Sign in to follow this  
Don Little

Burretiokentia hapala

Don Little

I have a small 2.5' B hapala that was directly below one remote sensor that is 5' of the ground.  It is against a north facing wall with canopy from treeferns and Ch tepijilote.  Not sure how cold it was at ground level under the canopy but the sensor at 5' read 29 degrees.  Just checked it again 1 week after freeze and there is no damage to any of the leaves.  Will post a pic tommorrow when there is good light.

quaman58

This is one of the harder hit ones for me. On lower portion of hillside, probably hit 26F. Major leaf browning, and some damage to the close-to-opening spear. Had been previously un-fazed be temps down to freezing, no prior brown spotting at all. 3 ft. plant, 1-1/2 years in the ground.

DoomsDave

Specimen in the ground, about three feet (1 M) tall, a bit of speckling after four nights of about 30 F (-.5 C?).  A bit of protection from an overhang.

2-gallon baby blackened in death after one night of 24.8 FF (-4 C) sob, but well,  . . .

dave

avb

One plant in ground at 6 ft. under heavy canopy, minor damage to the oldest leaf at 29 degrees.

quaman58

This plant did die; it just took a couple months for me to figure it out. A remarkably sturdy and beautiful specie down to about 30F. Below that appears to be another matter. It was it's second full winter in the ground.

Bret