IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why I got hammered

osideterry

I'm not going to post photos of my sick collection of toasted palms. Plenty like them on this site. What's been bugging me is how I got hit so much harder than other yards in my own neighborhood.

I decided to hit the topos, and then made this lil' show-and-tell map. The San Luis Rey River is at 90ft above sea level at it's closest point to my house. I filled in all land below 100ft above seal level in blue. My yard is the red dot near the  center of the map. Imagine a river of cold air coming out of that narrow channel to the northeast, and then spreading west and south.

After winter lows of 28F, 28F and now 26F, I'm conceding to Zone 9B.

(By the way, my map is also a useful tool in case a 100ft tidal wave hits the Oceanside Pier. Looks Like I'm in the clear!)

post-662-1169247735_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I know how you feel Terry 300 yards west of my house had a little damage. My front yard looks like somebody took a blowtorch. These last couple days have been horrible. Going back and forth on what to do whether to keep planting what I have been or scale way back and just plant really cold hardy stuff. I am going to treat this freeze as a isolated event. I mean I have had a nice set up for three years and I am not going to move anytime soon. The only solace I have right now is to be able to redesign my yard this spring. But that usally goes away when I pull up each day to my black and brown palm garden. Stay strong and think about how nice your yard will look at the end of summer.

Shon

San Marcos CA

I figure some of mine are goners, while others just need time to get a new head of leaves. I wrapped all trunks in burlap. My biggest regret is that I was following advice to underwater my palms for the winter, since most don't like having cold, wet feet. One part of my yard was more hydrated, and everything looks much better. 2 months of Santa Anas has been brutal, and the freeze just topped it off.

I'll save what I can, but I'm not buying any new palms unless they are rated to 25F or lower.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)