IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The ole multiple-spears-won't-open problem

MattyB

We've seen pictures shared here of palms with multiple spears, but they just don't seem to want to open. We've speculated on what's going on and most of us though there's a gopher, rot, or some sort of root trauma going on. It's always hard to know exactly what's going on because it's down in the dirt and we're really just guessing.

Well with this one I know exactly what's going on. I had a gopher attack my Copernicia cerifera about a year ago. He ran his tunnel right under the trunk and out the other side. Unfortunately I did not install a wire cage on this palm when I planted it. I caught the gopher and packed mulch in the tunnel which was right under the palm, I mean no more than 2 inches under the center of the trunk. I could stick my whole arm in there and I'm surprised that the palm didn't topple over. It was wobbly for a while, but I kept it watered and it locked back in and it continued to grow spears. Now 1 year later those spears, which continue to grow, are reluctant to open. So now we know that root trauma definitely causes this spear problem and that it can be from root trauma that happened a long time ago.

post-126-014596500 1337186049_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here's a picture of my C. alba, which is planted nearby, showing normal spear action.

post-126-095036200 1337186500_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I like your theory, but spears failing to open has happened to palms I've had in pots, which havent been disturbed for quite a while. Expand your hypothesis?

Grant
Long Beach, CA

Matt, I still think to core reason behind the not opening is dehydration. Of course that can come from many things including loss of roots.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I agree Len. The palm is conserving water by not expanding those spears, exposing them to the elements, and thus loosing water through transpiration. So a potted palm, that "hasn't been disturbed in a while", might have outgrown it's pot and might not have a sufficient enough root system to combat our dry air, as may be the case with Grant's example. Or any sort of root loss might cause this.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I have a wodetyia that's doing the same thing, about 7 spears at last count.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Knowing your soil Dave, I suspect root rot. Woodyetias are notorious for doing that in heavier soils. They really seem to demand DG, or something free draining like Paul's silty riverbottom soil. He's got the best looking Foxtails!

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Knowing your soil Dave, I suspect root rot. Woodyetias are notorious for doing that in heavier soils. They really seem to demand DG, or something free draining like Paul's silty riverbottom soil. He's got the best looking Foxtails!

I thought so, too, except that I've got one that's pretty killer a few feet away. I think it's because the dirt washed away (top of a slope) leaving the roots less able to take up the necessary water. THe solution might be to take one of those half-circular tree rings and pack some dirt in there and water, and pray. Other ideas are appreciated, too.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Oh, yeah it may be drying out too much. As you know, I have to deal with the "slope of death" (or is it slope of doom?), and often times I have to stack a half circle of rocks on the downslope side, and then pile dirt on top of them, packing it in, making a dam to hold water in.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Well, no gopher damage here. Or dehydration either - with 8 inches during the last month, and constant high humidity. Plus this happens every year, and when they finally open, the palm looks nothing worse for the wear. Notice the palm in front now has 4 unopened spears.

post-11-086970000 1337197550_thumb.jpg

post-11-099526700 1337197557_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I had this issue with a couple of large potted palms. I was watering regularly but also using fine coffee grounds which had formed a pan. The water must have been running down the sides of the pot and out the bottom. A simple stir of the mix and all the spears (some 2 years old) opened.

Dean, you palms are interesting, especially since the spears appear to be at relatively the same height, indicating fully pushed leaves that just won't open. I don't know man. The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the weather cycle since you say it happens every year. But what weather patterns do you have over there that could cause this?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Dean, you palms are interesting, especially since the spears appear to be at relatively the same height, indicating fully pushed leaves that just won't open. I don't know man. The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the weather cycle since you say it happens every year. But what weather patterns do you have over there that could cause this?

Don't know Matty - but it probably has nothing to do with your situation. I was sort of alluding to the idea that a symptom (unopening spears in this case) doesn't necessarily have to have one, and only one, cause. Like leaning crown syndrome, I am of the opinion that there are multiple causes.

In my case, I think it has to have something to do with lack of heat when the growth cycle starts in spring. We have still not had a day over 75 here, with most days only with a high of 70-72. Any day now it will warm up, and I'm guessing the fronds will then open.

Kona, on The Big Island

Was this a recent large planting of yours Matty or one growing from way smaller ?

Hello all, up until last weekend I was concerned about a Bismarkia of mine simply adding on spears whilst none were opening. I bought this guy about a year ago as a large plant (for me) and it had one spear with a newbie creeping up at time of planting. So before the first finally began opening I had 5 spears loaded on her as at last Saturday. I was wondering what was going on, why don't these spears open for goodness sakes, when will the plant stop building more spears ? and was very pleased to see not only the oldest open last weekend but also this very morning seeing number two open up. I think it just took a long time to settle in. And the cold weather is upon us too, but with lots of full clear sunshine days so I wonder if that was a contributing factor. The full non stop sun of late I think had something to do with it imo.

Here is mine 4 days ago (13th May), the oldest spear finally opening.

post-51-008988600 1337213498_thumb.jpg

Here it is again with Pics taken about 15 minutes ago, 17th May, 2012, the year of the Bromeliad, Bismarkia and Bangkok.

post-51-068616300 1337212992_thumb.jpg

Holding the 2nd opener, we're away now, look out next door neighbour Bizzie, Burrawang Mana Bizzie is coming to get ya !!

post-51-058738700 1337213008_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Just curious Dean, do you know your average annual temperature?

cheers

Richard

Richard,

I am about 3-5 degrees cooler than my friend who is 800 ft. lower. Here is his historical data from his weather station.

post-430-086328000 1337241037_thumb.png

Kona, on The Big Island

Just curious Dean, do you know your average annual temperature?

cheers

Richard

Richard,

I am about 3-5 degrees cooler than my friend who is 800 ft. lower. Here is his historical data from his weather station.

Thanks Dean, very interesting. Much of the year we would have a similar climate to you but sadly the 3-4 months of winter brings our average down to 16c compared to your 19c. Amazing what difference 1c of average can make though.

Here in south Florida, we call 3 and 4 leaf spears emerging at once...a nice flush of growth. :D Just say...ing.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This happens to some of my palms and when it does, I mark the spears and just make sure that the palm is still growing. If spears are moving, then I leave the palm alone. If none of the spears move within a week, I begin fungus treatment.

• Like 1

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

I have a Foxtail & a Ptychosperma that occasionally sends out fused spears. It seems to occur after a cool event. These are not unopened, but fused, like they haven't fully developed. Some partially open, but the balance of the frond is fused. I've even gotten on a ladder & tried to open them to no avail. They eventually grow out.

post-1035-032988400 1337277572_thumb.jpg

post-1035-020069700 1337277614_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

• 1 year later...

Check for heat.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That's normal here for many spp.

Lots of rain and heat = palms in high gear. :yay:

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

• 3 years later...

I have a dypsis spp....Unsure why almost 3-4 spears wont open, I marked the trunk.   I will feed it  and treat it for fungus and with copper.... hopefully I wont lose it.  Is daconil a good fungicide? any help would be appreciated. 

• 4 years later...