IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Prichardia pacifica

spockvr6

Although this palm hasnt been through a freeze, I felt these photos were still informative.

I have found that the reported extreme cold sensitivity of Prichardia pacifica is true.  Fro two years in a row now, when temps get to the 42-44F range, this palm will start to spot....more heavily on the older leaves and lightly on the newer ones.  

So far this winter (2006-2007), the palm has seen down to 42.6F (December 9, 2006).

But, this palm is good looking enough to merit the trouble IMO.

Overall

Yard_31.jpg

Newer Leaf (midway up crown)

Yard_33.jpg

Older Leaf

Yard_32.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

• 1 month later...

I thought enough time has passed that I could now update this thread with info and pics after the cold snap about 10 days ago as this has given time for damage to be easily seen.

From 2/16 through 2/20, this palm was exposed to lows of 42, 34, 48, 38, and 40F in succession and was unprotected.

The newest leaves appear to look much the same as in the photos above (from the January 21 post).

Palms_07-4.jpg

However, the oldest leaf got completely hammered.

Palms_05-3.jpg

The next leaf up from the bottom fared a little better, but it is still heavily damaged.

Palms_03-1.jpg

Further up the crown, the damage is getting less severe, but still there.

Palms_04-2.jpg

Larry 

But, the palm is apparently not fazed much by this damage, and is growing actively.

Palms_08-4.jpg

Here are a few overall shots of the palm after the cold damage.

Palms_02-2.jpg

Palms_00-3.jpg

Palms-2.jpg

Larry 

In about two months time, this palm will look as though nothing has happened, as the low of 34F in winter 2005/2006 resulted in about this same amount of damage which the palm quickly grew out of.

So, in summary, when they say this palm is 10b, they aint kiddin!

In reality, 11a is probably more appropriate to have the palm "look" as it should throguh winter.  Even then, it will likely still spot and yellow somehat.

Larry 

Larry,

For future container culture?  Dig now or chop up later.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray-

This one is staying put for the sake of the challenge.

I will take another pic in two months and it will look pristine again!

Now that I know this palm's limits with certainty (as far as foliage damage goes...not sure about the growth point), I know what I can get away with and what I cant.   This palm is very easy to protect.  If I had merely bundled the leaves through the last cold snap (and thus had no skyward facing leaves...they were the ones which were damaged so heavily), then Ill bet the damage would have been far less.

And again, the leaves which were damaged heavily would be falling off the palm in weeks anyway as they were declining already.  

My goal with this palm is to grow it until I cannot do anything but bundle the trunk to protect it.  Having a larger size Prichardia in the ground grown from a smaller size plant will be pretty cool for as long as it lasts.

Larry 

You call that damage?  Looks like most palms in SoCal even during the warm season.  Lucky.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Feb. 27 2007,15:07)

You call that damage?  Looks like most palms in SoCal even during the warm season.  Lucky.

No kidding, Matt.  I can't speak for California, but there are only a handful of palms/plants in my entire yard that have less damage than that this winter (min 33) and last winter too for that matter (min 37).  And I'm talking about 10a palms, not even 10b.  When my palms look like that, I don't bat an eye- as long as the spear and new leaves are still mostly green, I'm doing pretty well.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

• 4 weeks later...

As an update----

This palm has added a new leaf since the above photos, with two more on the way.  This palm typically has 3 spears coming out (in various stages of growth) at any given time.

Larry 

• 1 year later...

This palm is still here and has gone through the following---It now stands ~12 ft OA and has formed maybe 1 ft of trunk.

29.5F windy freeze in 1/2008 and was heavily damaged (~75%). However, it grew out of this damage fine.

A series of cool nights (all in the low 40's) for about 5 days in a row in 11/2008 gave it ~50% leaf damage, but this damage took several weeks to fully manifest.

This palm also saw three nights of 35.0F, 33.5F, 35.8F in 1/2009. No frost on leaves and appears to have been damaged no more than it was previously by the long cool stretch in 11/2008.

Larry 

This palm is still here and has gone through the following---It now stands ~12 ft OA and has formed maybe 1 ft of trunk.

29.5F windy freeze in 1/2008 and was heavily damaged (~75%). However, it grew out of this damage fine.

A series of cool nights (all in the low 40's) for about 5 days in a row in 11/2008 gave it ~50% leaf damage, but this damage took several weeks to fully manifest.

This palm also saw three nights of 35.0F, 33.5F, 35.8F in 1/2009. No frost on leaves and appears to have been damaged no more than it was previously by the long cool stretch in 11/2008.

Palms_10.jpg

Palms_34.jpg

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

• 10 months later...

Palms_10.jpg

Palms_34.jpg

I've always loved the look of this palm, but thought there was no way they would suvive in our area. After seeing how this one pulled through some of our colder winters, I think I'll try growing one after learning of your experience Larry! What a beautiful palm! Of course now comes the challenge of finding one to plant!

Jim-

Its still growing fine! Id suggest absolute FULL sun on these guys, yet you also have to try and couple that with a semi-protected location. Those two things can be mutually exclusive sometimes though.

If I had to plant this over again, Id use a P. hillebrandii rather than P. pacifica though as they have very similar "looks" but the hillebdrandii is much tougher. My father planted a hillebrandii out in his yard in Palm Harbor and its grown great.

Larry 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Any update on this palm?

No one believed that my P. pacifica survived a CA Winter but from the temps that you've reported above, and for multiple years, yours has seen a lot colder than mine. Mine saw 38F three or four times, and lots of low 40s last Winter and while the lower leaves were damaged like yours, it continued to grow and recovered quickly in Summer. So far this Winter it's seen 39F once and about 4 nights at low 40s

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Any update on this palm?

Chopped it down last winter MattyB!

The lowest it saw last year was 30F, but there were so so many nights in the 30's (I honestly think it was something like 15 nights less than 40F last winter) and it was just too much.

Larry 

Larry,

For future container culture?  Dig now or chop up later.

Ray

I chose the chop up later approach Ray.

Larry 

I had two in the ground last winter, 1 died, the other just started looking decent a month or two ago, it's about to look like poo again or possibly mulch. It will not be replaced.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I had two in the ground last winter, 1 died, the other just started looking decent a month or two ago, it's about to look like poo again or possibly mulch. It will not be replaced.

I'm going to take some "final" pics of mine, just in case it gives up this time. :unsure:

Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Any update on this palm?

The lowest it saw last year was 30F, but there were so so many nights in the 30's (I honestly think it was something like 15 nights less than 40F last winter) and it was just too much.

Was it dead? Or did you just not want to wait out the recovery time?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Any update on this palm?

Was it dead? Or did you just not want to wait out the recovery time?

It was very ugly looking and after getting battered twice in a row, I thought it would have a very hard time recovering, if it recovered at all. So, I chopped it down.

Larry 

I'm going to take some "final" pics of mine, just in case it gives up this time. :unsure:

Randy

One last look before the Siberian onslaught! Never looked better.

post-1035-019762700 1291912060_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

That is a beauty Randy! Hope it does well.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I have a half-dozen 8-leaf seedlings that suffered after 2 nights with lows of 4-5C (39-41F). Previously, they were pristine from top to bottom inside my greenhouse . Now the lowest leaves have died back, the midway leaves have dead-looking tips and all are generally covered in mushy-looking spots, save for the emerging leaf. I don't think it's terminal, but they do look as if they've now spent all year outside in my Mediterranean climate.

• 10 months later...

Randy

Randy-

Did this palm make it?

Morbid curiosities need to know!

Larry 

Randy

Randy-

Did this palm make it?

Morbid curiosities need to know!

Larry, I took this photo yesterday. It "burns" a little in the winter, but recovers nicely. :) It's exposed to the west side of my house with absolutely no protection. The bottom 2 fronds still show last winters damage.

-Randy

post-1035-083954900 1318258954_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

32 degrees one night for about an hour, but several nights previously in the mid to upper 30's.

20180120_153245.jpg

20180120_153230.jpg

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.