IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Walk Through the Garden

Jeff Searle

The first two are Astrocaryum lancetellu. This is an old plant that I grew from seed many years ago. It's about 8' tall now.

A newly planted Licuala sp. "Togu Budo" from PNG.

post-23-092021500 1337211816_thumb.jpg

post-23-061631500 1337211839_thumb.jpg

post-23-088783700 1337211866_thumb.jpg

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dypsis carlsmithii.

post-23-065184500 1337212111_thumb.jpg

post-23-055759900 1337212135_thumb.jpg

post-23-002581900 1337212161_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, the garden looks immaculate. Truly a labor of love. Keep up the good work. I always look forward to seeing it and observe something new on each occasion. All the best the you and Andrea.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Looking up into the crowns of Satakentia liukiuensis.

Aiphanes minima.

A newly planted Bentinckia condapanna. Hope it will grow here.

post-23-088644500 1337212242_thumb.jpg

post-23-017748500 1337212288_thumb.jpg

post-23-097919700 1337212312_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

My first, but certainly not last Tahina spectabalis. This has been planted approx. one year now and has been slow so far.

post-23-058870500 1337213948_thumb.jpg

post-23-050214300 1337213968_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

My largest Dypsis mananjarensis in the yard, it's about 8-9' tall now and has stretched a bit due to all the trees and palms around it. I have to constantly trim things back to give it more direct sunlight. Earlier this year, I planted another one out( one gallon size) in full sun and it's growing great.

post-23-053665900 1337215621_thumb.jpg

post-23-050206200 1337215643_thumb.jpg

post-23-007808600 1337215666_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The first three are Licuala platydactyla, native to PNG. It's over 10 years old now from seed and is pretty rare to come by. It's nickname is the Bow Tie palm.

Planted down near the water is Beccariophoenix sp. "Coastal Form".

post-23-097640800 1337215896_thumb.jpg

post-23-083978100 1337215918_thumb.jpg

post-23-050745300 1337215940_thumb.jpg

post-23-036597100 1337215970_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I used to have Licuala sp. "Togu Budo". And one day, it just died.... no reason... just died :(. I can't replace it....

Love that L. platydactyla too, Jeff... a dainty little thing...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Dypsis manenjarensis is different from sp. dark mealybug?

Yes Andrew, very different. Come up for a visit, you'll see.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow! This has to be one of the most spectacular gardens on Palm Talk. Thanks for posting so many pictures Jeff. Your garden is a real inspiration. I love all the color mixed in with the palms.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

My Fiji Island Dwarf coconut planted near the pond.

Attalea cohune

Sabal mauritiformis

post-23-053497900 1337387580_thumb.jpg

post-23-005484900 1337387604_thumb.jpg

post-23-056736100 1337387643_thumb.jpg

post-23-005183200 1337387693_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Rhapis sp. Unknown hybrid with long, druppy leaflets.

Zamia encephalartoides, native to Columbia

post-23-048741700 1337387931_thumb.jpg

post-23-002999800 1337387950_thumb.jpg

post-23-043236000 1337387977_thumb.jpg

post-23-077145800 1337387996_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Three large Bismarckia nobilis. Two are females and one male, and way more seed being produced than I care to have. Approx. 30-35' in height.

post-23-004532600 1337388234_thumb.jpg

post-23-014359300 1337388255_thumb.jpg

post-23-051595100 1337388284_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Orchid on tree.

Mertya balansae, native to New Caledonia.

Sitting area.

post-23-006832300 1337388701_thumb.jpg

post-23-006891800 1337388722_thumb.jpg

post-23-057345800 1337388746_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Zamia acuminata, possibly.

Licuala mapu.

post-23-044394200 1337388836_thumb.jpg

post-23-040928000 1337388855_thumb.jpg

post-23-053489700 1337388877_thumb.jpg

post-23-036800600 1337388897_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks guys!

I like this yellow flowering shrub, it blooms basically all year round. Can someone help with a name?

Neoveitchia storckii up near the front door with orchids growing on it.

That flower is Uncarina decaryi :D

Thanks guys!

I like this yellow flowering shrub, it blooms basically all year round. Can someone help with a name?

Neoveitchia storckii up near the front door with orchids growing on it.

That flower is Uncarina decaryi :D

I just this past weekend talked to my friend that gave me this plant and he stated it was Uncarina grandidieri as stated from a previous poster. But thanks for your input.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

that's probably the gnarliest garden i've ever seen based purely on photos! Wow! Now I know what you mean when you say we should all "move!" Fantastic garden, love the layout, the freeform feel to the whole place is astonishing,

I really enjoy that kind of layout as opposed to a more geometric layout. Truly, truly, epic! So. Florida is where it's at, evidently!

----FINS WAY UP!!---

-eric

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

A really top garden Jeff, thanks for taking the time to share. Love all those Copernicia

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Jeff, has that 'sueroana' always looked like that, or has it gradually looked more and more like a gigas? Seeing it makes me so happy Copernicia gigas was one of the first palms I planted :)

Edited by Mandrew968

Eric and Brod,

Thanks again for your comments. Things in our garden were not planned in advanced. Just an ongoing trail here, plant another palm there, then add a bench. Of course not all is perfect, even a few things that were planted earlier on got too big where other plants next to it might have suffered. Overall, it's been fun and a great experience.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Maybe I'm being greedy, but any more photos Jeff?

