IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

get ready socal

MattyB

Just reading about two storms that are supposed to hit us this weekend. snow level down to 2000 feet and several inches of rain for the coastal zone. what have you heard?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Sounds like it will be a cold one. 49 forcasted for a high on Sunday. Lets hope when this storm moves out and the sky clears the night temps don't hammer us.

I love the sound of rain. This will be the first time for storing free water. :rolleyes:

post-4818-078540000 1331742623_thumb.jpg

Northern San Diego County, Inland

I think you'll be seeing how your overflow works.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

accu weather has 39f. as a low for sunday for corona. I bet I see 45f. they always seem to predict lower temps than I really get. It has been a very very mild winter here for temps. High wind and lots of it this winter.

I think were suppose to get about 1 1/2" of rain from the storm Sat. and Sunday. The San Gabriel mountains should look hot on monday if snow level gets down to 2000'.

Randy

test

I'm not worried, they always seem to down grade it when the storm comes. My low is calling for 43 but ill see 45. The rain will be good for the fert I just threw down. I just really really hate wind. The only thing i think it's good for is making waves biggrin.gif

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

You're right Jastin, they do usually exaggerate the rain estimates. I told my wife that we're supposed to get several inches of rain this weekend and she said, "oh, so that means we'll get a 1/4" if we're lucky". I too decided to throw down some fertilizer hoping the rain would wash it into the soil a bit. I usually don't fertilize that way because it's useless when watering with drip and we usually only get rain in Winter when I don't want to fertilize anyway. A nice deep, soaking, Spring rain, with a sprinkle of fertilizer, will hopefully be a great start to a long growing season! :drool: (that's not drool, it's mouth rain)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Doesn't look to bad. WOW that picture is way bigger than i thought...

1e08bb2a.jpg

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Steve's at 95% but after I shoot my "hadooken"s at him he'll quickly drop to 75%.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Steve's at 95% but after I shoot my "hadooken"s at him he'll quickly drop to 75%.

oh yeah! left, right,left, A,B, right,left,left,B,B..... BOOM!!!

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

oh yeah! left, right,left, A,B, right,left,left,B,B..... BOOM!!!

Haha I think thats the actual code to do that! I used to do pretty good "hadooken's", I should start practicing again. I stopped doing Dhalsim moves cause I was dislocating my arm to many times.

You're right Jastin, they do usually exaggerate the rain estimates. I told my wife that we're supposed to get several inches of rain this weekend and she said, "oh, so that means we'll get a 1/4" if we're lucky". I too decided to throw down some fertilizer hoping the rain would wash it into the soil a bit. I usually don't fertilize that way because it's useless when watering with drip and we usually only get rain in Winter when I don't want to fertilize anyway. A nice deep, soaking, Spring rain, with a sprinkle of fertilizer, will hopefully be a great start to a long growing season! :drool: (that's not drool, it's mouth rain)

Hey Matt are you considered coastal mountains? My report says coastal mountains will get 3-5 inches with a lot of wind, I'm sure it wont be that bad though. So if you don't sprinkle with your drip(laugh.gif) do you use a fertigation system? I'm wanting to do that with mine.

No, we're not coastal mountains, we're just a small hill, not large enough to get any noticeable oreographic rain. When they say coastal mountains they usually mean the Santa Monica Range from above Malibu running eastward. I bet the smaller mountains just east of the 5 on Camp Pendleton could be considered coastal mountains also. We are elevated though and have a clear shot out to the west, as well as being on a funnel canyon, so we do receive the brunt of the west winds, that's for sure. "Haydatdatdatdaroogen"!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

No, we're not coastal mountains, we're just a small hill, not large enough to get any noticeable oreographic rain. When they say coastal mountains they usually mean the Santa Monica Range from above Malibu running eastward. I bet the smaller mountains just east of the 5 on Camp Pendleton could be considered coastal mountains also. We are elevated though and have a clear shot out to the west, as well as being on a funnel canyon, so we do receive the brunt of the west winds, that's for sure. "Haydatdatdatdaroogen"!

