IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis ambositrae

edric

Matty, Am I right in thinking that one of those plants is from Jeff Marcus in 2006 and therefore the seed was possibly from Jeff Searle's expedition as so beautifully captured in that photo above? It would be great to be able to confirm that at least. Seems that skinny clumping plant on Palmpedia is likely to be from the same seed too and like your's appears to be the same tristichous "Slick Willy" in drag. Unfortunately seed got here at about the same time so there must be the possibility of a alternative source hot on the heels of Jeff's seed. Feel free to tell me to shut up and get a life!

cheers

Richard

Hi Rich, I have an alternate source, when they're available, I purchased 100 three years ago, and then from the same source, waited until the this past November, and was only able to get 20, but they were fresh both times, and 15 came up out of 20, germination time, much less than 60 days, and are doing spectacular, but not hot on anyones heels, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Matty, Am I right in thinking that one of those plants is from Jeff Marcus in 2006 and therefore the seed was possibly from Jeff Searle's expedition as so beautifully captured in that photo above? It would be great to be able to confirm that at least. Seems that skinny clumping plant on Palmpedia is likely to be from the same seed too and like your's appears to be the same tristichous "Slick Willy" in drag. Unfortunately seed got here at about the same time so there must be the possibility of a alternative source hot on the heels of Jeff's seed. Feel free to tell me to shut up and get a life!

cheers

Richard

Hi Rich, I have an alternate source, when they're available, I purchased 100 three years ago, and then from the same source, waited until the this past November, and was only able to get 20, but they were fresh both times, and 15 came up out of 20, germination time, much less than 60 days, and are doing spectacular, but not hot on anyones heels, Ed

That's interesting Ed, thanks. Yours are direct from Madagascar right? Who collects them and do you get a photo of the parent plant?

cheers

Richard

You do not get a photo but a hand drawn sketch of the mother plant.

Dypsis ambositrae

post-126-054805800 1334616108_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

What about this population near this big rocks from where are the seeds sold by RPS?

http://www.rarepalms...ages/DypAmb.jpg

How this seedlings of D.abositrae from RPS compare to other provenances?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

What about this population near this big rocks from where are the seeds sold by RPS?

Most of the palms out there under this name appear to be very similar. I'm pretty sure RPS has had more than one collection. The most recent may still be too small to compare reliably. Whatever you have it will be a great palm.

cheers

Richard

You do not get a photo but a hand drawn sketch of the mother plant.

Dypsis ambositrae

Well look at this ambo from Wikipedia!

post-264-034542300 1334625007_thumb.jpg

That thing looks burnt to a crisp! It's probably D. plumosa. They can turn reddish when exposed to brighter light

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That thing looks burnt to a crisp! It's probably D. plumosa. They can turn reddish when exposed to brighter light

I thought that but if you go to the hi res version I,m not so sure it is burn. Picture was supplied by Kim Starr, I think that might be the Kim that posts here and if so maybe she can shed some light on this photo. Probably plumosa as you say (not that I have ever seen one)but she has been to Madagascar....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dypsis_ambositrae

I thought that but if you go to the hi res version I,m not so sure it is burn. Picture was supplied by Kim Starr, I think that might be the Kim that posts here and if so maybe she can shed some light on this photo. Probably plumosa as you say (not that I have ever seen one)but she has been to Madagascar....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dypsis_ambositrae

No - not the same Kim.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I looked at the hi-res photos and it's Dypsis plumosa for sure. You can see others in the background. They turn red sometimes. I made a comment on the wiki page. :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I missed the first round of "fakey" ambos since I was not an active collector back then. Thanks for making a "fakey part 2" just for me. :D:blink::(:crying::sick::floor:

Leo

Most of the palms out there under this name appear to be very similar. I'm pretty sure RPS has had more than one collection. The most recent may still be too small to compare reliably. Whatever you have it will be a great palm.

cheers

Richard

sure it will be a great palm.

my only concern is that real D. ambositrae is probably a cold hardier palm. If this are the "real REAL"(I hope so), better, but if it´s another palm but also from same provenance as ambositrae ,it´s OK for me

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

cheers

Richard

my only concern is that real D. ambositrae is probably a cold hardier palm. If this are the "real REAL"(I hope so), better, but if it´s another palm but also from same provenance as ambositrae ,it´s OK for me

Hi Alberto, Please read posts #148, and #151, IMO the subject is closed, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

The subject in which I speak of Ron, is if they are ambositrae, these are not from the brush, or jungle, there is nothing but cow pastures, save a few rolling hills, for 20 miles in every direction, these are the ONLY palm trees, save a few decipiens ANYWHERE near the town, that my friend, is why the subject is closed! Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

except for the D. decipiens x abositrae which I shall now call: "The Dypciptrae Palm"

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 3 months later...

Bump....

Here's a couple fresh shots of mine sorry if it's a little blurry..

photo-47.jpg

photo-46.jpg

Hi there brent, (I do have the name right, don't I?), that's a very very nice tree you've got there, I'm going to post these photos in palmpedia, alright? Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Bump....

Here's a couple fresh shots of mine sorry if it's a little blurry..

photo-47.jpg

photo-46.jpg

Hi there brent, (I do have the name right, don't I?), that's a very very nice tree you've got there, I'm going to post these photos in palmpedia, alright? Ed

Sorry, it's Brett, isn't it, Brandon's friend, Pogo Bob's son? Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Hey Ed, yeah it's Brett, if you would like better shots I can use a actual camera and get better detailed shots for you. This was from my

Phone in the evening and the flash made them distorted

Hey Ed, yeah it's Brett, if you would like better shots I can use a actual camera and get better detailed shots for you. This was from my

Phone in the evening and the flash made them distorted

Hi Brett, that would be great, a few if you can, the photos for this species are sorely needed, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Beautiful palm! As the owner of two small palms labeled D. ambositrae from two different sources two years apart, I hope they turn out as nice as yours! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Cindy Adair

Very nice! a full sun position really brings out that beautiful recurved frond.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Nice Brett, thanks for sharing. Not sure if this holds in general, but it appears they can lose all petiole once trunking begins (and it's not just simply a sun thing).

• 1 month later...

Wow, that is a great looking palm! Makes me want to go out and plant more in my yard. Thanks for posting this update.

This palm is by far my favorite I have 6 planted as that is my largest however the one gal palms grow super quick. You can't beat the dark green leaflets with a crown that's whiter than a onily!

heres a couple updated photos from our growing season, ed feel free to use that at you own will.

photo-55.jpg

photo-54.jpg

Thanks Brett, I'll add them first thing in the morning, Ed
  • Upvote 1

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif