IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona rotundifolia

Gtlevine

I have no idea why this plant was alive without the freeze, but it looks perfect after the freeze as well. The temps were 27F, but the palm was below canopy.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

• 1 year later...

2 plants,20-30cm tall,one under 5 year old Washingtonia fillifera/fillibusta canopy and the other partially under it,saw 0C to -1C or maybe even -2C,

the one under canopy-> no damage at all after some weeks now

the other partially under canopy-> 50-70% leaf damage on the exposed leaves,spear untouched and palm in good condition overall :) Some spotting on the newest emerging leaf that was under canopy too...These palms were greenhouse grown till this summer that i got them so i expect better cold hardiness once they have a new,outdoors,hardened leaf set :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

This is surprisingly good news. I've lost one of these myself here in Brisbane 3 or 4 winters ago. May have been the drought though.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Its very possible.I have kept mine wet all the time,even now in the cold and havent showed the least distress from it :) In the summer,for about a month or maybe more,i had them flooded as their pot didnt have a drainage hole and i noticed that a month after i had them on automatic irrigation :unsure: But they were fine then too!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a photo update of my Livistona rotundifolia i mentioned earlier.The damage on the damaged one progressed more and it eventually became a 90% defoliation,burning most of the leaf blades but leaving the petioles just fine as well as the newest opening leaf(which opened on my care and seems that it hardened a bit being grown outdoors by me,even though it was half emerged already when i bought them...) with just some blotchy damage...The spear is completely undamaged.The damage has stopped progressing 2 weeks now so i dont expect any more die back on the leaved,maybe just a little more on the lowest leaves's petioles...

The undamaged one,just continued being undamaged :)

Here they are!

The damaged one...

DSC02977a.jpg

...and the :drool: looking one! :)

DSC02980a.jpg

I expect them to not damage again at these tempratures next winter as i expect the new,outdoors growth to be hardier,plus they will be planted in the ground in my Pyrgos garden from this March! :)

• Like 1

• 13 years later...
15 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

How cold hardy are they supposed to be?

I've heard only to 0c thats why I haven't planted out one.  Most websites say they are either 10a or 10b.

6 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

I've heard only to 0c thats why I haven't planted out one.  Most websites say they are either 10a or 10b.

Ok I haven't found any signifcant reliable data on this. I just thought of buying one the other day at the garten centre.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