IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis ambositrae

edric

Oh my josh, all of len's are different!

I think they are all the same, len just wants them to be different. i think we all want to have that one special million dollar palm and when its all said and done everyone will own 10 of the exact same thing. who knows it grows very well here for all of us no matter what it is, what they are. whatever. i think i may just remove every palm i own and plant 200 of these guys all over. then we can all sit and stare and say they are all different

No one else seems to latch onto the tristichous arrangement seen in these plants which would presumably not be influenced by growing conditions and individual variation. Real ambo is spiral and all those shots of big palms also show this arrangement.

You want to know what I beleive? I beleive some of you guys have waaaaay tooooo much time on your hands.

The truth will out.

Maybe a form of D.baronii? mrlooney.gif

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Oh daryl, you dirty rat(packer)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I think they are all the same, len just wants them to be different. i think we all want to have that one special million dollar palm and when its all said and done everyone will own 10 of the exact same thing.

It is so hard to tell when people are joking or being serious on a forum. I assume joking here because I would doubt anyone would make such grand assumptions about someone they do not know. I have said it before and I will say it again - let's see how these all grow out before someone's stamp of authority is placed on them and they are 'officially' branded.

It's funny the comments from some on here about digging too deep into things in regards to Dypsis and I certainly agree. But I find it to be one of the enjoyable things about growing palms and sharing with other palm nuts. I would say California (Rich can be counted too :) )has a greater share only because the speed at which these things grow here. We really get a lot of extra time to look at things and over analyze unlike in Hawaii or Queensland where things are overhead 2 - 3 times as fast. So I guess some of us do have too much time on our hands, but I enjoy it, and that is all I care about. I guess it is similar to all the detail the cold tolerant hybrid lovers get into and discuss.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I was being serious. The fronds look different on the two big ones. The left one looks more regular

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I think they are all the same, len just wants them to be different. i think we all want to have that one special million dollar palm and when its all said and done everyone will own 10 of the exact same thing.

It is so hard to tell when people are joking or being serious on a forum. I assume joking here because I would doubt anyone would make such grand assumptions about someone they do not know. I have said it before and I will say it again - let's see how these all grow out before someone's stamp of authority is placed on them and they are 'officially' branded.

It's funny the comments from some on here about digging too deep into things in regards to Dypsis and I certainly agree. But I find it to be one of the enjoyable things about growing palms and sharing with other palm nuts. I would say California (Rich can be counted too :) )has a greater share only because the speed at which these things grow here. We really get a lot of extra time to look at things and over analyze unlike in Hawaii or Queensland where things are overhead 2 - 3 times as fast. So I guess some of us do have too much time on our hands, but I enjoy it, and that is all I care about. I guess it is similar to all the detail the cold tolerant hybrid lovers get into and discuss.

Just humor, I'm guessing your talking about me, not knowing who I am..we've met on a few different occasions, most people just under estimate a 20 yr old who's into palms, although its been awhile, think the las time we met was at a quail show about 2 years ago and had sushi with bob, George, Gary, and a few others.

Just humor, I'm guessing your talking about me, not knowing who I am..we've met on a few different occasions, most people just under estimate a 20 yr old who's into palms, although its been awhile, think the las time we met was at a quail show about 2 years ago and had sushi with bob, George, Gary, and a few others.

Good to know. You just never know what people mean online. And I think I know who you are now - Brett? Did you change your username? I thought it was something else. Glad you are only in 20s and into palms. Wish I started then.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Maybe a form of D.baronii? mrlooney.gif

Daryl

Many a true word spoken in jest! Only the tiniest ruminations on baronii seed stopped it from being lumped in with onilahensis and who is to say the botanists won't change there minds?!

You want to know what I beleive? I beleive some of you guys have waaaaay tooooo much time on your hands.

I actually pictured you saying this yesterday... :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Good to know. You just never know what people mean online. And I think I know who you are now - Brett? Did you change your username? I thought it was something else. Glad you are only in 20s and into palms. Wish I started then.