Oh yeah! i live in a hole. low enough to get reliable frost in winter and hot enough to make you sterile in summer. "Yoga Fire"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I picked up a large bag of Sul-Po-Mag at Niffing's Nursery yesterday and I'm gonna throw down a little of that around nutrient deficient prone species like Pritchardia.

Oh, Jastin, I forgot to answer your question about fertilization: I apply granular or tablet fertilizer at each emitter via a deep hole that I poke with a digging bar. It ain't fun and it takes a long time, which is why right now I'm experimenting with 2 year slow release tablets, designed for the foresty industry. I'm hesitant to push any fertilizer through my drip system just because I don't want to corrode my valves or clog my emitters prematurely.

Rahhhhh raaaarrrr raaaaaaa

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

WTH?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I picked up a large bag of Sul-Po-Mag at Niffing's Nursery yesterday and I'm gonna throw down a little of that around nutrient deficient prone species like Pritchardia.

Oh, Jastin, I forgot to answer your question about fertilization: I apply granular or tablet fertilizer at each emitter via a deep hole that I poke with a digging bar. It ain't fun and it takes a long time, which is why right now I'm experimenting with 2 year slow release tablets, designed for the foresty industry. I'm hesitant to push any fertilizer through my drip system just because I don't want to corrode my valves or clog my emitters prematurely.

Rahhhhh raaaarrrr raaaaaaa

Matt, have you ever thought about using a drill with a long bit instead of the digging bar? It would go faster and you would be messing up the roots just as much if you hit them as with the bar.

Didn't think about clogging up the drip tube, I'll have to do some more research.

That video is so funny, I used to think that was the coolest game in the worldlaugh.gif

I use a short broken off piece of metal broom handle in the soft, well mulched and watered areas, just because it's easier to carry around than a digging bar. I use the digging bar in the drier, harder areas, which is mostly for the fruit tree area. I don't care about hurting the roots. What I mean is that I don't think cutting a few roots hurts the plant. I think trying to drill a hole would be way more complicated and not as easy as just poking a hole.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

i GOT 1.4 " STORM TOTAL NEAR SAN DIEGO STATE MON MORNING AND MUCH MORE COMIN............... :blink:

Edited by trioderob

I'm at 1.67" storm total as of Monday morning. The ground and porous rocky hillside is finally saturated and I'm getting run-off even with light sprinkles now.

Here's a pic of the hail Saturday night.

post-126-073726600 1332174666_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Here's the Frost Advisory issued by the NWS for inland areas tonight and tomorrow morning.

Frost Advisory

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA

325 AM PDT MON MAR 19 2012

...FROST ADVISORY FOR THE INLAND VALLEYS FOR LATE TONIGHT THROUGH

EARLY TUESDAY MORNING...

.AS SKIES CLEAR BEHIND A DEPARTING COLD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM...LOW

TEMPERATURES FOR TONIGHT ARE EXPECTED TO FALL TO NEAR FREEZING IN

THE INLAND VALLEYS WITH AREAS OF FROST LATE TONIGHT THROUGH EARLY

TUESDAY MORNING.

CAZ048-050-192100-

/O.NEW.KSGX.FR.Y.0001.120320T0700Z-120320T1600Z/

SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE-

SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS-

325 AM PDT MON MAR 19 2012

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM PDT

TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN DIEGO HAS ISSUED A FROST

ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM PDT

TUESDAY.

* TEMPERATURE: FALLING TO NEAR FREEZING.

* LOCATION: WIND SHELTERED AND LOWER LYING AREAS IN THE INLAND VALLEYS.

* IMPACTS: A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE.

SENSITIVE OUTDOOR PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR

PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

We need one Epic frost for the Jeffer!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Nice work on those barrels Nick! That's cool. I bet potted plants would benefit the most from the fresh rainwater. I've always meant to set up a similar system to run the hose in my greenhouse, but just never got around to it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I got 1.59" total. I hope with the added humidity from all the rain that it will keep the frost off my plants. unsure.gif

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Some of my plants got sand blasted from the high wind driven hail.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

:D 37f this morning at 630am. no frost at all. YESSSSSS!!!!!!

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Cool.

Man, I'm looking at that tank under the house and I'm really thinkin'......

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I would love to eventually get a rain water harvesting system. those pics look great and are not imposing. ESPECIALLY in Cali where we pay so much for water. The plants would respond way better than the water that travels over concrete and tubes for hundreds of miles!

• Upvote 1

Here's a few pics I took this morning. You can see the white speckles on some of the softer leaved plants and one palm frond; this is from the wind driven hail. It only occurs on the windward facing leaves. And some of the frond damage on Pritchardias. Some of the leaves were ripped right down the petiole. Overall, everything is great though. Nothing blew over and the damage was minor and cosmetic. I didn't have my hand held Kestrel anemometer to measure the wind speed this time but I'd estimate that it was regularly gusting to at least 45 MPH for about 4 hours. I can estimate pretty good because once it goes above 45 MPH my fricken house starts to vibrate and it sucks major to be sitting in it.

post-126-058129600 1332345174_thumb.jpg

post-126-069402700 1332345179_thumb.jpg

post-126-019729900 1332345184_thumb.jpg

post-126-032260700 1332345189_thumb.jpg

post-126-026214700 1332345193_thumb.jpg

post-126-042947100 1332345197_thumb.jpg

post-126-096759100 1332345202_thumb.jpg

post-126-070346600 1332345207_thumb.jpg

post-126-059897500 1332345212_thumb.jpg

post-126-067101800 1332345217_thumb.jpg

post-126-098970900 1332345221_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Heck yeah you can eat it. I ate one of them last night, prepared unripe and green, in an Asian style salad. It's a Papaya, Mexican to be more specific. I have many Mexican and Hawaiian Papayas growing in the garden, all from seed from fruit that we've eaten, some of them second generation from our garden. They are easy to grow, fast, and the fruit is delicious. I plant them in areas that I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with yet to grow temporarily and they'll be cut down and replaced with ornamentals later. Then I'll move new papaya plants to other places. They're awesome!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Heck yeah you can eat it. I ate one of them last night, prepared unripe and green, in an Asian style salad. It's a Papaya, Mexican to be more specific. I have many Mexican and Hawaiian Papayas growing in the garden, all from seed from fruit that we've eaten, some of them second generation from our garden. They are easy to grow, fast, and the fruit is delicious. I plant them in areas that I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with yet to grow temporarily and they'll be cut down and replaced with ornamentals later. Then I'll move new papaya plants to other places. They're awesome!

Cool! Do you have any extra fruits that I can chew up and then plant?

Nothing is ripe right now. We're trying not to eat too many of them green so that we have a nice ripe fruit harvest this Summer sometime. If you've never had green papaya salad you're missing out. Anyway, no seeds in the green ones, but you're welcome to have a fruit or two once they ripen this Summmer. Honestly, I'm not gonna remember so feel free to stop by anytime or PM me and remind me.

Wait a minute, just get a fruit from the store and plant those seeds now. Duh.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Nothing is ripe right now. We're trying not to eat too many of them green so that we have a nice ripe fruit harvest this Summer sometime. If you've never had green papaya salad you're missing out. Anyway, no seeds in the green ones, but you're welcome to have a fruit or two once they ripen this Summmer. Honestly, I'm not gonna remember so feel free to stop by anytime or PM me and remind me.

Wait a minute, just get a fruit from the store and plant those seeds now. Duh.

Ok thanks! If i find one at the store will it be the same? I don't want any GMO stuff

I don't know white boy.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"