blake_tx

Allagoptera arenaria

blake_tx

Allagoptera arenaria in a 5g

A dry 24f - No Damage

TexasColdHardyPalms

Seedlings in liner bronzed inside cold frame at 28 degrees 

blake_tx

15 gallon in the ground. 16f-low, below freezing all night. 95% defoliation. Already pushing out new fronds and is flowering !

IMG_20170114_141238.jpg

IMG_20170114_141426.jpg

gyuseppe

died to - 5.7 degrees celsius

TexasColdHardyPalms

These two are at Mercer botanical gardens in Houston. Judging from the rest of the gardens it may have dropped to 23 degrees during the January 2017 freeze.

20170127_084614.jpg

20170127_084609.jpg

• Upvote 1

_Keith

I have one and was afraid to put it in the ground.    This is very encouraging.

Phoenikakias
4 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

These two are at Mercer botanical gardens in Houston. Judging from the rest of the gardens it may have dropped to 23 degrees during the January 2017 freeze.

20170127_084614.jpg

20170127_084609.jpg

Do not be that sure until end of coming summer...

Phoenikakias
On 7/2/2017, 8:25:17, Phoenikakias said:

Do not be that sure until end of coming summer...

Hmmm, I wantend actually to reply to Giuseppe's post. 

Austinpalm

I have a 5-gallon sized A. arenaria planted between my neighbor and I (approx. 15-feet wide strip) around 2010 which survived this past winter with significant damage. All fronds were fried by a night-time low of 20F in January.  New growth from below ground was apparent within two weeks. This palm gets direct sun during the middle of the day in spring/summer and generally bright light for all other times. Generally this past winter was warm, but we did have a 36-hr  period below freezing with the 20f low in January.

TexasColdHardyPalms
11 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

I have a 5-gallon sized A. arenaria planted between my neighbor and I (approx. 15-feet wide strip) around 2010 which survived this past winter with significant damage. All fronds were fried by a night-time low of 20F in January.  New growth from below ground was apparent within two weeks. This palm gets direct sun during the middle of the day in spring/summer and generally bright light for all other times. Generally this past winter was warm, but we did have a 36-hr  period below freezing with the 20f low in January.

Any pic of it now?

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Jan 2018 mine saw 20F with freezing rain and I wasn't able to cover it at all and it basically laughed at it. No damage whatsoever its in a raised planter next to my pool about 35g sized palm

Same freeze killed 2 bizzies 15g size and spear pulled a mule palm 25g cant explain it =/ same planter