IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Noplantitis"

rprimbs

I've been in denial for a while now. My guy friends don't seem to see a problem, but my girl friends -- and my mom -- tell me that I should not buy any more palms until I get everything planted that I've already got...

I have good intentions and I make plans to plant things on the weekend, but when the weekend rolls around there are football games to watch, women to date, beer to drink, naps to take, and new cool palms to buy!!!

Rather than plant I often repot. Which doesn't really make sense since it takes me just as much time to repot as it does to plant in the ground... Of course you don't have to set up a watering system for plants in pots -- but they don't water themselves... :crying: Perhaps the disorder is partly connected to the lack of an automatic watering system? Or perhaps that's a separate disorder??

If I had to play "Shrink," I would say you have a problem with commitment. Have any of those women you are dating ever told you that? :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I have good intentions and I make plans to plant things on the weekend, but when the weekend rolls around there are football games to watch, women to date, beer to drink, naps to take, and new cool palms to buy!!!

Well i guess men in California are no different than us guys here in Florida! :D

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

The amount of pots in your container ranch is conversely related to the amount of woman you date. For example; married men don't have a container ranch. Seriously. Name one married man with a container ranch in these forums. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

If I had to play "Shrink," I would say you have a problem with commitment. Have any of those women you are dating ever told you that? :)

I just think I need to go and buy some more palms. B)

The amount of pots in your container ranch is conversely related to the amount of woman you date. For example; married men don't have a container ranch. Seriously. Name one married man with a container ranch in these forums. :)

Len, how many potted palms does it equate to having a container ranch ? Give me some numbers...20 ?, 20 - 40 ?, 50 plus ? :huh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal if you have more potted palms then planted, that is a container ranch.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

See - directly related to that "C" word. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I actually think Thats a brilliant observation..... ! :blink: ... hhhmmm

But... Do I plant my palms so I can get married, or do I get married so I will be able to plant my palms? :huh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I've been in denial for a while now. My guy friends don't seem to see a problem, but my girl friends -- and my mom -- tell me that I should not buy any more palms until I get everything planted that I've already got...

Richard,

A common strategy - don't fall for it. :lol: You need to buy MORE palms, and you probably also need different girl friends who can appreciate your compassion for other living things! Think of it as a way to gain freedom - for yourself and for the palms you buy. :)

And Bill - you're in dangerous territory now! :lol: What if you plant ALL your palms and you're still not married? That's taking a major risk. And if you get married you may not be able to plant ANY of your palms. If I were you I'd play it safe. And buy more palms instead! :lol:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wal if you have more potted palms then planted, that is a container ranch.

Gotcha.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Well I'm heading outside, beer in hand, ready to plant some palms!

Out of order Richard, you plant first, then drink the beer, well that's how I operate anyway.. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

:D very true Len,not only do we "commit" to One Beautiful Lady, we also "commit" to "planting our palms" :D

Richard,

A common strategy - don't fall for it. :lol: You need to buy MORE palms, and you probably also need different girl friends who can appreciate your compassion for other living things! Think of it as a way to gain freedom - for yourself and for the palms you buy. :)

And Bill - you're in dangerous territory now! :lol: What if you plant ALL your palms and you're still not married? That's taking a major risk. And if you get married you may not be able to plant ANY of your palms. If I were you I'd play it safe. And buy more palms instead! :lol:

Bo-Göran

We must keep our priorities straight!

"Highly desirable palm collectors seeks young beautiful woman. "You are slender like a palm tree, and your breasts are like its clusters of fruit." (Song of Solomon 7:7)"

Edited by rprimbs

The Ant and the Grasshopper, a Fable

Your story is an old one; it goes back to the fifth century B.C. Yeah, men never change... :rolleyes:

The fable concerns a grasshopper that has spent the warm months watching football, dating women, drinking beer, and taking naps, while the ant (or ants in some editions) planted their palm collections so they would become well-established before winter set in. When that season arrives, the grasshopper finds itself crying about his dying palms and upon asking the ant for advice is only rebuked for its idleness. Versions of the fable are found in the verse collections of Babrius (140) and Avianus (34), and in several prose collections including those attributed to Syntipas and Aphthonius of Antioch. In the fable's Greek original, as well as in its Latin and Romance translations, the grasshopper is in fact a cicada (drinker of absinthe while frequenting brothels). A variant fable, separately numbered 112 in the Perry Index,[2] features a dung beetle as the improvident insect which finds that the winter rains wash away the dung that fertilizes his palms.

