Sign in to follow this  
edric

Dypsis ambositrae

edric

Matty, Am I right in thinking that one of those plants is from Jeff Marcus in 2006 and therefore the seed was possibly from Jeff Searle's expedition as so beautifully captured in that photo above? It would be great to be able to confirm that at least. Seems that skinny clumping plant on Palmpedia is likely to be from the same seed too and like your's appears to be the same tristichous "Slick Willy" in drag. Unfortunately seed got here at about the same time so there must be the possibility of a alternative source hot on the heels of Jeff's seed. Feel free to tell me to shut up and get a life!

cheers

Richard

Hi Rich, I have an alternate source, when they're available, I purchased 100 three years ago, and then from the same source, waited until the this past November, and was only able to get 20, but they were fresh both times, and 15 came up out of 20, germination time, much less than 60 days, and are doing spectacular, but not hot on anyones heels, Ed

richnorm

Matty, Am I right in thinking that one of those plants is from Jeff Marcus in 2006 and therefore the seed was possibly from Jeff Searle's expedition as so beautifully captured in that photo above? It would be great to be able to confirm that at least. Seems that skinny clumping plant on Palmpedia is likely to be from the same seed too and like your's appears to be the same tristichous "Slick Willy" in drag. Unfortunately seed got here at about the same time so there must be the possibility of a alternative source hot on the heels of Jeff's seed. Feel free to tell me to shut up and get a life!

cheers

Richard

Hi Rich, I have an alternate source, when they're available, I purchased 100 three years ago, and then from the same source, waited until the this past November, and was only able to get 20, but they were fresh both times, and 15 came up out of 20, germination time, much less than 60 days, and are doing spectacular, but not hot on anyones heels, Ed

That's interesting Ed, thanks. Yours are direct from Madagascar right? Who collects them and do you get a photo of the parent plant?

cheers

Richard

MattyB

You do not get a photo but a hand drawn sketch of the mother plant.

Dypsis ambositrae

post-126-054805800 1334616108_thumb.jpg

Alberto

What about this population near this big rocks from where are the seeds sold by RPS?

http://www.rarepalms...ages/DypAmb.jpg

How this seedlings of D.abositrae from RPS compare to other provenances?

richnorm

What about this population near this big rocks from where are the seeds sold by RPS?

Most of the palms out there under this name appear to be very similar. I'm pretty sure RPS has had more than one collection. The most recent may still be too small to compare reliably. Whatever you have it will be a great palm.

cheers

Richard

richnorm

You do not get a photo but a hand drawn sketch of the mother plant.

Dypsis ambositrae

Well look at this ambo from Wikipedia!

post-264-034542300 1334625007_thumb.jpg

MattyB

That thing looks burnt to a crisp! It's probably D. plumosa. They can turn reddish when exposed to brighter light

richnorm

That thing looks burnt to a crisp! It's probably D. plumosa. They can turn reddish when exposed to brighter light

I thought that but if you go to the hi res version I,m not so sure it is burn. Picture was supplied by Kim Starr, I think that might be the Kim that posts here and if so maybe she can shed some light on this photo. Probably plumosa as you say (not that I have ever seen one)but she has been to Madagascar....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dypsis_ambositrae

PALM MOD

I thought that but if you go to the hi res version I,m not so sure it is burn. Picture was supplied by Kim Starr, I think that might be the Kim that posts here and if so maybe she can shed some light on this photo. Probably plumosa as you say (not that I have ever seen one)but she has been to Madagascar....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dypsis_ambositrae

No - not the same Kim.

MattyB

I looked at the hi-res photos and it's Dypsis plumosa for sure. You can see others in the background. They turn red sometimes. I made a comment on the wiki page. :D

DippyD

I think we are getting somewhere on this thread : /

DALION

I missed the first round of "fakey" ambos since I was not an active collector back then. Thanks for making a "fakey part 2" just for me. :D:blink::(:crying::sick::floor:

Leo

Alberto

Most of the palms out there under this name appear to be very similar. I'm pretty sure RPS has had more than one collection. The most recent may still be too small to compare reliably. Whatever you have it will be a great palm.

cheers

Richard

sure it will be a great palm.

my only concern is that real D. ambositrae is probably a cold hardier palm. If this are the "real REAL"(I hope so), better, but if it´s another palm but also from same provenance as ambositrae ,it´s OK for me

edric

cheers

Richard

my only concern is that real D. ambositrae is probably a cold hardier palm. If this are the "real REAL"(I hope so), better, but if it´s another palm but also from same provenance as ambositrae ,it´s OK for me

Hi Alberto, Please read posts #148, and #151, IMO the subject is closed, Ed

Moose

edric

The subject in which I speak of Ron, is if they are ambositrae, these are not from the brush, or jungle, there is nothing but cow pastures, save a few rolling hills, for 20 miles in every direction, these are the ONLY palm trees, save a few decipiens ANYWHERE near the town, that my friend, is why the subject is closed! Ed

MattyB

except for the D. decipiens x abositrae which I shall now call: "The Dypciptrae Palm"

DippyD

Bump....

Here's a couple fresh shots of mine sorry if it's a little blurry..

photo-47.jpg

photo-46.jpg

edric

Bump....

photo-47.jpg

photo-46.jpg

Hi there brent, (I do have the name right, don't I?), that's a very very nice tree you've got there, I'm going to post these photos in palmpedia, alright? Ed

edric

Bump....

photo-47.jpg

photo-46.jpg

Hi there brent, (I do have the name right, don't I?), that's a very very nice tree you've got there, I'm going to post these photos in palmpedia, alright? Ed

Sorry, it's Brett, isn't it, Brandon's friend, Pogo Bob's son? Ed

DippyD

Hey Ed, yeah it's Brett, if you would like better shots I can use a actual camera and get better detailed shots for you. This was from my

Phone in the evening and the flash made them distorted

edric

Hey Ed, yeah it's Brett, if you would like better shots I can use a actual camera and get better detailed shots for you. This was from my

Phone in the evening and the flash made them distorted

Hi Brett, that would be great, a few if you can, the photos for this species are sorely needed, thanks, Ed

DippyD

heres a few more ed, hope this helps...

photo-53.jpg

photo-52.jpg

photo-51.jpg

photo-50.jpg

edric

photo-49.jpg

Fantastic Brett, thanks a bunch, you're a credit to the forum, Ed

Cindy Adair

Beautiful palm! As the owner of two small palms labeled D. ambositrae from two different sources two years apart, I hope they turn out as nice as yours! Thanks for sharing the photos.

MattyB

Very nice! a full sun position really brings out that beautiful recurved frond.

DippyD

Thanks everyone!

Hows your plant growing matt?

richnorm

Nice Brett, thanks for sharing. Not sure if this holds in general, but it appears they can lose all petiole once trunking begins (and it's not just simply a sun thing).

DippyD

heres a couple updated photos from our growing season, ed feel free to use that at you own will.

photo-55.jpg

photo-54.jpg

Jastin

It's SO white!

Hilo Jason

Wow, that is a great looking palm! Makes me want to go out and plant more in my yard. Thanks for posting this update.

DippyD

This palm is by far my favorite I have 6 planted as that is my largest however the one gal palms grow super quick. You can't beat the dark green leaflets with a crown that's whiter than a onily!

edric

heres a couple updated photos from our growing season, ed feel free to use that at you own will.

photo-55.jpg

photo-54.jpg

Thanks Brett, I'll add them first thing in the morning, Ed
  • Upvote 1