IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best pH for palms

DALION

I know that this is a loaded question because the answer is, "it depends." But, is there a rule of thumb as to what is an acceptable range? Does anyone even look at that or care about it? Am I now just causing undue stress and work?

My cycads have thrived in a mix that has been tested from 5.0 to 6.6 with no ill effects. But do the palms need something special?

Leo

My experience has been that the overwhelming majority of palms don't care much about PH as long as you avoid extremes.

That said, a few Cuban species and others adapted to extreme habitats might have different requirements. Of course, I'll always listen to evidence of PH being important . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

6.5 - 7. I just fould out that my tap water is 7.5 - 8ph. When you mix the fert in there it dropped it to 6.7. I have already seen an improvement on nutrient uptake. Things are greener, look healthier, seeming to grow faster than in previous years

Edited by Jastin

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Hey Jaston, What type of fertilizer are you using? Most that I use, raises my rainwater PH that I use in indoor palms, so when add fert, I use a chemical called PH down to counter this. Most palms seem to like soil/water PH around 6.5.

Jeff

6.5 - 7. I just fould out that my tap water is 7.5 - 8ph. When you mix the fert in there it dropped it to 6.7. I have already seen an improvement on nutrient uptake. Things are greener, look healthier, seeming to grow faster than in previous years

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

A pic just for you Jeff

e2778302.jpg

Hmmm, Never saw that type before, Thanks.

Jeff

A pic just for you Jeff

e2778302.jpg

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Dalion,

“Am I now just causing undue stress and work?” I say no! It’s obvious that you’re not afraid of a little hard work and if more people took the time to understand all of the conditions that makes a particular plant happy before they planted it, the plant and owner would all be happier. You’re already ahead of the game by binging in 40 cubic yards of great soil and setting up the drainage. You can now adjust the pH around individual palms or groupings according to there specific requirements. You’re not going to be able to get it perfect for every plant, but a step in the right direction and proper fertilization will pay off in spades. I’ve always gone by the motto of a $10.00 hole for a $1.00 plant. With the approach that you’re taking in your garden the results are going to be truly awesome! :greenthumb:

Edited by Tomw

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

Dalion,

“Am I now just causing undue stress and work?” I say no! It’s obvious that you’re not afraid of a little hard work and if more people took the time to understand all of the conditions that makes a particular plant happy before they planted it, the plant and owner would all be happier. You’re already ahead of the game by binging in 40 cubic yards of great soil and setting up the drainage. You can now adjust the pH around individual palms or groupings according to there specific requirements. You’re not going to be able to get it perfect for every plant, but a step in the right direction and proper fertilization will pay off in spades. I’ve always gone by the motto of a $10.00 hole for a $1.00 plant. With the approach that you’re taking in your garden the results are going to be truly awesome! :greenthumb:

Preach it brotha!

Dalion,

Thank you. I hope it does pay off in the long run since this project has been a marathon. I told my wife when I was buying the soil that I was not putting $1000 plant into $5 worth of dirt. It does take patience and endurance to get where I want my garden so keep looking for my garden updates.

Leo

At my old place, I brought in several yards of special palm mix garden soil. My palms and newly planted plants were very slow to get established. I speculated that there was a nitrogen deficiency due to the manufactured soil basically being sterile and a possible nitrogen drop due to non-composted organics being mixed in; I think soil manufacturers use shreaded wood from the lumber industry. Also, there was no microbial activity in this freshly constructed soil. So I fertilized a lot and added tons of worms and then finally after a year or two the soil came alive and the plants started to grow.

post-126-039230800 1337280826_thumb.jpg

post-126-088747900 1337280830_thumb.jpg

post-126-095603400 1337280835_thumb.jpg

post-126-043378100 1337280840_thumb.jpg

post-126-010704100 1337280845_thumb.jpg

post-126-004797800 1337280849_thumb.jpg

post-126-025400500 1337280860_thumb.jpg

post-126-014792700 1337280908_thumb.jpg

post-126-025817100 1337280913_thumb.jpg

post-126-049384500 1337280918_thumb.jpg

post-126-020207500 1337280927_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

At my old place, I brought in several yards of special palm mix garden soil. My palms and newly planted plants were very slow to get established. I speculated that there was a nitrogen deficiency due to the manufactured soil basically being sterile and a possible nitrogen drop due to non-composted organics being mixed in; I think soil manufacturers use shreaded wood from the lumber industry. Also, there was no microbial activity in this freshly constructed soil. So I fertilized a lot and added tons of worms and then finally after a year or two the soil came alive and the plants started to grow.

I know that nitrogen is going to be a problem so I am adding extra nitrogen to the soil.

Where did you find "tons of worms" to be able to add to the soil?

They are available at some local nurseries. City Farmers and Andersen's is where I've bought all of my worms. You can find them on sale on craig's list also. These are usually red worms, which require a thick compost/mulch layer to live in. Earthworms will live directly in the dirt and you can buy those at any bait/fishing store. If you're doing a gravely, non-mulched area for your cycads don't add the red worms there, just earthworms.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Read up on creating a worm bed. A small area of the garden for a compost area of kitchen/garden scraps, if managed correctly and seeded with some worms, will yield hundreds (if not thousands) of worms. Eight redworms become 1,500 redworms in six months!

Check this out WORMPOOP.COM

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

That's what we do now DeanO. We have a worm bin just outside the kitchen door where we throw all of our kitchen scraps. We'll periodically clean the bin all out and spread the finished worm castings, and most of the worms, around, and then let the whole bin start all over again.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That's what we do now DeanO. We have a worm bin just outside the kitchen door where we throw all of our kitchen scraps. We'll periodically clean the bin all out and spread the finished worm castings, and most of the worms, around, and then let the whole bin start all over again.

There may be nothing better for your soil than worm castings. And as you have mentioned before, worms in your soil is like having a little army of gardeners working hard at improving your soil 24/7. And if you mulch the whole garden regularly, then your whole garden becomes a worm bed.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I like the trolls better. At least I can have a conversation with them.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"