IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best palms suited for Memphis,Tennessee

Romeo

Hello ,
My Name is Ricky Romero but everyone calls me Romeo.
I live in Memphis, Tennessee
Im new here but have enjoyed learning so much by visiting the past 16 months.
Im ready to plant some palms but need some advice.
Can anyone offer some advice on what palms I might have luck with.
I have my eyes set on a Sabal palmetto but not sure if it would work.
We are a low z8a zone east.
Thank you , I cant bring anything to the table but I really enjoy this forum so much.

Hi Welcome! to Palm Talk! I live in NC and I grow Trachycarpus Fortunei, Butia Capitata, Sabal Palmetto, needle palm, european fan palm. and there are few other cold hardy varieties that grow in this area which is similiar to your climate. my zone is 8a near 7b border by the way. there are also some hybrid cold hardy palms that might grow in your area. Since its spring many nursuries or even home depot like stores are carring these varieties, if they grow in your area, that is one way to find what is succesful there. hope i helped.

We grow the same palms described in the previous post in our zone 8b backyard in Eastern Virginia. The trachs (windmill palms) and Rhapidiophyllums(needles)laugh at the cold, but the Sabal palmettos suffer in winter. Sometimes they take until the Fall to look good again here and then with cold, suffer again. Check out (and join)the Southeastern Palm Society for lots of useful information and magazines as well as regional meetings. See their listing under the "share a site" portion of Palmtalk. Of course you should first become a member of IPS (if you aren't already) and use the search option for all of Palmtalk on these palms! Lots of nice and entertaining folks and great information here as you already know.

Cindy Adair

Romeo!

Welcome

And, well

Rhapidophyllum will grow for you

Along with the Sabal minor, you find growing in the roadways of Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plains . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Needle palms and Sabal minor are probably long-term hardy. Trachycarpus fortunei, Takil, and nanus are also good bets but may not be as reliable as the other 2. For arborescent Sabals, start with plants smaller than 15 gallons. Protect it through winter for a few years as it gets established. Be prepared that it might succumb in a cold snap. In addition to Sabal palmetto, acquire Sabal 'Birmingham'. It's lineage isn't understood, but it may be a hybrid, or simply an extra hardy S. palmetto..or neither. Again, it'll need some time to get established, but eventually it'll grow into a tree. The large B&B palmettos haven't been as cold hardy in marginal zones and they will be hard to protect those first winters. Also the bud being exposed to the cold makes them much more like to die by freezing. Good luck and know there are people growing palms in places where the common wisdom says it can't be done. This is a great board and I encourage you to use it frequently, but the Hardy Palm and Subtropical board is a fantastic resource for folks in TN. There are many members from TN and some have been growing palms in climates more challenging than Memphis.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Welcome Romeo! I would probably add Nannorrhops ritchiana to your list.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Wasn't there someone who had pics of a big Butia in Tennessee or Arkansas last year?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Wasn't there someone who had pics of a big Butia in Tennessee or Arkansas last year?

I was just gonna say the same thing! But your Butia would have to be large straight from the get go.

Welcome to the forum Romeo!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Nannorhops doesn't like a lot of water--even in the heat. Cold plus wet equals death for them.

You likely have fertile soil,which makes for all sorts of gardening possibilities with warm-temperate plants. You can also experiment with dry-climate plants by giving them excellent drainage. Some yuccas, Nolina, Dasylirion should do well. Yuccado nursery has a neat assortment of plants.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Welcome! to Palm Talk! I live in NC and I grow Trachycarpus Fortunei, Butia Capitata, Sabal Palmetto, needle palm, european fan palm. and there are few other cold hardy varieties that grow in this area which is similiar to your climate. my zone is 8a near 7b border by the way. there are also some hybrid cold hardy palms that might grow in your area. Since its spring many nursuries or even home depot like stores are carring these varieties, if they grow in your area, that is one way to find what is succesful there. hope i helped.

thank you for some great ideas

We grow the same palms described in the previous post in our zone 8b backyard in Eastern Virginia. The trachs (windmill palms) and Rhapidiophyllums(needles)laugh at the cold, but the Sabal palmettos suffer in winter. Sometimes they take until the Fall to look good again here and then with cold, suffer again. Check out (and join)the Southeastern Palm Society for lots of useful information and magazines as well as regional meetings. See their listing under the "share a site" portion of Palmtalk. Of course you should first become a member of IPS (if you aren't already) and use the search option for all of Palmtalk on these palms! Lots of nice and entertaining folks and great information here as you already know.

Thank you Apaandssa . This is the best forum

Romeo!

Welcome

And, well

Rhapidophyllum will grow for you

Along with the Sabal minor, you find growing in the roadways of Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plains . . . .

Thank you Dave for the tips. I have seen Sabal Minor and Rhapidophyllum at the Memphis Zoo but wasnt sure if it stayed out all year !