The story is used to teach the virtues of hard work and the perils of improvidence. Some versions of the fable state a moral at the end, along the lines of "Idleness brings want", "To work today is to eat tomorrow", "Beware of winter before it comes". The point of view is supportive of the ant and is also that expressed in the Jewish Book of Proverbs, which mentions the ant twice. The first proverb admonishes, "Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, (notice the ant is female) which having no captain, overseer or ruler, plants her palms in the springtime, and worries not through winter" (6.6-9). Later, in a parallel saying of Agur, the insects figure among the 'four things that are little upon the earth but they are exceeding wise. The ants are a people not strong, yet their palms are glorious in the summer.' (30.24-5)

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Please don't tell my wife this. I have been married for 10 years and started my container ranch about 8 years ago. I now have about 40 palms in pots and about 60 cycads in pots. So if this theory is true I am either behind on dating or have been sleep dating.

Please don't tell my wife this. I have been married for 10 years and started my container ranch about 8 years ago. I now have about 40 palms in pots and about 60 cycads in pots. So if this theory is true I am either behind on dating or have been sleep dating.

Wow, 60 cycads! I'm impressed.

Len, I have a container ranch and am happily married. My father also has one and my mother is less than thrilled about it. I find it hard to believe the Streets are the only exception to your rule...

Richard, the right woman/women will love you for your container ranch, no matter how big or small it is ;)

Um... :blush: Many years married. Many palms in pots. (Of course, they probably wouldn't be in pots if I wasn't in USDA Z7.)

Judging by some of the other responses here, you might have to reassess that hypothesis. :D

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

The Ant and the Grasshopper, a Fable

Your story is an old one; it goes back to the fifth century B.C. Yeah, men never change... :rolleyes:

The fable concerns a grasshopper that has spent the warm months watching football, dating women, drinking beer, and taking naps, while the ant (or ants in some editions) planted their palm collections so they would become well-established before winter set in. When that season arrives, the grasshopper finds itself crying about his dying palms and upon asking the ant for advice is only rebuked for its idleness. Versions of the fable are found in the verse collections of Babrius (140) and Avianus (34), and in several prose collections including those attributed to Syntipas and Aphthonius of Antioch. In the fable's Greek original, as well as in its Latin and Romance translations, the grasshopper is in fact a cicada (drinker of absinthe while frequenting brothels). A variant fable, separately numbered 112 in the Perry Index,[2] features a dung beetle as the improvident insect which finds that the winter rains wash away the dung that fertilizes his palms.

The story is used to teach the virtues of hard work and the perils of improvidence. Some versions of the fable state a moral at the end, along the lines of "Idleness brings want", "To work today is to eat tomorrow", "Beware of winter before it comes". The point of view is supportive of the ant and is also that expressed in the Jewish Book of Proverbs, which mentions the ant twice. The first proverb admonishes, "Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, (notice the ant is female) which having no captain, overseer or ruler, plants her palms in the springtime, and worries not through winter" (6.6-9). Later, in a parallel saying of Agur, the insects figure among the 'four things that are little upon the earth but they are exceeding wise. The ants are a people not strong, yet their palms are glorious in the summer.' (30.24-5)

This might just be the "deepest" post in the history of palm talk. WOW. blink.gif

Manny

Here are a couple pics of my corralled pots. My wife wanted me to correct the 60 cycads... claims I actually have over 100 cycads and she says she should know because they are poking and scratching her everytime she plays with our daughter on the patio.

post-1262-082628900 1336445173_thumb.jpg post-1262-020104000 1336445181_thumb.jpg post-1262-029252600 1336445189_thumb.jpg

These are just a few of the pots

I see lots of empty space! What's with that? :lol:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Here are a couple pics of my corralled pots. My wife wanted me to correct the 60 cycads... claims I actually have over 100 cycads and she says she should know because they are poking and scratching her everytime she plays with our daughter on the patio.

post-1262-082628900 1336445173_thumb.jpg post-1262-020104000 1336445181_thumb.jpg post-1262-029252600 1336445189_thumb.jpg

These are just a few of the pots

Wow you've got some beauties! You need to get those into the ground!

I wouldn't have so many in pots if people like Jeff Marcus wouldn't keep offering the coolest and rarest

species available.

We had a house warming party on cinco de mayo, and well everyone, especially

my wife agreed that I have way too many palms planted. Is that possible. There is always room to

squeeze in one more cool one somewhere.

aloha, and what a crazy addiction we share

In the ground they will go this month if all goes well. I have to purchase about 60 cubic yards to fill in the planter so budgets will be stretched.

The wife said no more plants unless I buy her diamond earrings... so no plants it is.:rolleyes:

In the ground they will go this month if all goes well. I have to purchase about 60 cubic yards to fill in the planter so budgets will be stretched.

The wife said no more plants unless I buy her diamond earrings... so no plants it is.:rolleyes:

http://www.moissaniteco.com/

When she gets fed up, spoil her with something from here, it's a lot cheaper than the real stuff and looks better then....plant more plants! You see...When married, you always need to have at least 10 plants in pots, you plant one then replace it so you can always say " no babe, i've had that for a while, I didn't get any new ones"! If you don't have a few laying around and you come home with something she will definitely notice!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!