For Everyone's Information - You can go to any member's Profile and click on "Display Name History" to see when someone changed their Display Name and what it used to be.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Dippy - Like Len - I too love the fact you are a 20 something into palms. We need more like you!!!:yay:

I gotta take exception to one of your statements however: "when its all said and done everyone will own 10 of the exact same thing". We discover weird stuff all the time. I used to not want sp. palms in the past. I wanted to definitely knows what I was putting in my garden. Guys that were planting many unknown species of Dypsis got alot of suprises. Take Bo, he collected alot of unknown stuff - and ended having alot of unusual stuff that very few had. Jeff Marcus was another. He nutured his stuff and is now a source because he got it to seed.

All the stuff being the same? I can't concur. Take my Dypsis canalicualata, it has divided. Have not heard this happening to anyone elses and is not a characteristic for this palm (that we know of). Got it from Jeff Searle and he thinks it cool. Does he wish he still had it for his own garden, I can bet he surely does. If I told Bill Sanford he could have it, he would call into work, rent a truck and would travel cross country to get it I am also sure.

Dippy - you are so fortunate to have the access to info via this forum. In the dark ages, we purchased books (wearing them out), attended local society meetings, anxiously awaited for our local society newsletters and Principes via snail mail to get any information. :bemused:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Wow, Len is in his twenty's, (I knew Matty was young) Len's been answering my questions since 2003 on Dave's Garden, Dave in SoCal as well, Brett, glad to meet you, I have such great respect for you young, brilliant guys, that have had the good common sense, ("no amount of intellectuality, can replace good common sense"), I have always been too smart, to fit in to the path that I chose, Harley Davidson's, beer, and a 1% motorcycle gang, (but was the best sheet rock hanger, and metal stud framer you could imagine), I commend you guys, and am very proud of you for not letting yourselves be run astray by your hormones, and emotions, because of my grandmother I have always had a green thumb, but that was not enough, without good common sense, to keep me out of state prison, and the Federal penitentiary both, thank God, (nature), for you wise young men! Please bare with me Dean, I know we're going astray from the topic, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I wish Ed! I am 41. Only became a plant lover in my own garden at early/mid 30s.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I wish Ed! I am 41. Only became a plant lover in my own garden at early/mid 30s.

Oh boy, and I remember some of those early on questions you used to ask me too. Ahh, just kidding! :lol:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow, Len is in his twenty's, (I knew Matty was young) Len's been answering my questions since 2003 on Dave's Garden, Dave in SoCal as well, Brett, glad to meet you, I have such great respect for you young, brilliant guys, that have had the good common sense, ("no amount of intellectuality, can replace good common sense"), I have always been too smart, to fit in to the path that I chose, Harley Davidson's, beer, and a 1% motorcycle gang, (but was the best sheet rock hanger, and metal stud framer you could imagine), I commend you guys, and am very proud of you for not letting yourselves be run astray by your hormones, and emotions, because of my grandmother I have always had a green thumb, but that was not enough, without good common sense, to keep me out of state prison, and the Federal penitentiary both, thank God, (nature), for you wise young men! Please bare with me Dean, I know we're going astray from the topic, Ed

Ed, I'm fortunate enough to where I grew up ended up being a palm city, where I live not only do we have the elder guys that started way back when and now all have nurseries, but one of my Good buddies dad happen to be one of those guys and the day I saw that yard which I'm sure most of you guys know Bob(pogobob) turned me

Into a absolute palm freek. Where I live we have at least 10 growers which started 30+ yrs ago. Ron lawyer, Jerry Anderson, Bob, you drive by their house and it sticks out like a sore thumb for a palm Mecca.

Moose, all I can do is grow the palms I get and in 30 yrs like all

These other guys I will have a nice mature tropical jungle

love billy willy

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

love billy willy

Yep. I admit it. you're next. :winkie: I can picture what you are saying right now.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

love billy willy

Yep. I admit it. you're next. :winkie: I can picture what you are saying right now.

Who are you kidding Bill, you still work your fingers to the bone, at your age, oops, going astray from the topic again, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

i couldn't find it in the posts, but someone mentioned that their palm had a twist in their leave, one of the ones i purchased from flroibunda has that and the other three don't

im not even sure what palm we are talking about anymore here is a couple of the twisted leaf

photo-25.jpg

photo-24.jpg

Oh boy, and I remember some of those early on questions you used to ask me too. Ahh, just kidding! :lol:

Haha, no doubt.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I just noticed ramenta on the newest leavesa of my big ones! Older leaves, no ramenta. New leaves ramenta. This is officially the worst thread ever now

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

As long as we are showing all the leaf variants, here is one I posted about 4 years ago. Check closely and you can see it has leaflets in 4 directions.

post-11-043504400 1334432119_thumb.jpg

post-11-009448200 1334432126_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

What a fine specimen Dean, and IMO all the specimens, in all of the photos on this thread are the same species, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

As long as we are showing all the leaf variants, here is one I posted about 4 years ago. Check closely and you can see it has leaflets in 4 directions.

