?

Robbin

Southwest

Robbin

The length of this event is remarkable since inland Imperial & San Joaquin were still issuing frost warnings this morning.  San Diego county got particularly hard hit & studied by climate experts.

I haven't heard how Balboa Pk/San Diego Zoo managed in the freeze.  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I went the zoo yesterday.  There was really no serious damage. At the upper levels there was almost no damage at all.  The green Bismarkias had a bit of burn but nothing serious.  Down in the canyons there were some spots of damage but it was oddy scattered and random.   There is an open grass field that had several fried bananas around it, some damaged King palms, and one dead Rhopalostylus.  They had already done a lot of trimming of dead leaves so it was a bit hard to tell what was new damage and what was just overpruning.  There was a fried and defoliated Schefflera sitting right next to two other with no damage.   The big Caryota gigas in the canyon looks fine.  The big Roystonia regia near the exit are fine.

I didn't get a chance to check out the Clinostigma's near the Sea Lion show, and also haven't gotten into Balboa Park yet.  

I think the climate at most of the zoo is similar to my house, where we were right on the edge of freezing.  Bananas have scattered, definitely noticeable burn but the leaves are all still holding upright.  Very slight burn on a few leaves of a Brugmansia.   Another 1 or 2 degrees and it probably would have gotten ugly.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Anyone have any report or picture of the Newport Beach Coconut yet? I'm interested in knowing how it's getting along. It's probably the most famous coconut on the planet.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I can't take this cold anymore... and if what we had isn't enough, it's really our turn now to get blasted with some serious cold on Thursday night.. My low is predicted to go down to 11f - that's just ridiculous....... Friday the daytime temps aren't supposed to get out of the LOW 20's......  not very happy :(

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

35F in back this morn. Tropical!

Tyrone, Palmazon posted a pic on sunday in some thread. (cocos?) Looks OK.

Bobby, we know your pain, hang in there.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This weather is just ridiculous... Did I tell you how I REALLY feel about Canada.. (thank god there are no canadians on here..:) )

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

HELP!!!!... Someone please save us from this!!!!.....

post-57-1169583007_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 23 2007,15:10)

HELP!!!!... Someone please save us from this!!!!.....

Uhmmmm.....Bobby, it's winter. In New York. You've actually had it pretty easy. It will be a good test for your palms. Is your solitaire planted in ground?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Uhmmmm.....Bobby, it's winter. In New York. You've actually had it pretty easy. It will be a good test for your palms. Is your solitaire planted in ground?

Yeah, John.... I know it's winter... but I guess we've been spoiled. We really haven't had any major cold blasts that didn't warm up the next day........

I have (3) palms in the ground - Phoenix Roebelleni,  Ptychosperma  Elegans, and a Chamaerops Humillus - but they're all protected by heated enclosures..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Let's hope you get spoiled again soon!!

How warm does it get in the enclosures. Toasty?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

the ones I have protecting the palms, I keep about 45-50 at night, and when the sun comes out, it warms up to about 75f..    The other enclosure that I have alot of stuff in pots growing like cocos, royals, bananas, oranges, lemons.. that one I keep around 65f at night and it warms up to about 82f during the day

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 23 2007,09:37)

Tyrone, Palmazon posted a pic on sunday in some thread. (cocos?) Looks OK.

That's great news.

Go Cocie Go!!!!!

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Bobby,

We need to be saved from Accuweather as much as winter itself.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Bobby,

We need to be saved from Accuweather as much as winter itself.

Ray

Ray,

Accuweather is killing me...  Weather.com's forecast is almost 10f higher for the next week after this cold blast comes and puts us on the north pole this weekend.. I just can't figure it out... how can they be THAT far off?  

I hope it's nice & toasty when I come to Tampa next week  :)  really looking forward to it.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Hi Bobby,

I have seen the cold predicted when i was surfing on the internet and i found the tempeture's for New york.... I was directly thinking Bobby don't go to like that :)

For here, we have also a cold period... from monday to fryday ... then the mild weather came back again ...! :D The daytempeture's are bove freezing level, thats good... Only in the night's it's freezing ...

Last night i have got -2,2C = 28,4F that night before last night the tempeture goes to -2,8C = 26,9F ...

This night don't be a very cold one, because we have fog and a lot of clouds ... then cames thursday and fryday night and then we got better tempeture's again ... I have still seen not anything of snow yet! It's so mild winter so far with 3 nights of frost so far ...!

Robbin

Southwest

Hi Bobby,

I have seen the cold predicted when i was surfing on the internet and i found the tempeture's for New york.... I was directly thinking Bobby don't go to like that

For here, we have also a cold period... from monday to fryday ... then the mild weather came back again ...!  The daytempeture's are bove freezing level, thats good... Only in the night's it's freezing ...

Last night i have got -2,2C = 28,4F that night before last night the tempeture goes to -2,8C = 26,9F ...

This night don't be a very cold one, because we have fog and a lot of clouds ... then cames thursday and fryday night and then we got better tempeture's again ... I have still seen not anything of snow yet! It's so mild winter so far with 3 nights of frost so far ...!

Robbin

Yeah, Robbin... we're forecasted to be VERY COLD starting tomorrow night - with temps dropping into the low teens (13 or 14) for a low, but it's supposed to be back up to "Normal" on Saturday....

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Hey Bobby,

Sorry to hear about the cold coming through up there.  You guys were keeping pace with Atlanta's temps earlier this month when neither of us were complaining about weather.  There were a few days where NY was warmer.  We're supposed to be around average for the forseeable forcast on weather.com.  Tomorrow night is predicted to get down to 26F and Sunday is predicted to go down to 27F.  Can't say I'm crazy about those temps, but it's not much below normal.  Our average low for this time of year is around 31F I think.  I've only had to scrape my windows a handfull of times this year, and the lowest temp so far in my yard was 20F.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Hey Bobby,

Sorry to hear about the cold coming through up there.  You guys were keeping pace with Atlanta's temps earlier this month when neither of us were complaining about weather.  There were a few days where NY was warmer.  We're supposed to be around average for the forseeable forcast on weather.com.  Tomorrow night is predicted to get down to 26F and Sunday is predicted to go down to 27F.  Can't say I'm crazy about those temps, but it's not much below normal.  Our average low for this time of year is around 31F I think.  I've only had to scrape my windows a handfull of times this year, and the lowest temp so far in my yard was 20F

Yeah, I know Steve.. we've both been really lucky.... I guess my time ran out....  :( We haven't had a drop of snow, and I haven't had to scrape a drop of ice off of my windshield yet - there's been no moisture at all...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I went to Home Depot today to buy 2 more 1500-watt utility heaters for this latest cold-snap. I have way to much invested now to let these palms perish :(

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS