Jeff Searle

A Walk Through the Garden

Jeff Searle

My largest Pseudophoenix vinifera in a slightly raised bed. It's now about 12' and should flower soon.

post-430-092002100 1336010737_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jeff Searle

One of our long pathways in the backyard. Lots of palms and crotons.

post-430-046802900 1336010820_thumb.jpg

Jeff Searle

Dypsis saintlucei

post-23-097128100 1336008073_thumb.jpg

Lowey

Nice shots Jeff, keep them coming, love that vinifera :drool:

Jeff Searle

On the right is a Dwarf Areca catechu.

post-430-063819100 1336010942_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Peter

Looks great Jeff-look forward to more tomorrow!

• Upvote 1

Bill Austin

Very nice I like the colors you have, looks like you mite get some seed off your areca catechu dwarf good luck with them.

Trópico

Looking good Jeff, I love pool with palms scenery. I should stop by the next time I go down to the palm sale.

ariscott

It has been a while since we saw your garden, Jeff. What about your flowering trees? I am sure the others won't mind...

Regards, Ari :)

DoomsDave

On the right is a Dwarf Areca catechu.

What's that tall palm, leaning over the pool, then doing a bend skyward?

BS Man about Palms

You learn how to work a camera? happy to hear it.... :D

palmislandRandy

Can't wait to drool on your plants in person :)

Pedro 65

Jeff, thats a Killer Pseudo, the pool scene is very inviting, choice plant placement. I too, ask like Dave , what is that Palm over the pool ? great choice and great effect. I look fwd to more pics of your gardens, thanks for posting. Pete. :)

realarch

Just beautiful Jeff, just beautiful. I'm sure there is much more to come.....I hope.

Tassie_Troy1971

Lovely Photos of a great palm garden - keep em coming Jeff !

Troy

Kennybenjamin

Very nice garden Mr Searle!!

I would love to see many more photos, that is my sort of garden B)

I will have a guess that the palm bending over the pool is Ptychosperma elegans??

Cheers

Cindy Adair

I really enjoyed seeing your garden paradise and like everyone else, welcome any more views... Thanks!

Jeff Searle

Thank you everyone!

Bruce,

The P. vinifera is the fastest of all the species. Compared to the others, it's almost like a weed in it's growth.

Peter,

Your due for a visit here, it's been awhile.

Bill,

The Areca has flowered already and aborted, so eventually I hope it will set some seeds. The last leave just fell off this past weekend and a new flower was exposed, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Frank,

You are certainly welcomed to come on by after the next sale with the others. It's always alot of fun.

Ari,

I'll try to take a few pictures of any flowering tree or plant. Not sure if much is flowering now though. I know you have always been interested. :D

Dave,

The palm leaning over is Pty. elegans. It actually survived through Hurricane Wilma back in 06. It did almost go over though.

Bill,

It's called being very,very lazy. I have alot to photograph and need to start doing so!

Randy,

Soon, the South Florida Palm Society is talking about a garden tour up this way in early June maybe. And the Croton group might want to stop over late that afternoon when we meet soon. Hope you can make it.

Pete,

Thanks for your nice comments. More to follow....

Tim and Troy,

Thank you also, and will share some more soon.

Kenny,

Your right about the Pty. elegans! Great call, because it's not a good, clear picture.

Cindy,

Thanks! More to follow.

DALION

My largest Pseudophoenix vinifera in a slightly raised bed. It's now about 12' and should flower soon.

That is an amazing vinifera. I also like the Encephalartos on the front left of that pic. It is holding on to tons of blue in your very humid environment. But, what is the plumeria looking plant in the right center of the pic? It sort of looks like a pachypodium.

Leo

Kim

Waiting for more photos! Your garden has a unique look, which does not surprise me one bit, what a gorgeous jungle. :) More! More! More!

Hilo Jason

One of my favorite gardens I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. Thanks for the pics Jeff, can't wait to see more!

Jeff Searle

Leo,

The Enchep. is a E. horridus, but I have one off to the left and out of the picture with much more blue. I beleive their the same, but the colors are strikingly different from each other. The pachy is an unknown species to me. I think it's pretty common, and has white blooms.

Kim,

Most areas of the yard (2 1/2 acres )have become a jungle over time, which means less sunlight, which means lots less weeds and spraying! We have many pathways and sitting areas that we have incorporated over time. We love the feeling of walking and not knowing what's around the corner.

Jason,

Thank you very much. Only next time you'll have to let your wife come down and enjoy some fun as well.

virtualpalm

The P. vinifera is the fastest of all the species. Compared to the others, it's almost like a weed in it's growth.

I'll have to disagree a little with this statement, Jeff. The fastest species in the genus from my experience is P. lediniana. But I do agree with everyone that your P. vinifera is a nice one!

Jody

rozpalm

Awesome garden! Before looking at this thread, I actually went and made a latte in the hopes of sitting down to scroll through 30 or 40 spectacular pictures. I hope this was this just the teaser. :blink: With 2.5 acres and a nursery that's been growing some of the coolest plants on the earth for 23years, there has to be lots of incredible stuff. Maybe you need to assign Ryan? :D Can't wait for my P. vinifera's to get that big. I'm not sure I'll live long enough though. :(

Gileno Machado

Very nice garden, Jeff. Please post close-up photos of that gorgeous Areca catechu dwarf when possible...

Jeff Searle

The first one is Dypsis baronii. The second is the oh so pretty Dypsis basilonga.

post-23-037621600 1336088877_thumb.jpg

post-23-025949500 1336088988_thumb.jpg

Jeff Searle

This is Dypsis sahanofensis. On my trip in 2006 along with Peter B. and Bill B.we spent one day climbing basically to the top of Mt. Vatovavy where we not only saw this very rare palm, but many others. This plant was grown from seed of that trip.

post-23-005869700 1336089167_thumb.jpg

post-23-037770600 1336089190_thumb.jpg

Jeff Searle

Besides palms, crotons are my next largest plant group in the yard. I feel you can't beat them for good color and that tropical feel.

The first....Pop's Yard

The second...Colonel Bob Bullock

And the third...Colonel Lindberg(L)with the White form of Ann Rutherford on the right.

post-23-049463800 1336089828_thumb.jpg

post-23-016310900 1336089863_thumb.jpg

post-23-045750900 1336089894_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jeff Searle

Awesome garden! Before looking at this thread, I actually went and made a latte in the hopes of sitting down to scroll through 30 or 40 spectacular pictures. I hope this was this just the teaser. :blink: With 2.5 acres and a nursery that's been growing some of the coolest plants on the earth for 23years, there has to be lots of incredible stuff. Maybe you need to assign Ryan? :D Can't wait for my P. vinifera's to get that big. I'm not sure I'll live long enough though. :(

Thanks Ron,

But last night I was under the weather. But I must correct you, were in our 30th year now. :D Which is really hard to beleive!

Jeff Searle

A small, recently planted Calyptrocalyx albertisianus with a newly openned red leaf.

Looking down one of the paths with bamboo on each side. Both names escape me now.

This small, but old palm is Heterospathe brevicaulis, which I think is native to the Philippines.

post-23-034756500 1336091649_thumb.jpg

post-23-029729700 1336091789_thumb.jpg

post-23-068158300 1336091837_thumb.jpg

_Rich

Easily my favorite personal garden I've visited :greenthumb: . Amazing sights for someone from the frozen tundra up north in Central FL. Jeff and Andrea are phenomenal hosts and anyone lucky enough to get an invite would be foolish not to capitalize on it and spend some time with the Searles. Looking forward to the next time!

Best,

Rich

LJG

Nice work Jeff. It only took a few years but we finally see your garden with your own camera :)

paulgila

love them croat-ens! :mrlooney:

jeffs garden is even more of a knock-out in person! :drool:

Peter Pacific

Great garden Jeff, I'd love to see it in person the next time I'm in Florida...maybe after the biennial??

That striped bamboo is killer.

Peter

Jeff Searle

Thanks Rich, Len and Paul, I appreciate it!

Len, your over due for a visit sometime soon arn't you?

Peter, your most welcome to come by after the biennial or even sometime during it one day/evening. I'm thinking others will as well.

Mike Evans

Fantastic looking garden Jeff. I like the rocks around your pool. I have to make it down sometime to see it in person. Can you post a pic of your big Beccariophoenix alfredii?

Walter John

Looks terrific Jeff, please advise what you are using for the pathway floors, in particular post # 2 and 3, it has a great natural feel about it. Does it drain well from these paths in heavy rains ? sorry for the Qs..

colin Peters

Wow Jeff beautiful, really like the Dypsis sahanofensis and saintlucei, hopefully my saintlucei will

look like that. It is growing much faster now that it is planted out, and seems to be pretty tough.

aloha

Dypsisdean

Looks like you've got the hang of it now. I'm expecting coverage of every square foot, and will be very disappointed if I see anything less.

• Upvote 1

Jeff Searle

Mike,

I will do my best to get a picture, even though it's slightly smaller than the one back at the nursery, the one here is getting to much shade IMO.

Wal,

The pathway shot is just wood chippings I get as free mulch when I can from the local tree trimmer. The other is a stone with probably 3 different colors in it, something we buy here. The drainage as a whole is pretty good for the entire yard and really is never a problem.

Colin,

The first time I planted one of these I tried it in the shade and it lasted a year or so but was never happy. I know now that they can really take a full day of sun here and do well.

Dean,

Wow, your putting me under pressure now. I'll do my best! :D