IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The wonders of Hydrogen Peroxide

MattyB

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very helpful thread. I had to look far and wide for H2O2 here in Japan (it's not called Hydrogen Peroxide), and finally found a drug store that had some. Brand name is Oxydol, and this pic is the 3% stuff. Noone knows of anything stronger, nor in any kind of industrial sizes. Cost me about 5 bucks for 500ml. I used it immediately on my moldy seeds and it cleared everything up, then sprayed a little on a finger scratch from my over-zealous cat; enjoyed the fizz. Haven't yet gargled with it, MattyB, but soon.

post-7712-0-03706600-1372768637_thumb.jp

JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

You can buy peridrol and distilled water and produce H2O2 at whichever grade.

So that's what you're doing in your avatar!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

You can buy peridrol and distilled water and produce H2O2 at whichever grade.

So that's what you're doing in your avatar!

Even class B+ filters do not seem totally protective for peridrol :sick: .

Yes -- definitely some great information Pete -- thanks!

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

This reminder couldn't have come at a better time. I need to pour some onto a Christmas palm that needs some attention.

Good Luck with your palms everyone.

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

In my province i have H2O2 6%

can i use it pure with cotton bud

I think it is OK!

Thank you very much Phoenikakias :-D

I have been applying H2O2, and nothing else, on a dying Butia for nearly 6 months now. I am still staring down that big empty hole, but the die back has stopped and the palm seems to have stabilized, so there is hope for the famous hydrogen peroxide cure to yet do its magic.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

MATTY TURNED ME ON TO THIS A WHILE BACK AND IT SAVED MY COCOTHRINAX IT IS STILL LOOKING GOOD A YEAR LATER WITH NO ISSUES

I have a couple seeds pushing out their first leaves that have a white fuzzy mold growing on the seed itself. Will hydrogen peroxide be useful to kill the mold but still be safe for the palm seedling?

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

I have a couple seeds pushing out their first leaves that have a white fuzzy mold growing on the seed itself. Will hydrogen peroxide be useful to kill the mold but still be safe for the palm seedling?

should help in your situation

• 8 years later...

Have a Sabal Palm with what I believe is stem pull, or bud rot?  Mature palm from reputable nursery (this is sabal palm #8 they’ve planted in my yard over past 4-years and other 7 are in great shape).  This one was just planted June 1, 2021.  Came with one leaf/fan.  Palm seed stems emerged thru summer.  Lots of green.  Early July new stem began to emerge, then browned.  By August I climbed ladder to crown at 13’ and was able to pull new stem out easily (hence “stem pull” diagnosis) all the way to bottom.   The smell was bad too.  Like putrid cow manure I’d say.  Original single leaf/fan still green.  Old short spears at crown still green.  At first I noticed a lot of water pooled down in stem hole.   Same awful smell.   I got a syphon from my garage and pumped out the pooled water.   Then squirted it full of drug store brown bottle hydrogen peroxide.  Let it sit.  Pumped that out.  Let dry.  That was a few days ago.  Just climbed ladder again today.   Bone dry, no more bad smell.  Repeated HP fill in hole, waited a few minutes then pumped it out with syphon again.  At this point fingers crossed that a new stem emerges.  Anyone have any thoughts or predictions?

Have a Sabal Palm with what I believe is stem pull, or bud rot?  Mature palm from reputable nursery (this is sabal palm #8 they’ve planted in my yard over past 4-years and other 7 are in great shape).  This one was just planted June 1, 2021.  Came with one leaf/fan.  Palm seed stems emerged thru summer.  Lots of green.  Early July new stem began to emerge, then browned.  By August I climbed ladder to crown at 13’ and was able to pull new stem out easily (hence “stem pull” diagnosis) all the way to bottom.   The smell was bad too.  Like putrid cow manure I’d say.  Original single leaf/fan still green.  Old short spears at crown still green.  At first I noticed a lot of water pooled down in stem hole.   Same awful smell.   I got a syphon from my garage and pumped out the pooled water.   Then squirted it full of drug store brown bottle hydrogen peroxide.  Let it sit.  Pumped that out.  Let dry.  That was a few days ago.  Just climbed ladder again today.   Bone dry, no more bad smell.  Repeated HP fill in hole, waited a few minutes then pumped it out with syphon again.  At this point fingers crossed that a new stem emerges.  Anyone have any thoughts or predictions?

• 10 months later...

By the way, it’s a Pindo palm that got a fungal infection. I started pouring a pint of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the morning before it gets hot on the crown, but I wonder if there is a better time for me to do that.  Thanks in advance. 

excess hydrogen peroxide reacts with whatever carbon it is exposed to, including plant cell material.  ANd if you left your hand in the peroxide it will after tens of minutes turn your fingerprint white.  Generally in the hemp seed process we try to keep the peroxide to 4x dilution of the 3%, so 0.75%.  that is plenty to do the job just replenish rinse every other day with it.  For you chemistry buffs, H2O2+HC-> H2O +HCO(oxidized hydrocarbon).  In the case of fungi, it is the hydrocarbon of contact and it has a huge surface area/volume on the plant it gets hit hardest first.  After reaction, the residual H2O2 is still there till its used up eating up some more HC.   I never needed the concentrate, 10,30% these will burn you good if you dont rinse right away.   A splash of 30% could cost you an eye.  If you have some fungus the peroxide will clean that up, dissolve it, the excess peroxide will eat whatever HC that is left before it itself is consumed.  I think the 3% is OK for a bud treatment, but using it frequently is probably not a good idea, once a week for a few weeks after known infection is more than enough when combined with daconil after you let the peroxide react completely(a few hours is safe).  The reason to use daconil after peroxide is that it removes the need for repeated peroxide treatments which dissolve some tissue each time.  No reason to put peroxide on a healthy plant, spear pull is confirmation.  Plants have their own immune systems, and healthy ones would rarely get a fungal infection.  This is because of their immune system is working since fungal spores are all around.  The treatment of the infection in a sick plant should at some point under recovery if the goal is a healthy plant.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank