IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus "Supernova"

spockvr6

When I went down to visit John Bishock last year, he gave me a seedling of this palm.  He has a few of these palms growing on his property and to the best of my knowledge, they have not ben officially ID'ed and have been given the moniker "Syagrus supernova".

They have a reputation as being rocketships and having a very robust appearance.

Well, I can confirm that they are fast.  John gave me this palm as a strap leafed seedling in late February 2006 and I planted it soon after.  Look at it now!  The fence in the background is 6 ft tall.

This palm will now always have special meaning to me in the yard and it appears it will soon take over this corner!

Yard_21.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

ciao  Larry!!

I  have  this   " Star""  here  in  Rome  !!

but  unfortunatly   his  growing  rate  is  a  little  bit  different.

but  I  love  it  anyway!

Beautyful  palms

Any  pics  of  a  bigger  one ??  

M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

Here is this palm in April 2006, about 6-8 weeks after John gave it to me.  It had just put out its first non-strap leaf.

supernova-4-2006.jpg

Larry 

A nice tribute.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

That is astounding growth.  Good name, Supernova.  It is exploding.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Wow just less than a year, thats some growth!

• Upvote 1

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Wow i like syagrus ... i like this species, but the growth rate is super :)

I don't think they can't growing here so fast as yours!

Robbin

Southwest

That is fast, though queens, in a happy home also astound.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 6 months later...

Here is an update on John's palm.  This thing is still living up to its "Supernova" name as its now about 10 ft tall.

April 2006

supernova-4-2006.jpg

January 2007

Yard_21.jpg

August 2007

Palms1.jpg

Larry 

Question:  Is it a type of Queen palm or a different species, or maybe a hybrid? Does anyone know where the palm came from? It origian? How cold hardy?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Super indeed and a useful addition to the Genera if it gets properly identified; anything fast is valuable in shorter growing seasons such as here in the UK. Maybe its an interspecific hybrid as in some plants this appears to give extra vigour?

My unprotected Queen is in its second year and certainly living up to its fast reputation with a lot of encouragement from high nitrate.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Does anyone have a picture of the parent plant?

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

• 5 years later...

:lol: This thread is in dire need of updated photos!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Where can we get one?

How different is this from a

Sta. Catarina or Abreojos Queen

I wonder.......

Cheers.

I am the proud owner of 5 new seedlings of this. They won't be photo worthy for a while, but I'll take some before and afters to post this fall.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Ron,

Just pick any direction in your area and find a queen, then take us all a picture.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Super indeed and a useful addition to the Genera if it gets properly identified; anything fast is valuable in shorter growing seasons such as here in the UK. Maybe its an interspecific hybrid as in some plants this appears to give extra vigour?

My unprotected Queen is in its second year and certainly living up to its fast reputation with a lot of encouragement from high nitrate.

Regardez

Juan

On a much more serious note, are there any members out there that know John and if he's still interested in palms,etc? Is he still around? Many years ago he attended a couple of biennials and Andrea and I enjoyed his company. Thanks, and sorry for going off topic somewhat.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Regardez

Juan

On a much more serious note, are there any members out there that know John and if he's still interested in palms,etc? Is he still around? Many years ago he attended a couple of biennials and Andrea and I enjoyed his company. Thanks, and sorry for going off topic somewhat.

Jeff

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/3320-john-bishock-has-passed-away

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Regardez

Juan

Jeff

Dang Jeff, see the previous post. You even commented on it. Senility? :mrlooney:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Regardez

Juan

Jeff

Dang Jeff, see the previous post. You even commented on it. Senility? :mrlooney:

Wrong John Keith. Of course Jeff knows the our friend Mr. Bishnock is no longer with us. Many hours of talking palms @ palm sales and Biennels Jeff has logged with John. Jeff if referring to Juan (other John) PT Forum Member Bilbo. He was at both the DR & CR Biennels, what a character ... :lol:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Regardez

Juan

Jeff

Wrong John Keith. Of course Jeff knows the our friend Mr. Bishnock is no longer with us. Many hours of talking palms @ palm sales and Biennels Jeff has logged with John. Jeff if referring to Juan (other John) PT Forum Member Bilbo. He was at both the DR & CR Biennels, what a character ... :lol:

Whew, I was wondering. But now what am I gonna pick on Jeff about?

Keith...just stick to the chat room,lol. Thanks Ron......

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Keith...just stick to the chat room,lol. Thanks Ron......

-> Keith returns to chat room,head hanging, another attempt at glory failed <-

• 4 months later...

I no longer live at the house where this palm was planted (we moved ~2 years ago), but Ill see if I can make my way back over there sometime and snap a photo. I too am curious if this palm is really any different looking than a standard Queen now that its had a number of years in the ground. I recall John saying that the seeds were different than a normal Queen, and this was one of the indicators.

Larry