Peter,

I was almost finished when my wife took the camera on a short trip to Antigua and our camera broke down there. I might be getting a replacement soon though and would finish up shortly.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, You have a wonderfull and complete garden. You probably know of a good nursery source :mrlooney:

Thanks, I was very impressed when I made a visit to your yard a few years back. I remeber how plants were so perfect looking and not a weed to be found! Sorry to hear your moving.

And yes, plants are free, it's a great feeling! :D

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, has that 'sueroana' always looked like that, or has it gradually looked more and more like a gigas? Seeing it makes me so happy Copernicia gigas was one of the first palms I planted :)

Andrew, it hasen't changed a bit. I've only seen one other almost as big in another yard down in dade county on a palm tour a few years back.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, how big is that D. carlsmithii you are leaning on in your avatar now

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that photo was taken about three or four years ago. Its bigger now and produces copious amounts of seed.

My comment on the photos in this thread :drool:

Jeff, how big is that D. carlsmithii you are leaning on in your avatar now

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Brod / Ron,

The palm now is a good 15' tall. I just noticed yesterday a huge flower spike has begun to emerge. Which means now it's growing somewhat slower than a few years ago.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

More pictures!

Can't get enough. I am greedy . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Jeff, ive never tried Mapu here as I thought as soon as the temp dropped below 12c, its life was over...How long has yours been inground and how cold does your winter night temps get..... Do you cover it at all in winter?....Our gardens do not get frost but we have many nights down to 6c,( sometimes as low as 3c) what do you think my chances are of Mapu growing well here? All your shots since I last posted are brilliant and help any "keen palm enthusiast ' inspired and motivated..Pete

Jeff, ive never tried Mapu here as I thought as soon as the temp dropped below 12c, its life was over...How long has yours been inground and how cold does your winter night temps get..... Do you cover it at all in winter?....Our gardens do not get frost but we have many nights down to 6c,( sometimes as low as 3c) what do you think my chances are of Mapu growing well here? All your shots since I last posted are brilliant and help any "keen palm enthusiast ' inspired and motivated..Pete

Pete,

This one has only been in the ground for a couple of years now. I'm not too sure on the temp. conversions, but I used to have three bigger ones in the ground that took low 30's with no problems. I lost them to Hurricane Wilma 6 years ago. They would be about 18" buy now. I honestly think you should be able to grow them there based on all of your other unique palms.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Pete,

This one has only been in the ground for a couple of years now. I'm not too sure on the temp. conversions, but I used to have three bigger ones in the ground that took low 30's with no problems. I lost them to Hurricane Wilma 6 years ago. They would be about 18" buy now. I honestly think you should be able to grow them there based on all of your other unique palms.

Jeff, Wow, 32f is 0c and 35f is 1.5c...What great news this is for our gardens..Jeff how much light did your previous 3 receive and how much light is your new one in?...Also Jeff, what is your usual day temps during the coolest part of winter there especially when your night temp plummits to 32f?...... Ive only ever seen Mapus in Oz grown in deep shade..I look fwd to your reply.Im a very keen learner, thank you Jeff..Pete

Pete,

Jeff, Wow, 32f is 0c and 35f is 1.5c...What great news this is for our gardens..Jeff how much light did your previous 3 receive and how much light is your new one in?...Also Jeff, what is your usual day temps during the coolest part of winter there especially when your night temp plummits to 32f?...... Ive only ever seen Mapus in Oz grown in deep shade..I look fwd to your reply.Im a very keen learner, thank you Jeff..Pete

The Licualas were planted under a big Black Olive tree, and the one now is in the same spot as the other three once were. If I were to guess, during the winter months, our high's for an average day are probably around 76-80F. Here in south Florida, we get cold fronts on ocassion where we can dip into the low 30's overnight, then in a couple of days, our overnight lows might be back in the 50's to 60's. I hope this helps some.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Pete,

The Licualas were planted under a big Black Olive tree, and the one now is in the same spot as the other three once were. If I were to guess, during the winter months, our high's for an average day are probably around 76-80F. Here in south Florida, we get cold fronts on ocassion where we can dip into the low 30's overnight, then in a couple of days, our overnight lows might be back in the 50's to 60's. I hope this helps some.

Thanks Jeff for all that info, Im certain all our "equatorial rainforest palms" grow with success beacause of all the overhead 'rainforest trees' i planted years ago..Thanks for the inspiration and filling me in with your weather patterns..Pete

Beautiful garden. Thanks for posting all of the pictures. They definitely give us something to strive for.

Double Holy Cow!! I am tired taking the tour! Incredible! How do you keep the weeds at bay? Everything looks perfect!

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Double Holy Cow!! I am tired taking the tour! Incredible! How do you keep the weeds at bay? Everything looks perfect!

Cindy,

Thanks! I still need to use some herbicides in areas where there's not many plants planted out. As areas fill up and grow in, and with increasing shade overhead, the weeds grow very little there. I also try to keep up with the mulching, which is a big help as well.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 1 year later...

My Fiji Island Dwarf coconut planted near the pond.

Attalea cohune

Sabal mauritiformis

Keith - this is a fine example of the Sabal we were talking about on the Chat last night

post #132 for photo :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B