IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brisbane vs. Byron Bay

Laisla87

Hi all

Just wondering for those Aussies amongst us with experience in NE NSW/SEQ, which climate is more subtropical and conducive to growing warm climate plants. Logic would, at first instance, indicate Brisbane as it is further north but observing the temperature variations, Byron Bay is more stable (warmer lows/cooler highs) while Brisbane is more extreme (i.e. 12 - 25 vs 15 - 22). I do see more Plumeria obtusas in Brisbane but more Heliconia psittacorums in BB. Then again, the temperature readings in Brisbane may vary according to suburb and proximity to the coast. I'd be interested to know what is your take on it.

Adam

Hi all

Just wondering for those Aussies amongst us with experience in NE NSW/SEQ, which climate is more subtropical and conducive to growing warm climate plants. Logic would, at first instance, indicate Brisbane as it is further north but observing the temperature variations, Byron Bay is more stable (warmer lows/cooler highs) while Brisbane is more extreme (i.e. 12 - 25 vs 15 - 22). I do see more Plumeria obtusas in Brisbane but more Heliconia psittacorums in BB. Then again, the temperature readings in Brisbane may vary according to suburb and proximity to the coast. I'd be interested to know what is your take on it.

Adam

Hi Adam, it's Brisbane hands down for near the water. I no longer live in Brisbane by the way, having moved north to sunshine coast hinterland a couple of years ago.

Here's a couple of old threads of mine on Byron areas. I haven't been back for quite some time now, so things may have changed.. :unsure:

Apologies for some missing pics in these older threads, a prime example of the benefit of the new thumbnail system in PT.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5255&st=0&p=87514&hl=byron&fromsearch=1&#entry87514

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5267&st=0&p=87717&hl=byron&fromsearch=1&#entry87717

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Love those pics Wal. Northern NSW seems so much more lush and green than SEQ for some reason.

Love those pics Wal. Northern NSW seems so much more lush and green than SEQ for some reason.

Actually the geography of Australia tells us to either follow the Great Dividing Range or hug close to the coast (or do both) to locate "Lush and Green". SEQ vs Northern NSW would have to be quantified for zones and area to be assessed, interesting thought though. Brisbane takes up a big chunk of SEQ and as we all know, most of it's L and G has been demolished for housing etc.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Adam

There are probably more Heliconia psittacorums in Byron Bay for the simple fact that more have been planted......I can assure you that these grow like weeds in Brisbane. When I last lived there over 15 years ago I had a buggar of a time getting rid of H. psittacorum out of the garden there.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Hi all

Adam

There are probably more Heliconia psittacorums in Byron Bay for the simple fact that more have been planted......I can assure you that these grow like weeds in Brisbane. When I last lived there over 15 years ago I had a buggar of a time getting rid of H. psittacorum out of the garden there.

That's probably true. On that note, you may not see certain plants grown in your area not necessarily because they can't be grown, but because they haven't been planted (that could be for any reason - availability, popularity of other plants, limited nursery range ect). That's why my whole tropical garden is a big experiment; there are few examples to follow.

On another note, can Alpinia purpurea be grown in Brissie?

When I last lived in Brisbane (about 20 years ago) I grew Alpinia purpurata without too many problems, it is a bit slower to establish there than it is here and it may be a bit of a problem in the western suburbs though if not well protected.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

• 1 month later...

My Alpinia purpurata mostly died at my place near Byron Bay. Re differences between Byron Bay and Brisbane it depends exactly where your talking about. I think the Cape itself is warmer than anywhere, especially the northern facing slope near the lighthouse. Although back to the west at Belongil frost there has been known at beach level. Frost at sea level has been recorded in Cardwell NQ too, so not clear cut. Byron Bay has more rain and higher humidity than Brisbane so is a factor to consider. Generally Brisbane is 2 degrees warmer than comparable (distance from coast) places in NENSW but the soil is poor, except eastern areas around Redland Bay. So if your comparing the coastal suburbs of Brisbane to Byron Bay township itself, then Id go with Brisbane for being more 'tropical'. In saying all this I myself would prefer the wet subcoastal Tweed area any day to that of anywhere around Brisbane. With nearly 80 inches of rain annually, once you create a microclimate you can naturally warm the atmosphere to allow those tropicals to grow-well nearly all !

I've lived in FNQ but never SEQ. What can be grown in in FNQ that can't in Brissie?

Cyrtostachys, Pritchardi pacifica (generally), Euterpe oleracea, Oncosperma tigillarium , Nypa fruticans, Areca macrocalyx, Lodoicea maldivica etc.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I've lived in FNQ but never SEQ. What can be grown in in FNQ that can't in Brissie?

Cyrtostachys, Pritchardi pacifica (generally), Euterpe oleracea, Oncosperma tigillarium , Nypa fruticans, Areca macrocalyx, Lodoicea maldivica etc.

That's a shame; these are some of the nicest palms available. Although it's funny how moving from one climate to another affects your plant choices; I'd probably never grow Cyrtostachys even if I could because in my previous garden they were everywhere and I came to think of them as 'common'.

Wal, where does the line start where you can grow these things? Has anyone had any success with them in Brissie at all?

I never see much Plumeria obtusa in SEQ too. Does that struggle too?

Cheers

There is a lot of P.obtusa in SEQ...however they generally lose their leaves in the winter.

Re: the line...there are large C.renda growing in Rockhampton, but I'm sure they would also grow in more coastal areas further south. There are so many climate variations in central QLD it is hard to say if there is a line, it is more a case of 'isolated' areas that have the right conditions.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

There is a lot of P.obtusa in SEQ...however they generally lose their leaves in the winter.

Re: the line...there are large C.renda growing in Rockhampton, but I'm sure they would also grow in more coastal areas further south. There are so many climate variations in central QLD it is hard to say if there is a line, it is more a case of 'isolated' areas that have the right conditions.

Daryl

I have C.renda in my garden about 120km south of Rockhampton, it is now going through its 3rd winter................ In regards to P.obtusa I find if you can keep them free of rust they generally don't loose their leaves, some of the best ones I have seen are out in northwestern Queensland around Cloncurry and Mount Isa. Out there they are in leaf and flower year round and look spectacular.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland