IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A look at 4 Hawaiian gardens (O'ahu and Kaua'i)

Hilo Jason

My wife and I spent a week on O'ahu and a week on Kaua'i this past December. I've been meaning to post these pictures for a few months now but just have not found the time. So since it was raining all day here and I couldn't be out in the yard, I finally got around to doing this. On O'ahu we visited Foster Garden, Lyon Arboretum and Ho'Omaluhia. Then on Kauai we visited the Allerton Garden, however we did not take the tour since we did that the year before. We just took some pictures from their display gardens when you first get there which are still amazing.

I hope you enjoy, and please forgive me for any wrong ID's, I did my best to keep track of what was what.

Ok, first up is Ho'Omaluhia, this was a very nicely kept garden with ID labels on almost everything which made it very nice for someone like me who doesn't usually see palms like this in person!

Almost as soon as you get out of the car and head down the first available walking path, you see this:

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

My wife and I for scale!

IMG_0868.jpg

Even the bromeliads are on steroids in Hawaii!

• Upvote 1

IMG_0923.jpg

A very nice Heterospathe Glauca

IMG_0922.jpg

And a larger Heterospathe Glauca

IMG_0925.jpg

And the largest Heterospathe Glauca I saw there!!!

IMG_0928.jpg

I believe the fruiting palm in this pic is Euterpe Oleracea

• Upvote 2

IMG_0930.jpg

Areca ???

IMG_0932.jpg

A couple of giant Neovetchia Storckii

IMG_0933.jpg

Looking up into a canopy of normanbya normanbyi

IMG_0934.jpg

More Neovetchia Storckii, I believe

• Upvote 2

This section of the garden was one of my favorites:

IMG_0935.jpg

The taller skinny palms towards the front are Kentiopsis Oliviformis and then there are a few Metroxylon behind them

IMG_0960.jpg

Metroxylon with my wife for scale

IMG_0961.jpg

Zoomed in on their petioles - these are amazing palms!

IMG_0956.jpg

Most of these were one of the Clinostigma palms, and the darker green one behind me was a Cyphophoenix

• Upvote 3

IMG_0958.jpg

Zoomed in on the Cyphophoenix

IMG_0937.jpg

What a site to look up at! Sorry, I don't remember what these are, hopefully someone can chime in with an ID.

IMG_0939.jpg

Archontophoenix Purpuraea

IMG_0964.jpg

Neovetchia Storckii in the sunlight. It was cloudy most of the day, so it was great to get some sunny moments

MORE!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

FBJ:

Great pictures!

Some of those palms will grow here in So-Cal.

Cyphophoenix alba is one. I've got one starting to trunk outside my bedroom window. (Of Doom.)

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

IMG_0950.jpg

Corypha ???. I thought large Bismarckia's were stunning fan palms, then I saw these!!! Truly gigantic palms! Notice my wife for scale in front of the largest one that has been flowering and dying!

IMG_0951.jpg

This was the SMALLER of the three!!!

IMG_0976.jpg

Dypsis Lastelliana

IMG_0981.jpg

Dypsis Saintelucei!!!!!!

IMG_0989.jpg

Dypsis Decipiens

IMG_0992.jpg

Lodoicea maldivica

IMG_0998.jpg

Not a bad place for a picnic! Lodoicea maldivica in the distance

IMG_1022.jpg

Beccariophoenix Madagascariensis (Windows)

• Upvote 2

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

IMG_1025.jpg

A couple more eye grabbing Dypsis Lastelliana

IMG_1031.jpg

Dictyosperma Album

IMG_1032.jpg

Dypsis Decipiens triple in the foreground, HUGE Dypsis Pembanas in the background. Clumping on the left, solitary on the right

IMG_1033.jpg

Here's the clumping Dypsis Pembana, must have been 40 feet tall!

• Upvote 2

IMG_1035.jpg

Single Dypsis Pembana

IMG_1034.jpg

Looking up at the single Pembana

IMG_1058.jpg

A couple different Caryotas with an unreal backdrop!

IMG_1059.jpg

Borassus ?? - another gigantic fan palm. I was almost expecting to see a dinosaur come out from behind these!

• Upvote 1

Up next was the Lyon Arboretum. This was another amazing garden, although not kept up quite as much as Ho'Omaluhia which made it more fun as an adventure, just a bit harder to ID palms since not everything appeared to be labeled. A lot of the trails were overgrown but they did offer maps at the giftshop area that helped quite a bit. I will say that the mosquitos almost carried me off a couple times at this one!

IMG_1435.jpg

This pretty much summed it all up, a great sign!

IMG_1353.jpg

This was one of the first sites we saw. I never could get to this palm to see what it was. I know it was not Chambeyronia since the leaflets were too narrow

IMG_1364.jpg

From the main trail I saw huge Dypsis leaves sticking up out of the brush, I ventured off the path and found this Dypsis Prestoniana (not labeled, but looks like it to me)

IMG_1365.jpg

I then looked up and saw this Neovetchia Storckii towering above me

• Upvote 1

IMG_1367.jpg

Across from the D. Prestoniana was this Cyphophoenix (not sure if it's elegans or nucele)

IMG_1363.jpg

With me for scale

IMG_1372.jpg

No idea what these were, but they were quite the sight

IMG_1378.jpg

Areca ??

• Upvote 2

IMG_1379.jpg

This was the overall look on one of the small side trails. Amazing!

IMG_1381.jpg

Dypsis Lastelliana? (Or are they Leptocheillos? They seem so much skinnier than the Lastelliana from the previous garden)

IMG_1387.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda

IMG_1388.jpg

Archontophoenix Purpuraea

• Upvote 1

IMG_1401.jpg

I really wish I remembered the ID tag on this. It's a Dypsis and one of the large ones.

IMG_1384.jpg

Here's a closer look at it

IMG_1389.jpg

Clinostigma ??

IMG_1393.jpg

Another Clinostigma ??

• Upvote 1

IMG_1391.jpg

Kentiopsis - not sure if it's Pyriformis or piersoniorum. Maybe BS Man can help?

IMG_1398.jpg

Archontophoenix Tuckerii

IMG_1411.jpg

This was not labeled but is some sort of soon-to-be giant Dypsis!!!

• Upvote 1

IMG_1428.jpg

I don't remember the name of these. The crownshaft was a stunning blueish purple!

IMG_1433.jpg

Burretiokentia ??

Up next.... Foster Garden....

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the great images ! I think photo #4 in post 15 might be a Pinanga. ?

San Francisco, California

Foster Garden was up next. Here's a quick look at the amazing weather we had that day:

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

Roystonea Oleracea - the tallest royals I've ever seen in person! Check out my parents and I for scale!!!

IMG_1234.jpg

Looking up at the Roystonea

IMG_1240.jpg

Lodoicea maldivica

• Upvote 1

IMG_1287.jpg

For all of my cycad friends out there! Quite the sight with the Rainbow Eucalyptus in the background

IMG_1283.jpg

Not sure the ID on this cycad, I think it was an Encephelartos of some sort

IMG_1291.jpg

This was an incredible branching fan palm, sorry I don't remember the name. It was amazing to see how large this was and how much it was branching!

IMG_1290.jpg

Looking up at the branching

That's it for Foster... up next Allerton Garden on Kaua'i...

After our time on O'ahu we went to Kauai for a week. The year before we had visited the Allerton Garden and taken the official tour, which is required for entrance. However, their parking lot area and display gardens are quite the site in themselves so we spent some time there. Here are those pictures...

IMG_1622.jpg

Rainbow Eucalyptus!

IMG_1628.jpg

Another Rainbow Eucalyptus with an overall look at this garden area

IMG_1624.jpg

Dypsis Madagascariensis

IMG_1626.jpg

another Dypsis Madagascariensis

Great photos! I was at that garden back in 2006 and absolutely loved it, good to see it again even in pictures.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

IMG_1652.jpg

Dypsis Lastelliana on the left with a huge Bismarckia Nobilis towering above on the right

IMG_1634.jpg

A closer look at the Dypsis Lastelliana

IMG_1659.jpg

A nice view! Bismarckia Nobilis (center), Dypsis Madagascariensis (right) and I believe a Dictyosperma Album on the left

IMG_1640.jpg

And although a very common site through Hawaii, I do enjoy the Dypsis Lutescens quite a bit

Well, that does it for my best pictures from these gardens. it's unreal to be able to see these kinds of palms in person. Photos don't really do them justice. I'm hoping I can return to these gardens within the next year or so and spend some more time exploring them.

Also, in case you missed it, last October I went on a palm trip to South Florida and you can view all of my pictures from that trip here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=31500&st=0&p=507237&hl=fairchild&fromsearch=1&#entry507237

Thanks for looking!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the great images ! I think photo #4 in post 15 might be a Pinanga. ?

I think you are right, thanks Darold.

Great photos! I was at that garden back in 2006 and absolutely loved it, good to see it again even in pictures.

Gary

thanks Gary! This was a great trip to have our new camera on!

Jason! You've been holding out on us! A fantastic survey of palms in public gardens in Hawaii, really wonderful photos, and good with the IDs. Your wife is the perfect scale model for palm pics, I like her style. If you have more, post 'em, I really enjoyed these, thanks!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks Kim! I think Virginia makes the perfect palm model as well :) I will look back at some of the photos and see if I have more to post. I went through them all and picked my favorites this time around.

Thanks for posting. I love seeing the mature NewCals.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Jason,

Thanks for all these really outstanding photos. Lyon and Ho'omaluhia are two of my absolute favorite gardens, and so very different from each other. It's been a few years since I was there, and clearly, it's time for another visit. The Lodoicea at Ho'omaluhia is just stunning! As are so many of the palms. Well, most of them actually! :) And Foster Botanic Garden is great as well - much easier to cover because of its smaller size, but still outstanding. The branching palm in #23 is their very famous Hyphaene thebaica. If they had no other plants at all, that palm ALL BY ITSELF would be worth a visit! :)

Again, thanks for this very enjoyable tour! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Great pictures Jason

There is a big Chambeyronia lepidota at the Lyon arboretum did you by any chance see it ???

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Jason, Fantastic shots . What an incredible backdrop to these gardens ,outrageous, Very 'Jurassic Park' . Ive NEVER seen such a colourful Arch purpuraea ( Mt Lewis Alexander) is this photoshopped? Thanks for posting, Love the location, a Must See when we visit Hawaii. :) Pete

You must have your photos mixed up. I keep hearing these don't do well in Hawaii. :)

post-11-058224200 1334383236_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tour.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Great photos of some terrific gardens...keep 'em coming!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Some absolutely amazing gardens there, thanks for sharing :)

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Wow. I keep using that word on the forum and it never seems to fully convey my awe at seeing so many amazing trees. Well done.