Needle palms and Sabal minor are probably long-term hardy. Trachycarpus fortunei, Takil, and nanus are also good bets but may not be as reliable as the other 2. For arborescent Sabals, start with plants smaller than 15 gallons. Protect it through winter for a few years as it gets established. Be prepared that it might succumb in a cold snap. In addition to Sabal palmetto, acquire Sabal 'Birmingham'. It's lineage isn't understood, but it may be a hybrid, or simply an extra hardy S. palmetto..or neither. Again, it'll need some time to get established, but eventually it'll grow into a tree. The large B&B palmettos haven't been as cold hardy in marginal zones and they will be hard to protect those first winters. Also the bud being exposed to the cold makes them much more like to die by freezing. Good luck and know there are people growing palms in places where the common wisdom says it can't be done. This is a great board and I encourage you to use it frequently, but the Hardy Palm and Subtropical board is a fantastic resource for folks in TN. There are many members from TN and some have been growing palms in climates more challenging than Memphis.

Thanks Keith , I have surfed there in the past and caught some negativity for Memphis and felt its just best not to ask for a pass there.

Thank You.

Thanks Roz, We do get wet here as we are in the Mississippi Delta Region

You likely have fertile soil,which makes for all sorts of gardening possibilities with warm-temperate plants. You can also experiment with dry-climate plants by giving them excellent drainage. Some yuccas, Nolina, Dasylirion should do well. Yuccado nursery has a neat assortment of plants.

Awesome idea Dave, Thank You !

Ive seen posts he has made and he is from Little Rock, Arkansas but it may have been a W.Robusta , cant remember.

Thanks !

I was just gonna say the same thing! But your Butia would have to be large straight from the get go.

Welcome to the forum Romeo!

Thanks Mark , I guess size does matter in less hardy areas of the Central United States

Romeo, welcome to the forum!

Sabal palmetto would be marginal at best, but worth a try. Sabal mexicana might also be worth a try when it comes to trunking Sabals. And I would definitely give Jubaea a chance.

Whelcome Romeo

I live in northern Italy, 44' N, in zone 8a, with wet and cold winters, we grow easily trachycarpus fortunei and chamaerops humilis (with some damage sometime), jubaea chilensins is slow but thrives, sabal minor, thritrinax campestris, brahea armata (with some protections)

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

Thanks Keith , I have surfed there in the past and caught some negativity for Memphis and felt its just best not to ask for a pass there.

Thank You.

Romeo, there are indeed some childish posters on that board. But if you ignore them, there are many more that genuinely like to help others succeed. From the pictures I've seen, I think Memphis has an amazing palm flora for TN, much like Chattanooga. The TN posters (even those that can be childish) have really opened my eyes about growing palms in places where I'd never have figured it to be possible. So don't let pettiness there prevent you from learning.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Thank You.

Romeo, there are indeed some childish posters on that board. But if you ignore them, there are many more that genuinely like to help others succeed. From the pictures I've seen, I think Memphis has an amazing palm flora for TN, much like Chattanooga. The TN posters (even those that can be childish) have really opened my eyes about growing palms in places where I'd never have figured it to be possible. So don't let pettiness there prevent you from learning.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It wasn't the Tennessee posters I was referring too but did notice some animosity from the Chattanooga area but thats OK. We should all be proud from where we live. On my way to Houston this long weekend and hoping to see a nice palmetto for sale.

Thank you.

Sabal palmetto would be marginal at best, but worth a try. Sabal mexicana might also be worth a try when it comes to trunking Sabals. And I would definitely give Jubaea a chance.

Alex thanks for posting to me.

You live in one of the most desirable places in Florida. Its just beautiful there and likely a z10 climate.

I will place your suggestions to good use.

Thank You

Whelcome Romeo

I live in northern Italy, 44' N, in zone 8a, with wet and cold winters, we grow easily trachycarpus fortunei and chamaerops humilis (with some damage sometime), jubaea chilensins is slow but thrives, sabal minor, thritrinax campestris, brahea armata (with some protections)

Hi Federico , Thank you for posting to me.

It seems our climates could be identical.

Our summers are brutal here and the humidity is extreme.

Winters are not uncommon with a cold spike from Canada but they are short lived.

There are Trachycarpus Fortunei growing here but its like no one cares for subtropical plants as they are seldom seen. There are Bananas plantings everywhere but Im doing my part to change that.

Thanks again for your recommendations!

Alex thanks for posting to me.

You live in one of the most desirable places in Florida. Its just beautiful there and likely a z10 climate.

I will place your suggestions to good use.

Thank You

Thanks Romeo! While we are in zone 10 here, we actually have trouble growing some of the cold hardy species down here. Most Trachycarpus don't do well here long term and you probably have a better chance of growing a Jubaea to maturity in the Memphis area than in Central or South Florida.

• Upvote 1