IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Upside down, 5 headed Kentiopsis oliviformis

Mike Evans

I grow a lot of Kentiopsis oliviformis. I noticed one of the 3 gal was dieing a slow death over the last few weeks. Finally, I pulled the entire top off & was going to throw the container back into the potting soil pile. When I picked it up, I noticed that a leaf was pushing out the side of the container. I thought a seed was buried deep in the container & started growing out the side of the container. I emptied the container and found 5 leaves growing underground. Note the last leaf spear starting to emerge. The green leaf was the one poking out the side of the container. Now what do I do?? Note the heel of the palm & roots growing down. So, when in doubt, turn the palm over and replant. The last pics are roots, err,ahhh, leaves planted upside down, or they right side up? Maybe this guy knows something, we don't. Is the magnetic field of the earth ready to swap poles? Lets see how many leaves survive. Right now there are 5.

post-112-052096200 1331499510_thumb.jpg

post-112-001418400 1331499514_thumb.jpg

post-112-051959000 1331499517_thumb.jpg

post-112-080839700 1331499520_thumb.jpg

post-112-038636600 1331499524_thumb.jpg

post-112-090207300 1331499527_thumb.jpg

post-112-043028900 1331499531_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well it is from the southern hemisphere, you just got the poor little thing all confused with your strange northern ways.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Well it is from the southern hemisphere, you just got the poor little thing all confused with your strange northern ways.

Peachy

:floor:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

nature sure can be cornfusing sometimes. i'm gonna guess you are going to need some 95-99% shade cloth for this one...

Grant
Long Beach, CA

• 2 weeks later...

Mike-

Its been almost 2 weeks... how's this palm doing? Is it going to die a slow, agonizing death or was it quick and painless?

Grant
Long Beach, CA

I just went out & snapped a recent pic. The new leaf spear is turning a darker green, but some of the leaves are a little desiccated from growing underground. Looks like it is going to survive. There were enough of the regular roots for it to survive. I will post pics later on, when the leaves start to really form, instead of turning to roots.

post-112-045705600 1332540926_thumb.jpg

post-112-082614200 1332540929_thumb.jpg

I've seen better looking weeds at Bill Sanfords house before. :lol:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I've seen better looking weeds at Bill Sanfords house before. :lol:

Why Thank You!

:rolleyes:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 8 years later...

Bump 

Did the palm make it, if so, I’d love to see an updated picture. 

I have 2 palms that just recently did this, one is a Tahina and it seems to be on the path to recovery. 

I have a D ovobontsira that has a new growth point 180 degrees from the old one.  What is odd is that the old one has two good looking fronds.  Not going to cut anything, but replant it 90 degrees so both growth points will lay flat to the soil.   The new growth point should turn green while the old growth point will still provide energy.  Will post pics later.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Here is the pic of the palm.  I've had doinkers in the past, but this one never corrected itself.

image.thumb.png.66658d27bc0f6b7aae0eacd19e3b9ef5.png

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 9/21/2020 at 4:23 AM, joe_OC said:

I have a D ovobontsira that has a new growth point 180 degrees from the old one.  What is odd is that the old one has two good looking fronds.  Not going to cut anything, but replant it 90 degrees so both growth points will lay flat to the soil.   The new growth point should turn green while the old growth point will still provide energy.  Will post pics later.

Joe- here are pictures of 2 palms that did the same thing for me. Both showed no new growth and then I noticed the pots bulging out the side. The new growth was happening under the soil level for months I believe. 

I carefully took them out of their pots and re-potted into wider pots to allow the plant to have both growing points parallel with the soil line. The old growing point is slowly dying off as the new one pushes new growth. All of this new growth was pure white so I have them both acclimating under shade and they have greened up nicely. 

Tahina:

CE854003-A84F-461D-99CC-4846A7D17F71.thumb.jpeg.5afb9853e6dd72ee4b04ec24cc449ffe.jpeg

3EDFDB1A-0C70-40DD-ADE7-32FEBD66D7CA.thumb.jpeg.9165a90c29995a499d3313f3f757ff49.jpeg

dypsis sp? (About 1-2 months behind the Tahina in terms of when I re-potted it) 

F1D5A6A7-ADF6-41DB-8ABC-07D19E70E118.thumb.jpeg.a8e230a5b149247504af4eb463213abc.jpeg

• Upvote 1