Dean, with all due respect you are really muddying the waters with that shot though clearly we are already in a stagnant pool! That plant is splitting. Notice the four leaflets coming out of the one rachis. That's how they can split (as also seen on DD). Also that is a very young plant and the pattern can take a little more time to establish and with the twisted leaves may not be immediately apparent. Have you got a more recent shot?

cheers

Richard

Edited by richnorm

Here's a picture taken today of my "Dypsis ambositrae" along with a few close ups.

7077566351_d2cab19a45_b.jpg

7075995779_74a1ae59e8_b.jpg

7077559449_8c8140731b_b.jpg

6929915136_b64c76b975_c.jpg

Dean, with all due respect you are really muddying the waters with that shot though clearly we are already in a stagnant pool! That plant is splitting. Notice the four leaflets coming out of the one rachis. That's how they can split (as also seen on DD). Also that is a very young plant and the pattern can take a little more time to establish and with the twisted leaves may not be immediately apparent. Have you got a more recent shot?

cheers

Richard

Yes Rich, I realize that. I was only trying to illustrate that apparently weird things can happen with the leaves of this species, and scrutinizing individual leaves may not be the best way to ID these. As you can see, it has already split. There is a new spear about to open, and then there is this "freak frond" - and both went on to become a separate trunk. But the freak frond stayed that way, and I believe it may still be on the plant. If it is, I will take another pic, but that was 4 years ago, so it may be gone now.

And my apologizes, I didn't realize I could muddy the waters any muddier on this one. :) I just found it interesting, kind of a split frond that never really split.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

The wheels on the bus go round and round...

Wasn't this palm also referred to as Dypsis 'kindreo' a while back? I did a search for this and there is a ton of info and many posts on PT about it...

e.g One of the threads

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

The wheels on the bus go round and round...

Wasn't this palm also referred to as Dypsis 'kindreo' a while back? I did a search for this and there is a ton of info and many posts on PT about it...

e.g One of the threads

Daryl

Hi Daryl, yes all of the photos on this thread, are D. sp. kindreo, IMO, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I have a few question regarding this / these palms :huh:

I have had some input from Richard on another thread about this one but this seems to be the place to try again.

I bought this palm without any name but and was sure it was a double planted D. ambositrae.

post-6412-076196900 1334443225_thumb.jpg

It has all of the characteristics already mentioned in this thread...

Grouped / irregular leaf segmentation

post-6412-068448000 1334443387_thumb.jpg

Recurved leaves

post-6412-064850700 1334443512_thumb.jpg

Since planting this palm out about 18 months ago it has taken off like a rocket, by far my fastest growing palm and settled in without any trouble... so about 6 months ago a planted another (this time with a plant label) approx 5 feet away from the first one and it has grown like a slug and has also shown signs of sun stress

post-6412-038039100 1334443807_thumb.jpg

Both of these palms were close to the size of the smaller one in the foreground (original plant in the background)when planted.

post-6412-005790800 1334443568_thumb.jpg

If these are in fact the same palm (which i have doubted for a while now?)...can anyone offer a suggestion as to why the first one has grown so quickly, has such dark green colour and did not burn and the second one appears to be doing very different things?

Both receive exactly the same conditions... eg sun, water, soils, fertilisers etc.

Cheers

To me both your photos are different than what we are posting, I'm not seeing the same colors, new spear are red and there is little or no color on yours, the older leaves will even hold the color but like matty said the turn rusty color. Hard to tell, but I'm sticking with a different palm, maybe get a few closer shots of both palms

cheers

Richard

Yes Rich, I realize that. I was only trying to illustrate that apparently weird things can happen with the leaves of this species, and scrutinizing individual leaves may not be the best way to ID these. As you can see, it has already split. There is a new spear about to open, and then there is this "freak frond" - and both went on to become a separate trunk. But the freak frond stayed that way, and I believe it may still be on the plant. If it is, I will take another pic if it is still there, but that was 4 years ago, so it may be gone now.

And my apologizes, I didn't realize I could muddy the waters any muddier on this one. :)

I think Rich's point was you added a picture of a leaf that is sometimes seen when a Dypsis is about to split. It sends out a fused leaf that is really two. I have seen this a few times on my palms (Dypsis Bef and a Dypsis Onily). This is not a standard leaflet arrangement but rather an anomaly. Kind of like posting a photo of some micronutrient dwarf frond and pointing out it too is different.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I have had some input from Richard on another thread about this one but this seems to be the place to try again.

I bought this palm without any name but and was sure it was a double planted D. ambositrae.

Recurved leaves

Since planting this palm out about 18 months ago it has taken off like a rocket, by far my fastest growing palm and settled in without any trouble... so about 6 months ago a planted another (this time with a plant label) approx 5 feet away from the first one and it has grown like a slug and has also shown signs of sun stress

Both of these palms were close to the size of the smaller one in the foreground (original plant in the background)when planted.

If these are in fact the same palm (which i have doubted for a while now?)...can anyone offer a suggestion as to why the first one has grown so quickly, has such dark green colour and did not burn and the second one appears to be doing very different things?

Both receive exactly the same conditions... eg sun, water, soils, fertilisers etc.

Cheers

Hi Kenny, genetics, some seeds produce more spectacular specimens than others, we all can't be Arnold Schwarzenegger, Len will tell you about big red, that he got from me, D. sp. dwarf, and how amazing it is, compared to all of the rest, Ed btw yours are the same species. D. sp. kindreo

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Recurved leaves

Cheers

Hi Kenny, genetics, some seeds produce more spectacular specimens than others, we all can't be Arnold Schwarzenegger, Len will tell you about big red, that he got from me, D. sp. dwarf, and how amazing it is, compared to all of the rest, Ed btw yours are the same species. D. sp. kindreo

Maybe you just need to pump it up with some steroids

To me both your photos are different than what we are posting, I'm not seeing the same colors, new spear are red and there is little or no color on yours, the older leaves will even hold the color but like matty said the turn rusty color. Hard to tell, but I'm sticking with a different palm, maybe get a few closer shots of both palms

Just ducked out for a few clower shots, yes not much colour on the spear but I do think the same palm... some in this thread also show less colour than others. Sort of wish mine did have that nice red spear!! I could not get them in focus but this palm has just started to display the ramenta under the leaves.. need to learn to use camera better!!

post-6412-021901000 1334447719_thumb.jpg

post-6412-011940500 1334447805_thumb.jpg

post-6412-002756200 1334447849_thumb.jpg

Yes Edric, you have a point there... I agree that maybe genetics is playing a part here...maybe :huh:

I like it what ever it is :D

I just noticed ramenta on the newest leavesa of my big ones! Older leaves, no ramenta. New leaves ramenta. This is officially the worst thread ever now

i just took a look at my young D.abositraes and was a little disapointed because i didn´t see any ramenta on the underside of the leaves. But now i´m hopefull again......mrlooney.gifrolleyes.gif

How old are the palms that begin to show this ramenta?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Just ducked out for a few clower shots, yes not much colour on the spear but I do think the same palm... some in this thread also show less colour than others. Sort of wish mine did have that nice red spear!! I could not get them in focus but this palm has just started to display the ramenta under the leaves.. need to lear to use camera better!!

post-6412-021901000 1334447719_thumb.jpg

post-6412-011940500 1334447805_thumb.jpg

post-6412-002756200 1334447849_thumb.jpg

Yes Edric, you have a point there... I agree that maybe genetics is playing a part here...maybe :huh:

I like it what ever it is :D

Hi Kenny, it's apparent that the sun where you live is somewhat intense, like here, plant a shade tree a little to the west, the sun sets in the west in Aus.? yes, and all of the color will appear, but how far, and how tall can be tricky, but this species is very tolerant of many conditions, unlike betefaka, and ovobontsia, which both get scales in to little light here, not to mention the betefaka gets leaf rust, but regular spray of Neem oil takes care of that, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif