Sign in to follow this  
Geoff

ButiaX Jubaea

Geoff

8" tall over all seedling in full sun/cold- no protection whatsoever, managed to go undamaged from 25F-27F for over 5 hours in San Fernando Valley (frostless night).

PalmGuyWC

My Butia X Jubaea has about 12 feet of trunk and has been fruiting for years.  It survived 14 F in 1990 with little or no damage.  It's super cold hardy, and quite a magnificant palm.  It's growing under open sky.

Dick

Jon T

Hate to just tag along, but I had fourteen two times, likewise with no damage for my little two-foot mostly pinnate butia x jubaea seedlings. Tough parents.

Jon T.

TexasColdHardyPalms

Last year we has a few weeks of 70's and 80's then instantly a  big cold front accompanied with 20mph gusts for a good part of a day.  BxJ F1 Zero damage in the ground or in 20G container.  Killed 100% of 7G Butia Odorata and defoliated 100% 5-6' clear trunk Butia Catarensis.  4-6' CT Butia Odorata had 80% defoliation. All brahea armata defoliated. Large or small.  All Small jubaea defoliated and half of the 15G plants died.  

Temps Hi/Low:

39/12

26/18

39/12

46/18

• Upvote 1